Richters Build neither a mage nether a fighter..

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by PokemonThug, Mar 12, 2020.

1. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Heil Mighty @Exiles!

What are your'e thoughts on Richters build, can somebody post his current stats?

Should he pursue mage build or fighter or mixed..

2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He should go for the Human optimal build, whatever that might be. Probably equal across the board.

3. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    have to disagree on this one.. In the end game he should be easily killed by any high level creature lol...
    F.E. say Richto meets Nexus.. cant win on speed and fighting part.. but magic might work(member the double casted paralyze spell?)

in early & mid-game, usually it does not matter what build you have because you can cheat and pretty much do what ever.. and still win.
    Would go all mage route with additional minimal investments into assisting his killing skills.maybe would a dd a few more points to agility and dex... because of super OP str.

4. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mixed Build.

5. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    With Limitless, Mage build is the obvious choice. With enough mana it doesn't matter what they resist, and if something resists all magic then he's at a serious disadvantage anyway. Only caveat being time, he needs time to become proficient in all the magics.

That being said, it's Limitless, do everything so you'll have an answer for everything. Melee , sneak, magic, traps, bard, whatever really. HEAVY ARMOR. Still a little salty he passed up a chance to be a master in heavy armor, with all the bonuses (and eventually secret bonuses) that go with that.

6. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think that might be why AK introduced the concept of being unbalanced in stats and some stats doing more for different races and creatures. If there were not than any specialized build over time would be able to crush a jack of all trades due to min maxing. But, if your rogue can't just max agi, dex, etc. and crush the well rounded guy who can snipe. Makes limitless much more powerful.

I still think the tiers put a big wrench in my above argument due to those crazy bonuses favoring specializing, but being a chaos focus seems to encourage a more well rounded build.

ShoughtLoud and Johan like this.
  7. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Considering the stats are a reflection of his body and mind it makes perfect sense that some stats need to be raised as a fundament for others. That said, while everyone needs constitution to support their body, a mage can probably get away with favoring intelligence and wisdom heavily. Similarly a rogue could focus more on dexterity and agility, while only raising their strength, intelligence and wisdom minimally.

Luck is the one stat they can utterly ignore without negative consequences.

8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wouldn't a master mage have more than enough spellslots whether they have limitless or not? If you can have 50-60 spells ready to go in just one school and however many you want stored in your grimoire limitless is mostly pointless. It does give you some flex, but a smart mage could make up for that with planning.

The trap of limitless is that you end up spreading your efforts out over way too many things, which is exactly what Richter is doing. A chaos seed with death magic at 100% affinity (no matter the skilllevel) could become a grandmaster necromancer while Richter is still trying to raise 50 different skills to journeyman. His strategy is working because he is fighting on a fundamentally uneven battlefield, a higher being (chaosseed human) against mortal level natives. Once he faces opponents with resources similar to his own trying to be a one-man party is going to backfire badly.

Not saying he shouldn't learn as broad a variety of skills as he can, he should, definitely skills such as gambling or unarmed combat that give boosts to everything instead of a single area. But its past time for Richter to settle on his MAIN skills, whether that be swinging a warhammer while occasionally throwing spells or some other combination. He needs to have trust that his companions will have his back. Of course, he realistically cannot have that trust as they are simply too lacking in power, with the exception of Randy (so he could at least cut the sneaking/ blade skills from his main skilllist, leaving that kind of thing to Randy).

S'ahelas and Cire122 like this.
  9. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think heavy armor will still have penalties for casting even as a master, i think they can be avoided at high level in medium armor though.

With his new bloodline, he should be able to skyrocket himself at least to apprentice in medium.

Barracks bonus plus bonus from having Terrod "training him" plus his fast learner ability.

All he has to do is stand there in some high quality medium armor, then activate the blood line for 2 minutes (36 extra defense is probably enough) and let 5 of his guards just wail on him with high steel swords.

Have sumiko standing by just in case, but with 2 minutes training every morning, the fully staffed forge to keep his training armor (enchanted with increased defense and durability) in decent repair, he would advance through novice and initiate to apprentice in no time at all. That would remove a good portion of the movement penalty and make him a better tank, since he always ends up in the thickest part of the battles.

10. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hence my caveat of time. Given enough time, Mage is the way to go.
    Probably still some penalties yes, though heavily reduced. But it would also have allowed him to level his Mage skills faster. They level faster when trying new and more difficult things so it could have been a good counter benefit to his maxed affinity slowing down his progression.

Agreed, he should definitely train up any and all armor skills each day with the guards. Given his proclivity to go off on his own and lose access to things, having a decent armor level across the board could only help in case he needs to borrow some.

Andrew Lynas, Cire122 and Joe Schmoe like this.
  11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There has to be some drawbacks to medium armor even at the higher ranks. Hmm. Or perhaps light armor gets some kind of bonus?

Heavy armor grandmasters probably do not have to deal with much of a penalty.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  13. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think when maxed out usually heavy and light armor get bonuses with penalties while medium armor sits without either. Like light armor allows dodge / attacks miss while heavy might get damage reflection. Downside being light armor lacks sheer defense and heavy is... well, heavy. Heavy also usually gets bonus to unarmed.

I know he wouldn't get the full set bonuses this way, but I think Richter should wear mixed armor. Heavy wrist bracers/gauntlets at least, allow him to level unarmed and heavy in the back ground while he focuses elsewhere.

14. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am still struggling with this because I love min maxing when I play games, but if he truly has to be balanced and his chaotic nature is pushing him to be broad based and not specialized maybe for him it is most important to not skimp on his less used skills e.g. unarmed combat boosting his natural armor. Maybe he should just focus on those skills which give permanent passive buffs.

Kinda like giving the low skill player the hero with all passive skills and only one active.

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That would depend entirely on how skills grow. For instance, wearing light gauntlets could contribute 10-15% of skillgrowth for wearing light armor, giving a fragment of normal growth. Similar for other pieces. If you can mix without drawbacks that could be worth it I suppose, though I'd expect a hidden boost to skillgrowth for wearing a full suit of one type.

Joe Schmoe and ShoughtLoud like this.
  16. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I expect there might be a full armor set progression bonus as well. I was mainly thinking of utility.

I don't know if I'd relegate hard percentages to each piece though. It seems like use is the most important part of skill leveling. So if he goes in with leveling in mind and actively used his gauntlets for defense/attack he should see relatively normal skill growth. It'd go faster with a full armor set just because it would catch all the things he misses but otherwise I don't see why pieces should be at innate disadvantages to progressing skill growth.

I'm definitely behind "Beat the Lordling" practice in the mornings though.

Johan and Joe Schmoe like this.
  17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thats a favorite of mine. Though I would honestly want everyone to have at least an hours worth of unarmed combat training in the morning after exercising. It would be worth it.

After that comes weapons and armor training. I'm not so sure I agree blocking things with armor is the only or best way to level it, learning to move the right way in armor, and exercising in it should also have an effect. That's how Richter and his companions would spend the first 4 hours of the day. Especially Beyan, he desperately needs training.

I still find it odd Richter has not considered the training of his people, at least a little. He is supposed to be a student of medicin, which means he knows how important exercise and eating right is.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  18. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wonder what a Set of purposely designed Mixed Armour as a SET would give someone wearing it? Especially if it was designed to give effects of increased Skill Experience Growth in Armour and Maybe Lighter Weight?

19. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Village bonding.[​IMG]

Johan likes this.
  20. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If the calisthenics of running with and training in heavy armour would translate to light armour. The constitution Endurance and other secondary traits would increase, but would the skill increase for armour? Though I suppose that if one doesn't gain skill in heavy armour while training, just as one wouldn't with light armour, it wouldn't matter what they normally wear. Train with whatever armour increases your stats the most.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020