Settlement points

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by PokemonThug, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We know what they were doing, they were post battle partying. At least it would be consistent with past actions.

How do we know Richtær hasn't finished reading his prompts? I don't recall him mention or infer it, but I will check.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    ShoughtLoud likes this.
  2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think there was a throwaway comment at some point. Just a single line.

Cire122 likes this.
  3. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think there are any waiting for him. There are times where he pauses but then he goes back through them again.

After he got his feet under him (food, fresh water and sloth) there'd be no reason to save any notifications.

4. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So for the purposes of the Technocrat what additional building should be built?
    1. Nothing
      1. Nothing: use settlement points on settlement building upgrade, then House of Scholarship upgrade.
      2. Nothing: use token on settlement building and Settlement points on upgrading the House of Scholarship.
      3. Nothing: leave as is
    2. Library
      1. Build a Library level 1 building
      2. Build a Library with Settlement Points
      3. Build a Library with token, with an upgraded settlement building via settlement points.
    3. Core Library
      1. Build a library with the magic core
      2. Upgrade the library with core token
    4. MV unique building. Use current research or settlement points to find MV building. If Research related:
      1. Build level 1
      2. Upgrade using settlement points
      3. Upgrade using core token
    I am nearly as interested in what Aleron can come up for a MV unique building as a core library.

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  5. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Coming back to this.
    1. Not only master duels, I'm predicting he will be given the option to choose between sp's and ley line upgrades in the future, not every time but at least with another major quest completion, possibly also when he levels the village.
    -To answer the next heart crystal question though, it wont be a kobold, thats what the khan egg is for, and technically they're on the same POP. It could be an orc (while on his way back to MV, unlikely), a noble of yves, or a leader of the bugbear army.
    - back to saving sp's: My guess is that sp's earned by village quests, as opposed to those stolen from other POP's, can be saved. Firstly, because they were earned vs stolen. Secondly, because he could just save the heart crystal so itd be unfair if he cant save the hard earned points. Thirdly, because he wasnt given any kind of warning about using them in a certain amount of time in book 8. Fourthly, there were multiple options for spending sp's that were so expensive that they didn't make sense to even be there unless there was a way to save up points.

3. Good point, we don't know what the bonuses of building it will be, but it seems unlikely he will get any free-to-spend rp's for building it. I was thinking he would want to build it within the scope of the specialization in case anything happens that could help it level, like free research points or an epiphany. Also, if building a certain level research related building became a requirement (but this would have to be retroactively awarded) or something more vague, like "make a grand investment/gesture to show your settlements dedication to research." It could also just offer him a bonus right off the bat:
    "Congradulations! You have demonstrated an intense committment to your settlement's new specialization by building a core level library immediately after choosing it. Your investment will pay dividends in the future, but your actions have also earned you the following bonus immediately," something along those lines.

5. Under this strategy i would. If he was going to choose a specialization other than technocrat, then I might not. We don't know how much better a core building gets as it levels, but my bet is that it improves at least proportionally to the differences in regular buildings. That means all traits get better, plus at least one new bonus/ trait. In this strategy, it could be enough of a push to get technocrat one more level in the week. (Think of how close they were to the next level of adventurer at the end of the week)

The leveling of technocrat in and of itself will also contribute to village research and specialization leveling potential, especially once they get a couple bonus rewards. I'm thinking of how the dungeon gave 3 free rooms and later the number of rooms became a leveling requirement.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
  6. Joe Schmoe

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would dump all possible sp's into rp's during the first week only. After that they would be much better used on rare/unique buildings. Also boosting the second level of the mine top get the rest of those high mana metals that he couldnt get in book 7. Has to have enough mana now right? Soon at least, especially if he builds another core, levels adventurer one more time, and constructs a fae portal in the dungeon.

Hello elementum ore, mythril, vibranium, for the love of God ask krom to make a list of every metal he's ever heard of.. ideally some magically active gems as well.

Johan likes this.
  7. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That is what worries me about my grand Research plan.

8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    1) Are they on the same pop? :) Some of the kobold settlements are 40 - 50 miles away. I remain convinced the catacombs is a much larger area, likely corresponding to the region once covered by the mists, so hundreds of miles in all directions.

Sacrificing an yvesian crystal, or one from any other major power, is a tremendously bad idea. Killing the current holder in a duel is one thing, but destroying a major noble holding is definitely cause for war. Better to ransom it back to his or her heirs in return for valuables, knowledge and an oath to refrain from seeking vengeance in any way or form. Its probably worth more that way as well (2000 settlement points are worth 10000 research point, the average t1 tech is less than 100 points, but it increase really rapidly. A few dozen t4-t5 techmanuals would be worth way more to the village).

9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree there will be ways to store sp. But the village does not have those ways yet, they may not get them until they start generating on their own.

Aleron would probably throw limitations on free techs such as: choose any 3 known techs below t10 for which all prerequisites are fulfilled.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  10. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also depends on how permeative ley lines are. If we are to assume they are 3 dimensional lines and not planes, then surface POPs wouldn't extend straight down to the core of the Land forming cones with the base on the surface. They could very well act like a sphere of spaghetti getting hopplessly tangled and forming nexuses throughout the underground.

All depends on lore we don't know yet.

11. Commander Azure

Commander Azure Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wonder... If Richter found a PoP underground would he give it to someone as a vassal or use it for SPs?

12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    An unused PoP? Probably can't get SP from that.

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  13. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Definitely could give it to a vassal, assuming he can hold it.

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well it depends on the situation. Using it for sp seems really attractive because it gives an immediate onetime payoff but I think its probably the least profitable use in the mid to long term, at least in most scenarios. Selling the crystal or holding it for ransom could bring in a lot more, just imagine another power holding the pop at the heart of your capital, the heart of your kingdom. If someone is slow to pay up you threaten to downgrade one or more powers.

Creating a vassal pop will no doubt have major benefits as well.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  15. Joe Schmoe

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    IDK they seemed to play it pretty fast and loose with the adventurer requirements (magical blasts, "war", etc.)

I think stealing/trading for research is all fair game. After all, those are legitimate ways to advance the village's knowledge.

Johan likes this.
  16. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Could a core town hall made with the right material (say the crown of the last great emperor of wherever) generate settlement points.

17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't think so. A town hall is more of a local administrative center that might well exist in numerous locations throughout faction lands. A royal hall, noble keep or palace from which a realm or pop is governed seems more appropriate for something generating settlement point. Say the HT might generate some, thereas a lesser HT probably does not.

A building - core building I assume? - based on an emperors crown seems more likely to bring prestige and legitimacy to the reign of a ruler instead of an increase in settlement point generation. That might be better actually, as unless you are a despot ruling solely by force of arms against the will of the ruled, convincing the people of the legitimacy of your reign is the foundation of any solid realm. Its the reason gaining the fealty of the kindir was such a big deal for the villagers and Randy. Richter gained more legitimacy in their eyes and in the eyes of every other faction, even his enemies. That also means they will view him as a greater threat.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    2tymes likes this.
  18. Joe Schmoe

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Im still not 100% convinced that you could use a core to make any village building. It seems theu are usually geared towards strong magical uses and i dont feel like a town hall would be a good fit. Would it allow you to magically control your people like singh and his undead?

Smithy produces weapons, cauldron produces potions n stuff, bank allows control of money, mausoleum allows control of death energy and probably produces undead soldiers. I dont see how a town hall wpuld fit, other than as a cheat to allow higher level buildings in the settlement.

19. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    not seeing the genius here too with the townhall..
    Unless you have 20 mortal enemies and just want to hang more of their body parts as trophies..

20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The price for a Bank is four cores and certain war with every one of the six existing bank neighbor them (possibly the entire six-bank alliance) and whatever forces they can pay off to take them down. With four cores, a substantial payout, some leniency on existing debt and preferential treatment in the future to whoever brings down the new bank, I imagine that's basically every evil, neutral and grayish good faction in the peninsula along with huge numbers of adventurers from elsewhere. None of the other banks are going to give up part of their territory to make room, not willingly. Its basically a declaration of war.

production or research seem like the longterm options for a core building. Personally i think boosting research is the right decision, because it will boost the products of the existing core buildings. Researching the known tech and their higher tiers versions will raise the value of all products by a flat bonus regardless of their quality level.

Military won't do much, and with Richter's golems they have no need for a Core golem.

Trade is going to be enhanced by the better products, leading back to research.

Cire122 likes this.