POLL Richter's First Combat Skill

Discussion in 'Disagreements' started by ShoughtLoud, Apr 14, 2020.

?

Which combat related skill will be the first to reach Journeyman Rank at skill level 45?

1. Blood Magic

30.8%
  2. Chaos Magic

15.4%
  3. Small Blades

15.4%
  4. Swordsmanship

7.7%
  5. Archery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Mace Wielding

15.4%
  7. Staves, out of left field

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Dual Wielding

15.4%
  1. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He's like a vegemite sandwich right now. Spread thin across a lot of skills, and we're not all certain we like it.

Cast your votes!
    Ask for additional poll answers!
    Win those bragging rights 30 books from now!

PokemonThug and Titus like this.
  2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm hoping for macewielding, he has all the prerequisites to use it to great effect. Plus maces bypasses some of the armor, which could be critical at higher levels.

Titus and Johan like this.
  3. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree with the Mace skill, but blood magic is tied in my mind. The automatic gift of blood Magik spells as he levels will greatly benefit the skill, do to the higher level. Also there is a required amount of blood Magik to be used because of his tamed beasts. The spells are also extremely useful in battle, where he gains most of his Experience.

But for the make skill, it is like he has a trainer inside his head. But experience might not translate to skill.

Cire122 likes this.
  4. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Most likely Small Blades first, at very least in Close Combat Weapons, then probably Archery. In Magic not sure, would depend on a lot of things, although depending on what Richter Builds with his Core and if he Successfully Builds some of the other PoP Element Aligned Buildings he might actually get a Magic Skill up to 45 first?

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  5. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    With the Barracks Martial Skill Training Boost and his new Boost to Levelling Combat Skills in his War Leader Skill he should be able to noticeably decrease the time needs to get a Combat Skill to Lvl45, possibly even significantly reduce the time needed. Plus there are probably other ways to do this as well.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
  6. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think he will dual wield short blades anymore, which is why I'm not voting for it. It seems since his rank bonus, a non -short sword will be used. So half the XP. Though nice for the dual wield skill. Mace + short sword, hopefully.

Titus likes this.
  7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah but if it takes 10 years for an average person to reach skill level 45, doubling his rate of advancement wouldn't do much for Richter given the kind of timeframes he operates in.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  8. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There probably other methods to help in this, for instance Items and Weapons that help in Levelling a Particular Combat Skill (plus noncombat skills), and most likely other ways as well. Not even mentioning Skill and Expertise Books.

9. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I had been this until I remembered that the time to level a skill is affected by your affinity. Given Richter's constant 100% affinity, his skill leveling is significantly faster than basically anyone else's. It depends on how great an impact affinity has, but this coupled with the fact that he jumps from battle to battle, could allow his martial skills to hit level 45 in weeks rather than years.

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Even with max affinity it still takes years. Without it reaching journeyman becomes very difficult and Master is out of the question if you lose 1% affinity per level.

I suspect there is a true affinity that goes beyond 100 which you can be born with but cannot earn (as once you pass 100% affinity through artificial means you simply level and lose 10% affinity). It explains why some people with 100% affinity can reach Master or grandmaster, while others cap out before. Their inborn talent was higher than their affinity indicated.

11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is all on which can be cheated the quickest. Did blood krystals effect blood magic and give him a bunch of levels in it? If yes, then it will be faster. How likely is it he will find a skill book in the sea of kaos that is more a Martial skill? Pretty likely.

Cire122 likes this.
  12. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Right? He just needs to farm those lower levels

Johan and Cire122 like this.
  13. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd like to see see Richter Learn a Skill that allows him to Use his to Place/Infuse his Mana into his Weapons for Combat (without Exploding) to at least give them some Elemental Mana Damage and possibly Effects, maybe the same for Armour and Shields.
    And Similarly for him to Learn some Sword&Mace(ect) Skills that utilize Ki like some of his Archery Skills do, as maybe for some for Armour. Or better yet a General Ki Manipulation and Use Skill that can be used to Argument his Body and Equipment and Ki based Skills, if only if in small ways.

14. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No reason it shouldn't work, the problem is whether or not he's apparently at the right skill level before he can learn the various chi subskill, like with stun shot

15. Titus

Titus Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That actually would be great. It seems with the massive boost to his strength and the style he consumed will lend more to that. Although if we go by how he used his powers so far underground, it looks like he may turnout using the mace most of the time while using magic in his offhand.

16. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was wondering, if he can't Level his Unarmed Combat Skill while he has a Weapon (knife, sword, mace, ect) equipped wether he can Level it if he is wearing a Weaponised Gauntlet or Glove (something with spikes or a Combat Enchantment), like the one he made and wears in Monsters? I would have thought that he could, and if so then he might want to think about making a dedicated Unarmed Combat Gauntlets, Boots, ect to aid in him increasing that Skill.

Cire122, ShoughtLoud and Johan like this.
  17. Titus

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can h
    I can honestly say, I haven't thought about that. He was complaining about it in the book if I recall. I'll have to read it again to be sure. But he only made one gauntlet right? If he is capable of making two, then I see what you mean.

18. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it was only the one gauntlet he made, and I hope unarmed doesn't mean just fists. He's strong enough to do it now, but it'd be nice if it at least allowed for gauntlets if not dusters and the like without them being rank bonus locked. Most of his enemies are gonna be wearing some armor that would probably break his hands other wise.

Leveling unarmed will be bad ass for his eventual punching through Mage shields due to his high strength, some future bad ass gauntlets and his Mark from the Forge of Heavens leveling with the building. He should also get on that heavy armor game, there's definitely a synergy between it and unarmed combat.

19. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If I remember correctly the Goblin WitchDoctor had some Bone Knuckledusters that increased Unarmed Damage, so it seems likely. 1 to Defence, 3 to Unarmed Combat Damage.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
    Johan likes this.
  20. Titus

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That....would be awesome. It would make sense to heavy armor for gloves, especially if he doesn't use any type of chi or whatever to power them. Fire based gauntlets perhaps?