ALL THESE Research Points!

Discussion in 'World Mechanics' started by Johan, Feb 18, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Second page

2. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Do you think there will be Tier 2 techs to research?

Andrew Lynas and Mister Bill like this.
  3. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good question! I’m gonna say yes. And that the teleport ones are tier 2 (or higher) which is why they’re so expensive. And tier 2 researchers give a ton more points.

ShoughtLoud and Johan like this.
  4. TWW101

TWW101 Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Research was already using the tier language to mean something different so I am renaming current "land" terminology tiers ->rings for the below.

I would think it would be more based on the village. If the village can become Tier 2 (like potentially in Gods eye) than maybe there could be research at higher tiers.
    Before you mentioned it, I was just assuming that everything just branched farther and farther out with multiple ranks.
    Is tier 2 research like his talent where they are just new, or after you research something to rank 5 or 10 does it go to tier 2 as the next rank?

Going by some rough math, if ring 1 rank 1 costs 100 and going out a ring or up a rank doubles the costs, the ring 13 portal magic should cost 409,600 and the ring 12 rank 4 would cost 1,638,400. They actual costs are 53,000 and 2,302,583 for the ones we are shown so there is something wrong with the say I am trying to calculate it or the portals subsidiaries are a lot cheaper than normal for a ring 13 or like Bill said at least by portal rank 4 it could no longer be tier 1 and have a higher cost.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Johan likes this.
  5. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think there is a cost calculation behind tech costs as such. Much more likely Aleron is going by gefühlen given the variation in cost among tier(ring for those using that term) 1 rank 1 technologies. Same goes for tier(ring) 2 rank 1 technologies, the price varies.

Mister Bill likes this.
  6. Anthav

Anthav Level 6 (Footpad) Exiles Citizen

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wouldn't say there's going to be a tier 2, or separate higher ring, because the techs are already locked behind requirements like Soldiery I requiring a barracks so researching higher forms of say governance could be locked behind having a Tier 2 village/city/kingdom within the bounds of the current system which is already described as a massive sea of fog to be uncovered.

I'm intrigued on where research goes since it was mentioned that techs can be based on time of year and location, so when winter comes will farming I be unavailable and Mining I will be or since kobolds live underground on some food source will cavern farming I replace farming I thus allowing the growth of edible moss/mushrooms and other things underground?

Looking towards the future would a combination of some or all tech levels of astronomy, astrology, and basic spell theory lead to the research of star magic mentioned?

Andrew Lynas, Mister Bill and Johan like this.
  7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Probably not. Star magic is a racial tech. Though Richter's unlimited ability may come into play here.

It would make sense that you can't research farming during winter when there isn't any crops to experiment with or make observations on.

8. Anthav

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah I was referencing limitless on that since his village isn't tied to a human or other races tech tree. Restoring the bat roost could open up other interesting techs from the goblin areas, or allow for training aerial cavalry in the barracks if the bats are large enough?

I also wonder when/if he'll get a special tech tree for the dragon's cauldron like the forge once he's got some form of Alchemy, or other requirement, researched?

Andrew Lynas and Johan like this.
  9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Do we know that limitless affects research options?

10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Core building unique tech? Oh well it might be some time now that there are no free RPs available. Though it would be a great idea to check it out, seeing how much the Cauldron is connected to him, and how often the lives of the villagers are saved by potion. Then again progressing in soldiery could also prevent those deaths.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    Andrew Lynas and Anthav like this.
  11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dang, shouldn't have deleted that first post just saying "yes". Now my post is a minute late.

13. Anthav

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah both would be quite beneficial. Also considering he's got a professed farmer now and techs can be progressed by having key people in positions, Randy said that he has knowledge that will advance the village once they are available in the sea of knowledge....why not make the farmer the head of agriculture to knock out farming I?

I think Richter should have a sit-down with Randy to learn about as many positions a village could have that Randy knows about to fill those and glean those benefits where he can, or since he's the town administrator now he could fill the ones he knows of.

14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally i'd go for the low-hanging fruits first before going for expensive core techs that aren't that useful against mundane foes. Soldiery with a five percent bonus to defense and attack seems like a critical tech to get as soon as possible as it will immediately apply to every soldier they have or will train in the future. A weapon or armor upgrade would require them to replace their existing gear before they would see any effect.

My second choice would be alloys 1 followed by the other mundane smithing techs. The core techs are great if you are fighting foes that use enchanted gear or have plenty of spellcasters, but that's not a big concern thus far.

15. Anthav

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Agree about soldiery I being a priority, and would be researched quickly once queued up. After that I'm torn between the idea they should just knock out the easy ones now and get any bonus's and be well rounded and when the village can afford those...luxury techs shall we call them that are attached to the core building(s) pursue those when RP generation is higher and the foundation is laid out?

The other side of that coin for the short term is that the lack of blueprints is hindering the village so continuing to research techs that provide blueprints when available, within reason of course, is another path they could follow but that could have a negative side effect of not going down the enchantment and spell theory trees. Buildings for a tailor to make winter clothes, brewery to solve the ale problem(unless he can use more points from the cauldron to create more than a still?), warehouse to solve the rotting food problem. It'll be interesting to see what happens when he gets back to the village and sees what Randy has done with the RP's and the direction he takes them.

16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    To be honest, now that I think about it I'd probably take soldiery 2 assuming its somewhere around 200- 300 points as well as soldiery 3 if its 400-500. Might even go for soldiery 4 if its below 800 rp.

Its hard to overestimate 20% bonus in armor and defense. Its equivalent to having ten skill levels in any weapons or armor skill.

17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You are correct about people who have the base knowledge to skip research. If caulder was still alive and had a actual job, we could have gotten soldiery 1... Maybe.

Instead we have evil Lilly who has a non-job instead of a professional farmer. Maybe Sion will put the new professionals into actual positions.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Research should speed up somewhat more in the short term until they hit the max rp limit for the first rank. After that it will depend on how quickly the researchers can rank up.

I'd remove researchers (until they are required or increase their affinity further somehow) with too low affinity to reach the second rank once those with higher affinities generate enough that they are no longer required to reach the max. Those with higher affinities should keep working towards rank-up.

Researcher rank is insanely important for the research mechanic.

19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    OOOhhh someone wants a longer explanation with greater detail::DANCE::::DANCE::::DANCE::

I love explaining things.

Well lets start with the basic system.

Each rank has a cap on how many research points they can generate per day. For the first rank (novice) the base cap is 10 research points combined for all novice researchers in the faction. Its been raised some with various bonuses. Lets say its at 20 now, which i'm all but certain is 5 points higher than it actually is.

Now, every rank 1 or novice researcher generates 0.1 research point per level a day. This means that if they manage to build up a group of 40(more likely thirty) level 5 novice researchers they hit their current cap. Anything generated beyond that is lost to the ether, though you might still be able to get an epiphany and you almost certainly get skill experience for doing the work.Hence if you have high affinity it makes sense to keep your nose to the grinding stone and push through till you break out of novice rank even if your contribution is somewhat superfluous.

On the other hand, lets assime some of the novices are capped out on affinity or are close to it with little chance of reaching level 10. This would mean that regardless of how hard they work they won't be able to rank up to take advantage of the much higher cap for initiates without consuming rare items such as the fruit of the quickening, well out of the range of possibility for normal people unless Richter decides to feed the researchers quickening fruits.

From their perspective the research points they generate through hard work go poof bringing no advantage to the village and there is little chance of that changing in the future. Moving them to a position where they are able to generate value makes sense to me, and frankly I'd like to think the low-affinity researchers would want to get out of a job where they contribute nothing to their community.

Should a situation arise where they go below the cap they can always transition back in for a while, maybe research for a few hours in the evening.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2021
    Andrew Lynas and Johan like this.
  20. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You should also factor in the use of these low-Affinity/low-Level Researchers could still be of use when they get the ability to Research more then one thing at a time, if if only as padding filler Researchers and Researchers of low Level non critical things.

Mister Bill likes this.