Show off your cooking skills

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Readsalot, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Readsalot

Readsalot Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The most basic and necessary skill any character must learn to survive - unless you plan to hunt Big Macs.

So, share your secrets and show off a bit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Alexis Keane and Felicity Weiss like this.
  2. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am by no means a foodie. My sister is a qualified chef but she works at a lodge on a game farm, so we only see her a few times a year. My brother and I are bachelors and spent years enriching the pockets of the local fast food delivery boys. Then, a few years ago we decided not only was it unhealthy, but way too expensive. So, gradually, we started teaching ourselves a few basic techniques.

My most recent quest is learning how to make bread. I've never really been into cakes and tarts, so baking was never high on my list of necessary skills. But I LOVE good bread, and especially after spending a year in Taiwan where the bread tastes more like cake, I have resolved to level up this skill as much as possible.

This was my first attempt: A flat bread.

[​IMG]

The recipe I followed (more or less) can be found here.

http://lekkerreseptevirdiejongergeslag.blogspot.com/2015/07/flat-bread.html

3. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is a pie recipe I came up with, made it for the holidays a few years back and it was a huge hit. We don't have canned pumpkin here in South Africa so when I tried to do a Thanksgiving I had to improvise. The texture is like a regular pumpkin pie, and it’s got an interesting taste - the squash gives it some depth and richness so it’s not just purely sweet. Haven’t had time to experiment with a vegan version yet, but from experience I’m guessing you could very likely get away with increasing the corn starch to replace the eggs and subbing cream of coconut for the evap. milk. Not sure about the crust, since I’ve failed at every crust I ever attempted, but google will surely have some suggestions.

Sorry I don't have a picture of it so have this instead:

[​IMG]

Anyways, this makes 2 regular sized pies.

BUTTERNUT BANANA CHOCOLATE PIE

2 pie crusts - I made it with the shortbread kind but you can use whichever you like best (I’ve never yet managed to make a decent homemade pie crust so I can’t help you here)

Butternut squash or if you want to be lazy, canned pumpkin. You’ll need enough for 2 cups, it depends on the size of the squash.

1 large or two small overripe bananas. Should be in the highly spotted stage of ripeness.

2 eggs

¾ cup evaporated milk

6 tbl. cocoa powder

5 tsp. corn starch

¾ cup light brown or white sugar

2 tsp allspice

2 tsp. vanilla essence

¼ tsp. salt or msg

To prepare the butternut: wash the squash, cut off the stem and bottom parts, cut it in half, scoop out the seeds and stringy goop, rub lightly with cooking oil, place face down on a baking sheet and cook for about 45 minutes at 190C. Let cool, then scoop the meat from the skin. You need about 2 cups’ worth.

Put everything in the blender EXCEPT the eggs. Puree until smooth.

Taste the mix for sweetness/spiciness. If you don’t like sweetish pies, start with a slightly lesser amount of sugar and add in until it reaches a level you like. If you prefer a spicier pie, experiment with adding ground ginger, cinnamon, coriander, nutmeg, cloves, espresso powder, etc. You can also leave out the cocoa powder if you want a regular pumpkin pie.

Tastes good? Add the eggs and finish the puree.

Pour the mix into the pie crusts and bake at 200C for 15 minutes, then remove the pies, let the oven cool to 165C and bake another 30 minutes (for 2 small pies) or 45-50 minutes (one giant pie). Let it cool completely or chill overnight before serving.

You can fancy it up with toppings like whipped cream, chocolate shavings, raspberries, sprinkles of nuts … go wild!

Alexis Keane, Jay and Paul Bellow like this.
  5. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I supplement my income as a personal chef for folks. Not really used to taking photos of my food, but I do have a few hanging around my photobucket. There’s more floating around and on my phone, but I think I put menu style descriptions in the photobucket album one day when I got a hair up my ass about trying to make a serious go of being a chef.

http://s162.photobucket.com/user/algolage/library/Food Portfolio

6. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  7. TWErvin2

TWErvin2 Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I actually created one of the meals a main character always orders at a rundown/dive tavern near the docks of the King's City, in my First Civilization's Legacy Series. The establishment is called the One-Eyed Pelican.

Here is a blog post with ingredients, instructions and results, including pics:

Link: One-Eyed Pelican's Fish Soup Recipe

8. DanyaWlasko

DanyaWlasko Level 9 (Burgler) Beta Reader Citizen

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What does it mean? A game farm?

Alexis Keane likes this.
  9. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    you know a place where they farm games most are just terrible shovelware because insecticide dosent work well on games but you do get a few indie gems in the dirt and perhaps some tripple A beef

Alexis Keane and DanyaWlasko like this.
  10. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In the South African context it means a very large farm where they stock wild game for hunting or tourism or both. Depending on the owner, the location and the size of the farm, the game can be quite varied, from small antelope and zebras, giraffes, blue wildebeest, etc. to the Big Five at the top-end game farms, where they have lions, leopards, rhinos...

Alexis Keane and DanyaWlasko like this.
  11. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Alexis Keane likes this.
  12. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The kids love this one. Chocolate chip cookies -made from scratch- with M&Ms. always a hit at parties.

For the adults Brown butter chocolate chip, nutella filling and sea salt on top. Hard to make but totally worth it!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I love autumn though so during the fall I like Spiced pumpkin cookies or cinnamon cracklings. Not that popular but you love what you love right?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Viergacht and Alexis Keane like this.
  13. DanyaWlasko

DanyaWlasko Level 9 (Burgler) Beta Reader Citizen

54%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    wow, it's very beautiful, but I'm not a fan of hunting.
    thanks.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2017
    Alexis Keane likes this.
  14. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am so hangry right now that I hate everyone here who’s posted food pics. Y’all have no idea. I need to eat but I’m currently trapped by a cuddling dog, please send help.

15. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    have a super burger cupcake (I forgot why I made this one lol!)

[​IMG]

and some turtle soup (this one was for a wonderland themed game forum game)

[​IMG]

16. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    grrr

17. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    careful, I have more. I'm just too lazy to take actual pictures :p

18. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    cheese and crackers?

[​IMG]

19. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    -_-

Hate. Haaaaaaaaaate.

Readsalot likes this.
  20. Readsalot

68%
    xp:
    Zone:
    South Africa
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Last year we got an airfryer and it's the best decision we ever made. Started out by making our own fries but you can do so much more with it.

Roast chicken is the easiest thing in the world and best of all, you don't need any oven bags and it takes less than 40 minutes.

One tip: When you get an airfryer, get the biggest one you can. As you start learning how to use it you will want to use it more and more. We got the Philips XL and it's just large enough to fit a medium-sized whole chicken.

Recipe:

Couldn't be easier.
    Rub chicken with lemon juice, then a little olive oil. Spice to taste. Pop in preheated airfryer at 180c for 20 minutes, flip and roast another 15 minutes.

Take the chicken out and make sure to let it rest before you carve it. The skin will be crispy but the inside will still be very tender and juicy and if you carve it too soon you will waste all those juices.

NB: My times are calculated on a small to medium chicken that has been completely defrosted and taken out of the fridge at least 30 minutes before roasting.

[​IMG]

Paul Bellow likes this.