Settlement points

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by PokemonThug, Mar 17, 2020.

1. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    only 7 settlement points ( equivalent to 35 building points) that were gonna disappear in short order because they only lasted 24 hours from when he received them, ~ a day before he handed the last bit to Roswell

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  2. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I understand that but what could those 7 points been able to do for pint size people?

I understand the Hearth Mothers builder wasn’t there at the time. I am also well aware of the time constraints placed on Ricther.

When Ricther starts to accumulate settlement points those few points might go farther for the Pixies. Settlement points have to be valued in relation to building size and building materials. In the case of Pixies and Sprites building materials are living trees. It seems they only manipulate their growth. Pixies being so small they don’t need the same size structures as humans. I would think the settlement point to growth manipulation would offer a better advantage then then needing to transform materials, create materials, or erect vastly larger structures.

Those seven points for pixies might be like 7,000 to humans.

Would it be worth it to max out some Pixie construction?

I think the settlement points might go farther for the Pixies

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Do pixies even have their own buildings? I mean wouldn't they just live with their meidons or in their bonded tree? Sharing sprite resources like casting chambers.

4. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also I would think only one townhall per settlement. They might have gone farther but with only 7 I don't really think it would have amounted to much.

5. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If they exist, Pixie buildings, while smaller, might also be much more intricate, due to their diminutive size. This might counter act a portion of the reduced settlement point cost from the reduction in gross materials needed.

6. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I could see intricacies being a issue in some cases but not with everything. No way would it make a difference with an armory. I don’t think that would make a difference with a Royal celestial hall.

I could see that being an issue for other rooms being created in tree. A smiths shop would have so many tiny tools that really could be an issue. Anything else requiring tools and shop items could be moderately higher in cost. I still think a few settlement points and the Hearth Mothers builder could manipulate the tree growth for some interesting rooms instantly.

Dragon likes this.
  7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sidenote, with some implications for whether pixie buildings are a thing.

Most pixies cannot learn skills, only queens can. Without those skills can normal pixies build recognized buildings? Craft Armor? Weapons? Potions? Anything?

They have some big natural gifts and their ability to rebound from disaster is unmatched. They also have a unique bond with nature and with sprites. They can even sustain themselves on the energies of a bonded tree, either their own or another pixies's, which means they have no need to gather supplies for winter or anything other than pure pleasure. I suppose being unable to build or gather things could be the price they pay for their other gifts.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  8. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Agree to disagree. I would think that it would add on another penalty cost for being used to manipulate any tree into rooms since it's a living thing and can't just be put together like a building can. Shock to the tree would be countered by magic, but that would take extra magic not used in the manipulation of matter/ actual construction.

9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Did I say buildings?

I don’t recall saying the had their own buildings.

I think someone complained a while back about not reading post.

Instead of making assumptions about my post it could be read.

I mentioned what rooms could possibly be built in a tree instantly. That is with the use of very few settlement points. An armory, a Royal Hall, a casters chamber and I did mention a mana storage device.

Shout made the comment that the size might add to difficulty And cost more then expected.

I replied that rooms that require minuscule tools and such might like a forge.

Don’t all pixies have some form of magic? To me it only makes sense they could use a mana storage device or a castors chamber. I don’t see why they couldn’t use a an armory either.

Who said pixies were going to build anything?

I said the Hearth Mothers builder could manipulate the tree growth instantly with Settlement points to make rooms inside a tree.

OF COURSE that is if Aleron wants to write something in along that line.

10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So when Ricther was prompted to move the tree you think if he would have it would have killed it from shock?

This is a world of magic.

Are you saying the Hearth Mothers builder can’t create rooms in a tree?

The Hearth tree is like A high rise building. The Hearth Tree is full of rooms.

11. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have said none of these things.
    No. The tree in its entirety being moved would be negligible since it would be instantly perfectly replanted in the new area. much like the forge was in the meadow (even though no manual foundational work was done). This is acceptable to the tree, since it has undergone essentially zero change in regards to its physical shape, footing or nutrient gain (assuming you moved it to an area that had similar access to ground water, sunlight etc.)
    You can not however bend a tree in half in under 10 seconds and have an ok tree. That's not how trees work. Creating a void (ie a room) in the tree could be okay if done over a long enough period, but instant change to the physical make up of plants isn't really what they're about. Like cube watermelons. very slowly they can grow to assume the shape of a box, but if you force the football shaped kind into an inappropriate sized box they just burst. This kind of damage is what I was referencing would be needed to be countered with extra cost in SPs.

I am well aware that they can make rooms in trees, but what I'm sure you remember is that this is not a quick process. It is a slower process where they grow the tree into the desired shape. Faster because their herblore skill allows for faster growing of plants and a master such as hisako who can provide everything a plant needs besides water with her magic likely speeds it up even more, but it is still a time consuming process because otherwise the plant would explode/ die from shock. The benefit though, is that there are minimal building materials needed, and repair can be done by transplanting/ transcuttings onto the structure and regrowing the new part into a fix for the broken parts

Last edited: Sep 2, 2020
  12. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    #Dragon, I'm pretty sure that Pixies can Learn Skills, what they can't Learn is Spells(magic), except for Royal Pixies.

13. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good catch

14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Did it not mention all Sprites and Pixies having the herb lore skill?

My understanding is that normally only Pixie Queens could use magic. Now enter the Celestial Pixies.

All of The Celestial Pixies were born infused with one of Ricthers place of powers Magic’s. That gave all of the pixie children a magic based attack based on their specific power. As they grow so will that magical ability. With their mother capable of using magic and them being born with a magical ability I wouldn’t doubt their ability to develop that potential.

Are magic users of other races born with a magical ability or do the develop it later in life?

Other races need to awaken magic before they are capable of using it. Where as The Celestial Pixies are born with a magical ability. The One major issue I see for any Pixie including all queens is their small capacity of mana. I don’t know how high they can grow their capacity either. Due to such a small mana capacity I don’t know if they can be practical magic users. One other thing I do expect is the awakening of Celestial magic in the Land. If the Pixies truly are Celestial beings and they can awaken celestial magic that could make a huge difference. Not really having Celestial magic introduced yet it may not only be more powerful but consume less mana.

Anyway if the Pixies had a room created in the tree to store mana that they could draw from they would all become more powerful.

The Hearth Mother was aware of settlement points and the things they can do. That’s not to say she has had any herself. Although I find it likely she has had some. If that is to be true wouldn’t they have used those SP’s on a tree.

Why are we to expect that the use of SP’s would rip a tree apart?

Why wouldn’t those SP’s used to make rooms force the tree to grow them immediately?

SP’s are known to give that instant construction of things. Really, they even transform wood to marbleized Quartz. The use of SP’s doesn’t even require you to have the raw materials. With the use of settlement points in the right hands it appears anything can be done.

With the Celestial trees ability to wind and unwind it’s trunk I don’t think it’s too stiff to get the job done anyhow.

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That’s right.

But

There had never been Celestial Pixies in the Land either. At that point I think Elora was speaking of what she knew from her knowledge of the past.

Pixie children had never had magical attacks either. Those attacks being based on the magical PoP magic that her children were born with.

We can only wait and see.

Drag, I’m not saying you and Shout are WRONG.

I’m just saying according to the story line this is all new territory. That allows Aleron to write in what he wants.

I have only proposed ideas that could be introduced and I ask what would be the results.

This is a literary work that can be woven any which way the author desires. Who would I be to say he couldn’t write something in or out of his series? I can only dream and speak of possibilities within the realm of his story.

16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I admit I was wrong about skills @Captain BlackJack. I was thinking of spells, though every pixie has a natural ability to throw powerful blasts with additional effects for mist village pixies due to their enhanced nature and life pixies have an additional ability to heal. So a race of natural casters. I agree their blast ability will grow as they level (in price and effect), it would be pretty unfair for them to be stuck with a useless ability as their only magical attack (its not a magikarp after all).

Rejoice blackjack :) Pixies have reduced endurance (may be due to them being children as of book five where I looked at their stats), strength and constitution, lowering their health and stamina pools accordingly. Their intelligence however isn't affected by their size, so it starts at 10 and their mana = intelligence * 10. Its the only pool that isn't reduced or harder to grow due to them being tiny beings. They grow their intelligence by 1 per level.

I think they have increased dexterity and agility because they are tiny.

17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    DRAGON!

You have been rewarded 100 points of respect.

Spend your respect points wisely. If you spend your respect points unwisely some may look shamefully upon you.

When you reach 1,000 respect points others will want to carry your ball bag.

PokemonThug likes this.
  18. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I image it is possible the settlement pointS accrued and gained through duels could be under different rules. Probably should be in my opinion. Say you accrue 1 settlement point/day and have nothing to spend it on. That would be a very serious waste of resources and the land itself doesn’t seem to have a truly wasteful mechanics. All waste Seems to come from either ignorance or poor choices. Points gain from a duel/boon are more likely a specific catagory With limitations built in.

19. Zinga

Zinga Level 4 (Warrior) Exiles Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    it would be dope to see Ricter go to Eve through the dungeon and challenge/assassinate the king and get the heart crystal of Eve

20. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Excellent point....when the MV gets to that point...and it could be a while. It would almost have to have a different use definition. DP's don't expire.