RPG Legends: Fallout

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Paul Bellow, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Some of the greatest CRPGs were built from the bones of table top games. One series, though, managed to blaze its own trail. Sure, Fallout has its roots on the table and borrows liberally from earlier games, but it’s become something of its own. This game series is nothing short of a phenomenon, a series that has managed to entrance players over the course of over twenty years.

A History of Fallout
    [​IMG]Fallout is a game that is directly inspired by two sources. The first is Steve Jackson’s GURPS system, a roleplaying system that Interplay had licensed in 1994. The other is Wasteland, a 1988 post-apocalyptic game that had a strong following but that had a proper sequel.

While there were definite problems with the GURPS license, the post-apocalyptic setting remained. The developers at Black Isle would develop their own stat system and marry it with a combat style that was reminiscent of the then-popular X-Com series.

The game took three years to develop, was nearly cancelled several times, and came incredibly close to being revamped. The vision of the game’s creators managed to win through in the end, though, and the game that players came to love first shipped in 1997 to an enormous amount of critical and commercial success.

https://litrpgreads.com/blog/rpg-legends-fallout

2. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Love me some Fallout.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. James T. Witherspoon

James T. Witherspoon Level 8 (Thug) LitRPG Author Citizen

76%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Interesting stuff about the Fallout series that I never knew. I played the original Fallout a long time ago, skipped Fallout 2, and then have devoured the more recent FPS Fallout games. I might have spent more time in Fallout 3/4 than any other game I've ever played. Love the setting so much.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I got Tale of Two Wastelands up and running, Fallout 3 running in the Fallout New Vegas engine. Haven't had a chance to get past the birthday party yet, in the Vault, but it does seem to be running ok. Also, for the mod community, Just got wind of another Fallout Mega-Mod that might be coming out soon. It's for Fallout NV and it's called New California.

Paul Bellow likes this.