Settlement points

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by PokemonThug, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Tropith

Tropith Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Honestly, the Banks are truly tyrannical.

Coining your own currency has historically been a core part of sovereignty. The Bank monopoly makes it hard to increase the money supply. Maybe with a high enough level of a town hall, you are allowed to transform gold lingots into Bank-approved gold coins?

2. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not comprehending what Drago is getting at?
    Battle vs the banks?

The only and main difference in the land is that Banks use real gold as a currency, so its limited. They can't print limitless amounts of $$$ and cause insane inflation like our banks can.

If I'd go to war with them I'd strike first trying to kill at least 2 of them, and make my own banks there, by first borrowing insane amounts of $$$ then selling them fake gold like gilded lie..

However there might be a third option, to somehow join, them take over the banking alliance.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    On the flipside, with bank approved money you have certainty of its validity, you KNOW without needing weights for the metal and so on, that every standard gold coin is worth as much as every other standard gold coin. You can also use the money in every city and kingdom. For adventurers and merchants its a godsend.

As for the supply, I imagine that with bank approval you can mint your own coin, might cost a bit per coin, but they have no interest in preventing the minting of sufficient money for the economy to function. As long as the total amount is at their predetermined level and they get their cut, I doubt they care too much where the money is minted.

What the banks live off is loans. They lend money out to kings, chiefs, presidents, princes, nobles, merchants, etc., basically if you need money the bank stands ready to lend you what you need. With appropriate interests, costs of making the loan, and security for the bank in case you fail to pay your debt. Some kind of debt-oath perhaps?

Given that we know about them having regions of influence where they set prices and so on, my guess is that each bank also lends money to the factions within their sphere. They likely guard that privilege with all they have, hence a new bank trying to take a chunk of the pie means war.

4. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, you do that. Attack a juggernaut with a million times your power.

I would love to see how many core golems and other stuff like that the banks got their hands on over the last twenty thousand years of unchallenged economic dominance, in order to buff up their security against attacks like yours. Richter and his army would be pulverized before he even got close to any of the banks. ;)

The large empire that once existed in the wildlands was crushed by the banks like an afterthought. They diden't even bother sending their own forces, they just paid others to do it. Might have been the single biggest writeoff for that year though, so in that they hurt the banks a little.

As for borrowing large amounts of money, the banks would take one look at the village and decide to lend you half a million to a million gold, with the cores as security. Not much at their level, if you consider each bank has on average control of a land area roughly 20 times that of the Earth's. Its actually a really good idea for financing Richter's future business ventures. Gotta have money to make money.

As for fake gold, thats a joke right? Right? XD

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
  5. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We had a chance to buy a Xaos spell that turns iron to gold for 4 days.
    Is Chaos magic, that no one has it and its also a higher lvl magic.
    So It a valid strategy, to trade with the banks 20 tons of fake gold for their core golum armies.. hohoho
    Or do the same thing with Yve kingdom.. or hire mercs.. its insane leverage, but their will be issues of trading that amount in bulk, very few distributors who would take it.. and they will only take it once.

It's super funny how you fear the banks but had no such reservations a bout the litch.. If we continue with the same insane luck of Richto.. banks have no chance whatsoever.
    Land is massive, armies need time to travel, food, resources.. An undead army need nothing, no food, no rest, they are free...

6. Tropith

Tropith Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Because the lich is just one mage as there are countless across the Land, while the Banks have power on a global scale?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  7. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it was just a potion that you pour over the iron

8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    20 tons of gold, so a billion dollars? They might consider that a fair price for one or two cores.

There are almost certainly mages around with the higher powers, just not in the river peninsula, the land-equivalent of Somalia, a wartorn backwater cursed with ancient evils and wild magic. The banks likely have a lot of hightier mages on the payroll.

9. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also conning people (and Banks) with Temporary Gold is a good way of making enemies of everyone and stopping people from trading with you or trusting you. Or just hiring assassins and armies to kill you.

Might be useful though if your going to Rob someone of a Lot of Gold Bars(ect) and don't want any body to realise for awhile and to cause confusion when it's discovered.

10. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It might not mean war if a new bank is created. If there is no bank within a specific range they migh grant construction of a new bank. I would expect it to be like hospitals here. You might need or want to submit a writ of need to the banking alliance first.

11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That could work. I imagine the price would be very high. I also believe there is in fact a bank on the other side of the ocean which means not that far away by land standards.

Maybe he could eventually take that one over?

12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You’re right but the banks more then likely have magic core powered metal constructs.

Dragon likes this.
  13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The only way Ricther should ever use the something like the gold spell is with subterfuge. Recall my enthusiasm in destroying the Count by use of his signet ring? After the full use of its credit and merchants demanding payment you could use that spell/potion for payment. With the complete expression that the gold came from the Count and his expressed gratitude for the terms of credit.

Johan likes this.
  14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's downright evil. I like it.

That would have to be done carefully, but imagine the "counts servants" showing up a major auction house or merchant to sell off some of his possessions to cover unforseen expenses. Without attracting undue attention of course.

That should allow them to get rid of some of the stuff they stole along with a big chunk of fake gold (count wants to exchange it for coin to pay his debts, its all hush hush. Can't have the count lose face). Just need to find the right target, someone who is an absolute scumbag. That shouldn't be very hard.

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    At that time Ricther was losing all hi settlement points all with other things because he didn’t have a town hall. He should be earning an extremely modest amount of SPs now.

16. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No. When he gets his powers to level two (4 more settlement quests to go) then he will be able to earn them very slowly. Town hall has nothing to do with it (at the moment, this may change but currently it's unrelated)

17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Your right, I was thinking of Settlement points and Diplomacy points.

My thoughts and questions still remain.

What’s the chances as the lord of a vassalage such as Ricther can place a form of levy on SP’s or DP’s on a vassalage?

As I stated earlier that could be huge for the lord of a vassalage to be capable of combining some of his SP’s from his 2nd level vassalages to build a barracks.

18. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True, but to start he'd have to vassal someone powerful enough to have unlocked all the second levels of their Place of Power. I doubt the settlement point tax is going to go over well with someone who has progressed that far, without something pretty significant in return.

19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Clowns to the left of me and Jokers to the right. Here I am stuck in the middle with you.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Just a thought about the settlement points Ricther gave to Roswan for the Dungeon.

If Ricther had saved those points what would the Hearth Mothers builder been capable of doing for the celestial pixies?

We know that the Sprites have an ability to manipulate living trees and plants. Due to the Pixies small size their living areas and working areas don’t need to be as big.

What could those few settlement points have created for the Pixies?

What special benefits could Ricthers village received from building special pixie structures with those points?

Should Alora have her on Royal Hall?
    Should they have their own townhall?

They should definitely have their own armory.

I think they should have created Alora a mana storage device.

If they knew how to make her a celestial casting chamber That could possibly help everyone.