POLL Richter's First Combat Skill

Discussion in 'Disagreements' started by ShoughtLoud, Apr 14, 2020.

?

Which combat related skill will be the first to reach Journeyman Rank at skill level 45?

1. Blood Magic

30.8%
  2. Chaos Magic

15.4%
  3. Small Blades

15.4%
  4. Swordsmanship

7.7%
  5. Archery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Mace Wielding

15.4%
  7. Staves, out of left field

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Dual Wielding

15.4%
  1. Titus

Titus Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Do you remember where that was mentioned in the story?

2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hitting the vital spots of the Wurm when the skin was torn off would have been the perfect opportunity to level unarmed combat and pressure points.

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If you are wearing a weaponized gauntlet you are not unarmed. Just as you are armed if you are using a brass knuckles.

Now that I think about it, a gauntlet doesn't really need to be weaponized in the first place, getting stuck with a fist covered by a steel gauntlet is going to hurt regardless. Same for getting kicked by a foot covered in a Sabaton - likely that would hurt at least as badly as getting struck by a mace.

4. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    we have seen bone knuckles for increased unarmed combat and boots that increase [unarmed combat?] kicking.

5. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gauntlets /knuckles are used in a way that is consistent with fighting while 'completely' unarmed though. Having a pair of gauntlets on just changes how hard you can hit things, while also restricting some motions. If you take all those away then Leather /cotton wraps should also technically count as 'armed'.
    Rank bonuses could be it, allowing for progressively less 'unarmed' implements, but I feel like that's less true to the skill. First you would want to use implements, then as you progressed through the ranks (increasing your natural defense) you wouldn't need the crutches as your bare hands became progressively more bad ass. Rank bonuses could give you even more natural defense for your hands when not wearing gauntlets, or a really high resistance to puncture/slashing implements or some such

Andrew Lynas and Titus like this.
  6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In that case apparently you can use weapons for unarmed combat in Aleron's universe. In our world brass knuckles, bone knuckles and so on are considered weapons and as such you are not unarmed when using them.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Boots are not considered weapons, so it makes perfect sense for them to have an enchantment that supports kicking techniques or damage.

I suppose one could use an elbow strike and similar unarmed techniques while wearing brass knuckles, but I do not see a reason the same wouldn't be true while wearing a mace. You are equally unarmed.

8. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Bone knuckles are considered armour in The Land. The leather hand wrapping was also armour. At least in such a way that both have defenses ratings while not having an attack rating. Even a magic wand has an attack rating, if you hit someone with it I suppose. The gauntlet is also armour with a defense rating but with magic damage as well.

Edit:
    So as long as he isn't holding a weapon, then he could attack with armour and get unarmed skill progression. Bonus because the gauntlet is enchanted to have offensive magic that crossed the attack/defense or arms/armour line. A line that would otherwise compromise the unarmed skill progression.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Andrew Lynas and ShoughtLoud like this.
  9. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For legal reasons yes, in our world brass knuckles are considered a weapon because they drastically increase damage. However, even in our world, it is unarmed combat skills that would be implemented when using brass knuckles, for instance they would be especially dangerous in the hands of a boxer or MMA fighter, while someone who won a gold medal in archery in the olympics would have no greater benefit from them than I would.

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ok maybe I was being a little petty :)

technically unarmed fighting precludes the use of brass knuckless, thereas hand-to-hand combat does not (I'll assume Aleron uses unarmed fighting as a catchall for various forms of hand-to-hand combat that are not focused around weapons). Brass knuckles are however a solid weapon, if you know how to strike or get lucky you can shatter bones. Used right they also protect you against damaging your hands or fingers, according to wikipedia, though i'm unsure how much credit to give that. No doubt they can disperse the impact force.

11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wonder what bone knuckles actually look like. Is it actually like brass knuckles or more like an armoured glove. When I look up bone knuckles some are made from spine bone, another is made from a jaw bone.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Does holding onto a ball or stick while punching do anything beneficial for your attack if you are still just hitting with your fist?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Kinetic energy transfer allowing you to hit somewhat harder without breaking your fingers/ hand? Part of a good pair of knuckle irons is a little piece of metal that you support against the heel of your hand, allowing you to take the impact with something a little more solid. At least that is my understanding from browsing around on the subject.

Andrew Lynas and ShoughtLoud like this.
  13. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Did Richter Learn the Increase Unarmed Combat Damage Enchantment from the Forge? If he did I wonder why he didn't use that on the Gauntlet he made?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2022
  14. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not 100%, but I don't think so.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well with a limited number of enchantment slots he has to prioritise things that will help in the majority of situations. So the question becomes, what will he be using the gauntlet for?

16. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I thought the unarmed damage was inherent in the knuckles, not enchanted

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was wondering about that. I seems like a buckler shield or arm guard more than a glove for attacking.

If he can get a weapon that does not need the malleable iron, he can remove it from the other and make a matching set. Then enchant both with lots of goodies.

It would be amazing if he can find enough material for a full body set. It could be near perfectly fitted. Just make sure to plan out the crotch and ass so you can release waste properly.

18. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You can't tell, unless specified, if the bonus is material based or Enchanted as such. The problem is Richtær Analyse and Identify might not be able to give that info. Remember the ice staff? The Ælf he sold it to was able to tell much more about it than Futon provided.

19. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One thing I wish he did with the forearm glove is try and attach talon spikes of the tier 2 ravager wurm. Either give him batman's forearm spikes or maybe something similar to a gauntlet with spikes coming out of the knuckles.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2020
    Andrew Lynas likes this.
  20. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Indeed, Knuckle, Fore Arm and Elbow Spikes. Also possibly Foot (toe and heel) and Knee Spikes if he had enough Material to attach them to.

I think that he is using some of the Spikes(teeth/claws?) as Throwing Spikes, so that would help him increase his Throwing Skill.

Johan likes this.