Six Worst D&D Modules of All Time?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Paul Bellow, Jul 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Great points. Thanks for stopping by and sharing with us. Maybe I need to enlist you to write a follow-up for the blog. Only half-kidding! ;)

2. jcsamuelson

jcsamuelson Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm very, very late to this party but I just had to comment. First, I agree with most of your "worst" list here, and for the reasons you listed, but with one caveat. Of B2, you wrote:

"...it’s so old that you really can’t even play it any longer – it’s based on rules that are just over the line of being complex, residing somewhere comfortably in the world of the arcane."

This is funny to me because B2 was designed for the Basic ruleset. In fact, the Basic rules came bundled with it if you got the 1980 Moldvay edition (my first experience with the game), and they were so easy to parse a 10-year-old me (along with my cousin & best friend) started playing within 30 minutes of opening the box, including the time it took us to find a quiet spot to play in. IMHO they were at least as easy as 5e, and very, very far from being arcane.

Also, it was chuckle-worthy because the Moldvay rules were available at the DM's Guild site when you wrote the article. Yes, you could, in fact, play this module with the original ruleset in July 2017, and five years on you can also play it with OSE or even 5e now, thanks to Necrotic Gnome & Goodman Games respectively.

I think you might have actually been thinking of AD&D 1st Edition, which was indeed more complex and written in a, shall we say, less-than-user-friendly manner. They weren't quite so esoteric as to be incomprehensible - my friends & I were playing by the time we were 12 - but I'd agree they were needlessly complex.

As to the review itself, I mostly agree with you - as a new (and very young) DM, I could've used a little more help running it - but it was still a lot of fun for us back then, and it will always be one of my favorites for that reason alone.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks for the feedback.

Here's something new I'm working on... using AI...

https://randomencountersai.com

Welcome to the site, btw!