WIP Rise of the Crimson Kingdom

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Alara Branwen, Jul 29, 2017.

1. Alara Branwen

Alara Branwen Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I read the forum rules and I think it's okay for me to post here. I wanted to start a thread about my writing so I could post updates and things like that. I find that doing something like this gives me more motivation to write.

I am doing something like this on another thread. I posted while I was writing my first novel and found myself being more productive so I kept doing it. It was actually in that thread that one of the members (Tom Gallier) actually suggested I try LitRPG because of my love for gaming.

I have started doing something in that thread for my second book. I'm portraying the character of Bevis from the cartoon Bevis and Butt-Head, and going through his thoughts as "he" is writing my novel (I know that sounds really weird). If people wouldn't be too put off by it here, I can do that here as well.

If not I'll just do regular updates and stuff. For now I'll just make a regular intro post.

Yesterday was a pretty productive day. Despite a four hour D&D session I wrote around it and managed a pretty good number of words. Today I plan to do about the same number, though I am exhausted and might not reach that goal. Anyway here is to another book and more words.

7/28 Word Count: 5,397
    Total Word Count: 5,397

2. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wooo!

Matthew James and Eden Redd like this.
  3. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Keep at it, I would like to read it.

4. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can't resist the urge for this...

5. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Seagram you are awesome! I didn't even know this existed. Heh well, my book has a theme song when it releases. I really love that song, I will have to do more research into Steve Hackett.

Thank you Ian! I saw your Alpha World Book "Forming the Company" and it looked really interesting (kinda helps you have a hot demoness/succubus) on the cover. I really want to pick that up and see the awesome story that rests inside.

Speaking of book. F ME RUNNING. Today was full of loud distractions. I had a difficult time focusing. I had to stay up until the really early morning to actually get some decent writing done. Even then I fell short of my goal, but I think I did okay.

I've been thinking about my first book and that is what's kept me going. I get scared that it's going to take me too long to publish the second and I'll fall into the dust. Anyway, the word count for today.

7/29: 3,970 words

Total: 9,367 words

Matthew James and Felicity Weiss like this.
  6. Matthew James

Matthew James Blind Beholder Beta Reader Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Hu-hu-hu-hu.

Not sure about the legal issues involved with that, but this short story about The Thing was Hugo Nominated, so go for it.

I actually came up with some ideas for my main story by thinking up a John Cho & Kal Pen Princess Rescue Tournament: Storming White Castle story in a serial format, all based in my game world. Started with a Pulp Fiction intro where they talk about the future and toasters, egg timers, and automated driving, and then they "kick in the door" and the story starts. The cast of How I Met Your Mother, Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia, and my favorites from 30 Rock all showed up in the outline.

My parents still hate Beavis & Butt-Head because for about 2 years myself and my siblings would burst into laughter whenever one of us started making the "Hu... huhuhu / Nehehehehhe" laughs.

7. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Should have mentioned it in my post, the song is from an old progressive rock band King Crimson. It was similar to The Alan Parsons Project and Ayreon in that it didn't have a hard and fast group membership. People would drift in and drift out.

Part of this performance was the late John Wetton, who had been in the original King Crimson and also, Asia.

Matthew James likes this.
  8. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Seagrim: I forgot that guy was a member of Asia! They are one of my favorite if not my favorite power group. Heat of the Moment is an awesome song.

So as far as progress on my book goes.

7/30 Word Count: 6,731

Total word Count: 16,098.

I'm only 1/7 the way through my outline. This is going to be a LOOOONG book...

9. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good I like long books

10. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really enjoy long books as well DJ. That was one reason I loved the Lord of the Rings so much. I got to spend more time with characters I cared about. Did you read my first book DJ? If so, what did you think? When I'm done with this book I'm gonna take a nice long break and read "Gamer for Life." I wanted to start with the second book because of it's cover, but I hate starting on book two of a series.

So for progress.

7/31 Words: 5,680

Total Words: 21,778

All that writing and I still didn't completely knock out the plot point I wanted to get today. Oh well, I'll get to it tomorrow.

11. DJ Schinhofen

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've read damn near everything in the genre. I seemed to have missed yours though. I have added it to my list, but it might take me a bit to get there. once I do I will let you know, I do like some good sexuality.

Matthew James likes this.
  12. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Awesome man. Well let me know when you finish one of my books, then I can read one of yours and we can trade reviews. I am always looking for ways to get better and this could be a way to do it.

8/1 Words: 6,239

Total Words: 28017

I'm coming up on my plot points so my fears of writing too long were unfounded. It's still going to be longer than my first book though. I must keep writing as fast as I can. When I am done with writing and all of the editing, I'm going to take myself out to something nice. Got to keep myself motivated somehow.

Paul Bellow and Tom Gallier like this.
  13. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Amazing word counts, Alara. You're putting me to shame. LOL

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  14. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well you're the one who got me into this and were one of the two who inspired me to write in this genre, so you only have yourself to blame XP.

8/2 Words: 5,341
    Total Words: 33358

Hitting plot points now. Guess I had my plot points set up later into the novel than I thought. I'm on track for a pretty good length.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  15. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    8/3 Words: 5,217
    Total Words: 38,575

Paul Bellow likes this.
  16. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Great job. Keep it up.

Have some gold! ;)

Alara Branwen likes this.
  17. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you, Paul, and thank you for the encouragement. It can be hard to stay the course sometimes, but my love of what I do keeps me going.

That being said, I took today off. I figure one day off occasionally would help ease the burden of the daily grind. Will do at least a half-day tomorrow.

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  18. Alara Branwen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I lied. I was going to take the whole day off but drama broke up my D&D group and I couldn't think of anything else to do so I wrote. I didn't get as many becuase I got a late start. I could have hit 5k and more but today was an easy day so I cut myself some slack.

8/4 Words: 3,575
    Total Words: 41,250

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  19. DJ Schinhofen

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Drama at a tabletop game, all the damn time

Paul Bellow likes this.
  20. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes, you can have a Mountain Dew! lol