Rune of Chuthriom

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Mar 21, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What is the name of that City in Kailand?

2. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So Kailand's capital is "Hallies' Rest". I think it is safe to assume that this place is a PoP and it's name is also "The Valley of Forgotten Apostates". This is also where one of Beyan's sisters lives. I believe this will be the second location where Richtær will travel via the portal... Well the settlement.

Is there some greater connection between names Valley of Forgotten Apostates and Hallies Rest? Could Hallie have been a God or the resting place of someone who betrayed the gods. Any good ideas?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  3. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The valley is a different place in kailand i believe. Of course there is no proof either way

4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So why are we assuming the valley is in Kailand?

5. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1. The guy with that rune is a noble from Kailand
    2. I was thinking there might be a connection between the name "hallie's rest" and "valley of forgotten Apostates".

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  6. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    "[Richtær] pulled out the Rune of Chuthriom. He had found this disc attached to the armor of a long dead adventurer in a dungeon. ... Now he tried to phonetically break it down, though. ...The words ‘chutit’, ‘hern’ and ‘iobm’ could be translated as Valley of the Forgotten Apostates." Book 5

From Late Latin apostata, from Ancient Greek ἀποστασία (apostasía, “defection, revolt”), from ἀφίστημι (aphístēmi, “I withdraw, revolt”), from ἀπό (apó, “from”) + ἵστημι (hístēmi, “I stand”).

Pronunciation
    IPA (key): /ə.ˈpɒs.teɪt/, /ə.ˈpɒs.tət/

Adjective
    apostate (not comparable)

Noun
    apostate (plural apostates)
    A person who has renounced a religion or faith.

Synonyms
    deconvert
    recreant
    withersake
    murtad

See also
    heresy

So I was thinking that Hallie (be it person or group or action) is an Apostate.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Might be. Apostates would be a clue. Its usually used within religions, so could it be connected to the banishing? All Richter has is a tiny clue and an idea that somewhere in the depths of the trial grounds there is a portal leading to the place.

If the valley was in Kailand, why would he have travelled all the way to the mist kingdom in search of a portal leading to the valley? Lots of unanswered questions.

Richter really needs to return to the trial grounds. Once the invasion has been beaten back, that would be my next stop. Gotta look for clues about the apostate valley, awakening the next tier of powers, search for more cores and other treasures. Exploring the second level should be done as quickly as possible.

Johan likes this.
  8. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Apostates means something like against god. So i figure they had some role in the banishment.

ShoughtLoud and Johan like this.
  9. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was thinking that the rune would be where and how he would return home. It could also be how he got where he was, where he was going next, or not related at all.

10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was thinking that too.

It is a bit odd, because the Rune should be something like the true name of an area. But then again maybe the creator of the portal has a choice in what the place will be called on the network.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    ShoughtLoud likes this.
  11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Another option is that there lies the valley of those who betrayed the Great Builders, the Tefonim.
    "The language of her song had not been heard since before the world’s oldest kingdoms were born. Ancient, sleeping creatures of unimaginable power stirred at the resonance of the primordial words being spoken in The Land once again, before resuming their eternal slumber. She sang of a kingdom dedicated to strength and of a people dedicated to honor. Of betrayal leading to its destruction."

That is also a long shot.

12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I figured the rune was the key to where he was going. Time to dig for that original quote.

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The book turned out to be a play-by-play of the man’s life. It mostly confirmed what Richter had already suspected. The man was a noble. More than that, he was part of the ruling family of Kailand. If Richter remembered correctly, that was a country on the western side of the River Peninsula.

There was frustratingly no mention of the adventurer’s name, but that wasn’t too surprising. How often would someone write their own name in a diary? Someone named ‘Kerita’ was mentioned prominently, though. Richter skipped to the end, having no real desire to delve into the man’s personal life. Only the last few pages were about the dungeon. He had been searching for some artifact that mattered to his family. It didn’t say what it was, he only referred to it as “The Link.” Richter put the diary away. He was sure that Randy would make better sense of it than he could. He decided to do something he had been putting off recently. He pulled out the book of magic history that Leandra had sold him and started to read. He had left off when the book was talking about ‘The Basic Elements.’ The same topic Zarr had touched on before.

Kong, Aleron. The Land: Forging: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 2) (pp. 340-341). Kindle Edition.

Interesting. We are not really told whether the artifact is in the dungeon. Later speculation by Richter

He continued scanning through the information when something clicked. All gates required two types of keys: activation and destination. The activation key was unique to each portal, and looked like a jewel. It was set into the archway of a portal and without it neither incoming nor outgoing gateways were possible. The destination key, though, looked remarkably like the rune that was attached to the armor he had found. He pulled the leather chest plate out of his Bag of Holding. With his new knowledge, it was clear that the rune was a destination key. So wherever this Chuthriom Gate was, the rune would grant him access. Provided the activation key was present in the receiving portal, that is. It was a good bet that it would be somewhere near. The adventurer’s gear had seemed custom tailored for this dungeon. He would have to keep an eye out.

Kong, Aleron. The Land: Forging: A LitRPG Saga (Chaos Seeds Book 2) (pp. 418-419). Kindle Edition.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  14. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm wondering if there wasn't a Second entrance other then then one Richter used to gain access to the cave with the Lightning Crystals and the Hidden Waterfall room treasure (where the Nobles dead body was found) that the dead Noble used to get access to that area, one that Richter didn't find for some reason? Maybe it was underwater, or a Hidden Door or the like?

15. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The noble had the fish ring so no he likely came in the same way.

i have said before that i believe it is possible that the noble was looking for an artifact associated with the banishment of the gods that was stolen by one of the previous mist lords. The presence of the dwarven weapon in my opinion supports the idea that at least one of the previous mist lords was a thief.

16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think its unlikely he came in that way, how would he have entered the trial grounds without the mark of a master? Someone (edit: Back on the old forum, may have been me) mentioned the waterfall could have served as his entrance and possibly his exit as well, considering the cavern isn't underwater.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  17. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not actually disputing you, but you are assuming that the master mark was actually required to get in the dungeon. I would think that the master mark was just an easier method of opening the door. The guy was very prepared materially for the dungeon after all.

18. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Who goes into a Dungeon without a rope and an water breathing ring? Not someone repaired. I don't think having the ring makes him specifically prepared for this Dungeon, but I suppose I am supposed to believe he is. There is also no reason not to believe he wasn't one of those past masters of the Mist Village. Richtær just read the beginning and end of the journal. That being said, I don't think he was. A water entrance could have been his way in, lol but he died in the first room after coming over the waterfall :D I wish we had an idea of how long the body was in there.

19. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He had a portal rune on him, my bet is there's another portal in there. It seems to have been a tefonim rune, and they clearly had both wealth and knowledge of how to build portals(thats where Richter got it from). They also had a magic core in there. I bet there is at least one more core in the lower levels of that place, along with a portal somewhere.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  20. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You think he came from another floor or that Richtær just didn't find the portal? I think it is more likely he came from the novice Dark Lay Line portal, than from another floor.