WIP Roguelike: A Tower of Gates Story Collection

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Paul Bellow, Jul 2, 2018.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Instead of full novels on the side, I'm going to put out collections of short stories on side characters. Thanks for the idea @CheshirePhoenix

The first one will include

Bernard/Benji
    The Brownies
    Axelrod

I've got all three mapped out. (Think origin stories or how they got into the Tower of Gates...)

I'm shooting for around 20k each, but we'll see what happens.

If you've read the books, any other side characters you want to read more about?

TIA.

Yuli Ban and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  2. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The bad guys would be interesting, and it’d give you a chance to humanize them and open up the option for later heel/face turns if that works.

Also Gord-En, the Four Wizards, and what’s-his-name the prince.

Yuli Ban and Paul Bellow like this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, the line-up for Gateways 2 would be...

Alex (Roguelike)
    Monky
    Magi Inyontoo

Gord-En is a good idea...I could easily fit 4 @ 25k into a single book...

Currently inside Bernard's head and laying out exactly how he came to be in the Tower of Gates...

4. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Drekmao = prince?

5. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, that dude. I’d go for him, Gord-En, and the wizards in their own collection, Because Raisins(tm).

So collection one would be Benji, the brownies, and Axelrod, collection two would be Alex, Monky, and someone else (I’d save Inyontoo for the main story books), and collection three would be the wizards, Gord-En, and Drekmao.

Maybe you could even fit Eric’s dad in the second collection in lieu of Inyontoo. Keep telling Inyontoo’s story in mid-act intermissions and epilogues, with prologues dedicated to the developers.

And dammit man, how do you keep getting me to work for you for free?

Yuli Ban and Paul Bellow like this.
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You want a GrislyGrizzly website? ;)

7. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Only if my technoilliterate Luddite ass doesn’t have to do anything to it. That’s why I don’t have an editing website - I’m clueless when it comes to site development and webmastering and such.

Yuli Ban likes this.
  8. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And it’d have to be oggo.com

9. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well, maybe I could do you up an editing one where you could also pimp the book? I've already got the server. Domain and privacy is something like $20/year or so. Hit me up with a conversation if you're interested.

10. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    oggoediting.com lol

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  11. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love Bernard! Wanted to kick Eric several times in Book 1 for being mean to him.

12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Renaming this to be titled with the first, longest piece of the collection.

Might end up being thick, but that's okay.

Trying to decide if I should put the brownies on the cover...

13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is up next. I'm thinking again of the first supplement being just Roguelike to get something else out and also attract just the roguelike market. (Which doesn't exist yet?)

The second supplement will be Battles (I think) and be three or four short stories, including one that involves the end of book 5 in the main series.

I want to get through at least the first 12 by the end of the year, so I need to really get moving this month.

I'm going to make changes to the roguelike novel then send to second editors for final go-through.

Then on to writing book 6 of the main series - Sarah's solo book...

Yuli Ban likes this.
  14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Roguelike: A LitRPG Novel

Where “Yet Another Stupid Death” lurks…

Player Alex Fort enters a roguelike embedded in the Tower of Gates VRMMORPG. If he defeats the minigame, he’ll get an epic magic item. The problem? Nobody’s ever beaten the game. Roguelikes are notoriously difficult, and this one is no different. Killed Choking on a Fortune Cookie? Really? Alex will need to use all his wits to survive this solo adventure.

<i>If you loved Rogue, Nethack, ADOM, DCSS or any other procedurally generated RPGs, you want to check out this epic LitRPG book set in the Tower of Gates universe. </i>