WIP Sailor's Song (WIP)

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Nurian, May 19, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Nurian

Nurian Level 8 (Thug) Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is an idea that Julian Khance started in my head. It's here in GamerLit as the game system is more free form, almost arbitrary, than LitRPG requires. This is my first story in this genre and I could certainly use some feedback.

This is just the first part. There are two more after this that I need to write. Enjoy!

Sailor's Song

By Nurian

The proud ship, Maiden's Laugh, sat in dock of Saint Sarah as her crew ran back and forth, readying her for sea. Ropes creaked and feet thumped, giving the feeling that the ship was just as excited for the coming voyage as her crew. She caught the morning light, her reefed sails seemingly glowing against the dark wood of her frame and rigging. The figurehead, a laughing young woman holding a kerchief out as if to give it to a suitor, shone like a beacon as the light caught its golden paint.

The men scrambled on the deck, carrying supplies, cleaning the guns, and climbing the rigging. All had an extra spring in their step or a smile on their face. They were eager for the sea, the thrill of a satisfied trade deal, and money in their pockets. They worked hard, feeling a pride in their captain and ship, despite the fact that most had never even known her before their commission the day before. The bosun and first mate directed the throng, letting no detail go unscrutinized. Rope that seemed slack was tightened. Spots on the deck were pointed out and cleaned. Not one nail or splinter was to be sticking out, not on their watch.

Away from this din, in the captain's quarters, Thomas Lacheur sat at his desk, his quill scratching. He was a tall man, with a head of straw colored hair that always seemed windblown. His face was narrow and angular, his cheek bones prominent and a patrician's nose. His eyes were a blue that matched the sea and at present, were following his quill as he wrote. His practiced hand kept the quill from sending ink on his long blue coat or linen shirt.

with a final flourish, his set his quill in the ink bottle and read his letter.

To My Loving Mother and Honest Father,

I write this letter on the day of my voyage to Port Nayem. My heart is bursting with pride and a desire to show you that the trust you have placed in me is not unwarranted.

I have twenty-six able sailors on board. My First Mate is Dillan Girard, as I'm sure you suspected all along. On your guidance, I did offer Uncle Buford the boatswain position, which he heartily agreed. It may amuse you to know that he accepted because "Someone needed to stiffen my backbone." I'm now less sure, myself, but I do not question the skill of this man as not one sailor has stepped out of line under his gaze.

The trader you sent me to, Mr. Ricci, gave me a tip off of a need of indigo in Port Nayem. Apparently, a blight had wiped out most their crop this past year and it just so happens that blue is popular among the nobles. On his advice, I added two tons of dried indigo in addition to the standard trading list.

I hope that you will never read this letter. I write it in case I will not be coming home, due to misadventure or otherwise. We all know the sea can be a cruel hag as well as a loving mistress and many that know her can fall to a bad end. So, I write this so that there will never be any doubt about how my life has been under your care.

I was fortunate to be taken in by a caring family. I thank what ever gods remain that it was the Lacheur fleet that found me adrift and had the presence of mind to take me to the head family. Not only have I known love and guidance, my talents are developing well and are not being squandered. I fully intend, even after I've repaid the loan you gave me for the Maiden's Laugh, to deal always accept Lacheur's contracts first and foremost and protect our interests not just as the heir to the house, but as a loyal friend and business partner.

The time of my departure looms. As I said, I hope you never read this, but if my destiny remains in the sea, then I go to it standing tall and proud.

Your loving son,

Thomas Lacheur, Heir of House Lacheur and Captain of the Maiden's Laugh

As he finished, a knock on his door sounded. "Come in," he called, setting the letter in a drawer. The door opened and his first mate stepped in. He was dressed similar to Thomas, a choice they had agreed upon. His long black hair was pulled away from his plump face, showing his eyes, so brown, they were almost black.

"The ship is ready, Captain," he stated in a quiet voice. Thomas doubted he would have missed it had not been for the quiet of the room. "Dillan," he began smiling. "close the door." He indicated the other chair in the room. "Please have a seat."

Dillan did just that. As soon as he was seated across from his friend, a broad grin lit his face. "So," his voice, still quiet but tinged with excitement. "it begins."

"Yes, it does!" Never one to join in his friend's reservation, Thomas slapped the desk. "You and me, my friend!" He gestured to the map of the world behind him. It was a relic, having not been updated in about fifty years, but it was a work of art. "We go today to make our fortune! Girard & Lacheur Shipping begins!"

"I still say your name should go first." Thomas waived the statement away. "You fronted the money for our goods. I brought the ship. Besides," a shrewd look crossed his face. "you have a lower Trade skill than I do, but people expect the one with higher Trade to be first. Some of the weaker traders may come looking for me thinking I'm a softer target. It's a trick my father used."

"I know," his friend replied, smoothing his hair as he looked away. "It just feels...odd," he finished, flatly.

"You'll see," Thomas said. "Alright, you said we're ready?"

"We just finished. We cast off when you say."

The captain's eyes unfocused as he called up the ship's page. A window filled his vision, a black rectangle with silver lettering:

-----------------------------------

Name: The Maiden's Laugh

Level: 5

Class: Brigantine

Health: 300

Speed: 17(base 20)

Attack: 22(base 20)

Defense: 17(base 20)

Tonnage: 142/150

Status: Lay Low (-5 speed, -5 Defense); High Morale(+2 to all base stats)

The figurehead was displayed by the name of the ship, her golden face turned to him. He smiled at her and dismissed it. "That morale bonus is nice," he commented, nodding happily.

"Thank your uncle," Dillan replied, nodding back. "He knows how to fire up a crew." He stood. "We're making no money just sitting here. So..." he trailed off gesturing to the door. Thomas laughed, standing as well. "Okay, okay. I get it." His friend held the door as they walked on deck.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  2. Nurian

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thomas took the stairs up to the quarter deck to get a better view while Dillan remained on deck. A breeze tugged as his coat as a smile tugged at his mouth. The men under his command were at their stations. He could hear laughter amidst the shouting as he climbed.

At the top, he saw his uncle at the ship's wheel, inspecting it for the smallest defect. He was dressed in common clothes, a blue patch on his shirt denoting his rank. His beady eyes were set in pudgy, almost boyish face. His hair was tin grey and came down to mutton chops that stopped at his strong jaw. His body was built like a man used to drinking beer then burning almost every calorie off. Thomas had watched him catch a rig line that broke in the middle of a storm and pull it down so another sailor could secure it again. He might not be a captain, but his bosun was no one to cross.

"Bosun," he greeted. Bull looked up.

"Aye, sir!" Thomas wasn't sure where Bull had picked up his patois. Saint Sarah was far from a lowly backwater but he couldn't be sure he had ever heard the like in or around the city. "We be ready to go anytime now." He straightened as his captain approached him.

"So Dillan tells me." He clasped hands with his uncle and withdrew. "Anything else to report? I saw the morale bonus." The burly man grinned.

"Aye. Some of the lads asked what kind of man you were. I told them this were your first voyage as captain but you been out on the briny many a time. And," he drew the word out and dipped down as if letting Thomas in on a secret. "I also be telling them that you ain't being no ordinary captain. I know I might have overstepped," he added, shrugging. "but I think the lads was going to hear soon, anyway." He dusted his hands as though he were done with the topic.

"You're right." Thomas raised his voice, "Let's get underway!"

"You be hearing the captain!" his bosun yelled, getting the attention of everyone nearby. Sailors scattered, grabbing on planks and cutting mooring lines. A heavy clunking noise was heard and felt as the anchor was being pulled up. Thomas watched, knowing each part of this dance but taking in the whole picture. As the ship was pushed off and the sails were unfurled, he took the wheel, letting the wondrous feeling of freedom run through him. When the bow had past the docks and the Maiden's Laugh headed to the mouth of the harbor, he knew it was time.

We may as well start this right, he thought. Taking a deep breath, he raised his chin and sang.

Thomas:

What will we do with a drunken sailor,

what will we do with a drunken sailor,

what will we do with a drunken sailor,

ear-li in the morning?

As soon as he ended the first part, he heard the sailors give the call back as the words went to their view. Even those who had never heard the song suddenly found themselves joining it.

Crew:

Weigh-hey and up she rises!

Weigh-hey and up she rises,

ear-li in the morning!

Dillan:

Shave his belly with a rusty razor!

Shave his belly with a rusty razor!

Shave his belly with a rusty razor,

ear-li in the morning!

The crew gave the call back again. As they sang the call the second time, motes of yellow energy collected around the ship and started toward the captain. Joy rose like tide inside of him as the spell gathered:

Name: Song of Endurance

Type: Shanty

Effect: Provides a sense of well-being and fellowship with crew of the same ship or fleet. Provides a morale bonus of +4 to speed. Stacks with morale or other bonuses. Can be improved with higher captain or chanter ranks.

Duration: Variable. Duration increases based on call backs from crew to singer, max 8 hours (1 call back: 2 hours, 2 call backs: 4 hours, 3+ call backs: 8 hours)

Cooldown: 24 hours

He dismissed his view as Bull gave his part:

Bull:

Put him in the bed with the captain's daughter!

Put him in the bed with the captain's daughter!

Put him in the bed with the captain's daughter,

ear-li in the morning!

Thomas almost laughed and ruined the spell. Of course Bull chose that one! He kept his concentration.

Thomas:

That's what we do with a drunken sailor!

That's what we do with a drunken sailor!

That's what we do with a drunken sailor,

ear-li in the morning!

Crew:

Weigh-hey and up she rises,

ear-li in the morning!

As the song ended, he released the spell and felt the deck lurch slightly as the ship's speed increased. He checked her page:

Name: The Maiden's Laugh

Level: 5

Class: Brigantine

Health: 300

Speed: 21(base 20)

Attack: 22(base 20)

Defense: 17(base 20)

Tonnage: 142/150

Status: Lay Low (-5 speed, -5 Defense); High Morale(+2 to all base stats); Song of Endurance (+4 morale bonus to speed)

The figurehead by the name had changed. It was still a golden young woman holding a kerchief, but now she was holding her dress up as though she were dancing. Her head was cocked back as if she were having the time of her life. He let out a laugh as the crew cheered. They were on their way!

Alexis Keane likes this.
  3. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oooo, this awesome, thanks for posting. I was just thinking about seafaring gamelit, and I must say that this great! :D

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. Nurian

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thank you!
    If I can stay awake (I stayed up until 3am for this), I'll write the next part :)

Paul Bellow likes this.