POLL Richter's First Combat Skill

Discussion in 'Disagreements' started by ShoughtLoud, Apr 14, 2020.

?

Which combat related skill will be the first to reach Journeyman Rank at skill level 45?

1. Blood Magic

30.8%
  2. Chaos Magic

15.4%
  3. Small Blades

15.4%
  4. Swordsmanship

7.7%
  5. Archery

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Mace Wielding

15.4%
  7. Staves, out of left field

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Dual Wielding

15.4%
  1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Will Richter now use his sword more often than before, because he knows fighting styles? Or will he always set up Blood and Chaos magic spells before/during combat?

2. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter specifically chose combat techniques for the Sprite fighting style that could be used with any weapons. The combat techniques from the Granite Breaker fighting style require Maces. I suspect he will dual wield with Mace and Short Sword when possible.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  3. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maces and Clubs, although I suspect that many of the Moves and Forms can also be used with many single handed Hammer type weapons, possibly a few Axe types as well?
    Be interesting to know if the Granite Breaker style can be used with Heavy Double Handed Maces and Clubs as well as Single Handed ones?

But yes, I also suspect that he will be using a mix of Small Blades & Maces, or Swords & Maces whenever possible.

Would like to see him using more Heavy Two Handed Weapons and Long Weapons in the future, at least enough to gain and improve those Skills.
    Also see him Learn Mounted Weapon Sub-Skills for Spear, Sword, Bow and Mace, and maybe Spell Casting?

I'd also like to see him Learn Skills for Slings & Sling Shots and Whips, and other unusual Weapons Skills like Boomerang, Morning Star (and other Chain weapons), and maybe even Blow Pipe and Combat Yoyo.

I'd also like to see him at least begin to Learn a Weapon Style/Techniques for Swords (Primary for Longswords but can be used for other types), for Spears and for Staves (preferably with some cross use between Staffs&Spears), one for Bows and an Unarmed Combat Technique.
    And possibly a Sub-Skill or Style to help him increase his ability to inflict and do bodily damage with his Body when Wearing Armour, maybe a Sub-Skill of either (or both?) Armour or Unarmed Combat?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2022
  4. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    #Johan any Chance of a Thread that Lists his Combat Skills (and preferably there Levels at the end of the different books)?
    Maybe another for Non-Combat Skills?

5. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maces and Clubs seems to be one weapon type, clubs being improvised or crafted rather than forged.

As for new skills. I think Richter is foolish not to introduce himself to every possible skill in the land as quickly as possible to discover synergies, and bonuses, and for use in emergency situations. However, I think he needs to focus on one or two combat skills, and leave the rest basically un-leveled for now.

Andrew Lynas and Chard like this.
  6. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There is a little continuity issue. Richter was using a non-short sword when Yoshi was teaching him the sprite fighting style. Why does it now require at least one short sword?

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  7. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If I remember correctly I think it was mentioned in one of the books something like that much of the Techniques Forms could be used with non short blades but with some modifications needed, but presumably for the actual Special Moves to be used/work correctly a short sword would most likely be needed?

8. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    lol okay,
    Will Richter now use his short sword and mace dual wield more often than magic, because he knows fighting styles? Or will he always set up Blood and Chaos magic spells before/during combat?

9. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, to both, when possible.

10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The reason for the question is about percentage of skill use. Will he be a rogue that prepares the battlefield with magic, like he did with the worm/wurm vs. orc fight? or will he use his fighting skills more as he has become a much more deadly warrior (weapon instead of magic).

11. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think this is an adequate answer if it interpret it correctly.

He will use blood, chaos and other forms of magic to prepare for battle where possible. How often that will be the case in the underground is hard to say. Once he is engaged he will use his deadly expertise with a mace/warhammer (two-handed is his best bet imho, he doesn't have the mentality to get max use out of a shield, too aggressive to be a good tanker. A fast, lightly-armored, spellcasting barbarian is Richter's true calling, throwing spells and wailing on the enemy while relying on armor, resistances, healing and a massive HP bar to survive his lack of active defense. In other word, he is pure dps.), but I imagine he will keep combat casting whereever possible.

12. Waterhobit

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think I agree with most of that. I think a great deal of his magic going forward will continue to be preparatory, followed by fast brutal melee combat. Bring tamed creatures, summon a few more, Imbue an arrow to start the battle, and then it will be fast brutal combat using a dodge and parry defense.

But yes, as his melee skills rise, we will see fewer fireballs and lightning bolts.

13. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I suppose it depends on the enemy. Underground away from civilization I would assume much more scuffles to quickly become melee, with a few quick spells or no spells being cast. If he is against magic casters that also requires time to buff and cast spell, then it he will summon probably and use chaos magic or perhaps blood magic. If he is in a group, then we will see more magic to prepare the battlefield before entering combat, with chaos and blood magic use. If it is just him and his is infiltration, then much more magic, but probably not chaos or blood. At this point in time, he will almost always be in a group (golem and worm) that can go into melee first, while he buffs like a hunter with an animal companion.
    But if there is a group will they be handled by the companions or will he needs to get into the melee fight
    man it is really tough call. the MC will be using lots of magic besides blood, but he will also only be using one short sword, and at the moment I think he only has a small blade (dagger). Now that he has reached people, he will probably get a short sword back again. but still it will only be half of the two weapons. And with two weapons there is much less chance (I think, unless he can spell cast with a weapon in hand), to caste magic during the fight, than before the fight.
    Maybe the option should be to pick a Dual Wield. It does not matter what weapon he uses, as long as there are two. He has skills that require dual wield but not a weapon type. He is already level 13 in the skill. He will gain more skills as he advances in dual wield alone independent of weapon type. But can one profess in that skill?
    @Shoutloud can we add dual wield as an option?

14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Blood magic doesn't seem like it has that many combat applications? I think of it as a buffing/ enhanced recovery/ control (of yourself and others) oriented power. Dread harvest was admittedly effective, but those goblins were very low level and they were facing the equivalent of godlevel magic. Even then the primary use was to get mana from the battlefield, the goblins were just too weak to resist the pull and died outright.

In chaos magic he has that one spell. Too early to say how useful chaos magic will be.

15. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the problem with being a stand-alone Mage is that he lacks defensive spells. He's got two shields but being in the weak rank they're pretty worthless with the monsters and people he'll come up against, sanguine protection will be a huge boon once he unlocks it and should improve his Mage game considerably (albeit only allowing blood spells but still). Otherwise his current style of summon boost and maybe if there's time a magical attack is gonna be about the best he can do with what he's got.

Johan likes this.
  16. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    At the moment his only Ranged Attack option is via Magic, or throwing a Spike or tossing a rock. So that will likely help in increasing his Magic Levels, at least till he gets himself a Bow or Crossbow, or even some Throwing Knives or Spears or similar. Will be interesting if he figures out how to Imbue other Ranged Weapons.

I was a bit Surprised that he didn't Raise something as a Zombie in the Wurm v Orc fight as an additional combatant.

He should have a a opportunity considering all the Dead Orcs to pick up some replacement Weapons and Armour, although the living ones might not be to happy with that, especially if he tries to get some really good ones.
    Presumably he will try and get a replacement Sword (preferably a Short Sword but anything will do), possibly a new Mace if he can find one better then the one he made, a Dagger/Knife or three and a Ranged weapon like a Bow or (more likely considering they are underground and so confined spaces) a Crossbow. But pretty much any type of weapon he can pick up at the moment would be ok with him, unless it's less effective that what he has made for himself?
    Plus of course he will want to scavenge some Armour for himself, although might be limited due to size issues and battle damage, plus Orcs tend to favour Medium and Heavy Armour (might be an opportunity to increase his Crafting Skill and learn the Weapon & Armour Repair Skills?).
    Be interesting to see what he can get and how the Orcs he pretty much saved react to him looking to get Arms and Armour. Plus whatever else he might find on the dead?

Dual Wielding different sizes and types of weapons seems to increase that Skills Levelling rate, especially if they are unwieldy because of it. Doing so with weapons that he is less Skilled with might also have that effect?

Johan likes this.
  17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Great idea with the summon weak zombie.

18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good question. We do not really know much about orc culture. Assuming Aleron went with a version that are somewhat intelligent and capable of peaceful talks, its likely taking the weapons of the fallen will offend them. Those most likely belong to their families now, not some rando showing up out of nowhere.

19. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Especially one that openly uses Blood Magic.

20. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Would the orcs be able to force the issue if Richtær strips the bodies of what he wants? Those bodies are no one's rightful claim, so Richtær could force the issue. Otherwise, MC did somewhat save the other orcs, so I suppose they owe him.