Skills you'd like to see,

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Andrew Lynas, Sep 12, 2020.

1. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is for any Skills and Sub-Skills you'd like to see appear in the Books, not just for Richter but also for other Characters, also Skills you'd like and think Jobs to have.

For instance Hunters (Forest Terrain) would most likely have the Archery, Tracking, Stealth Skill and most probably the Trap Setting Skill. Also probably some degree of Herb, Beast/Animal, Forest(or other terrian?) Lore, Skinning, Butchering, Wilderness Survival, Camouflage and quite likely Spear Skill. And preferably at least some basic Healing/First Aid, Cooking, Food Preservation, Weapon/Equipment Maintenance/Repair and Knot Tying Skill.
    If you have any other ideas please add them.

I'd like Richter to gain the Basic Navigation Skill, and preferably UnderDark, Forest (and Sailing Navigation later) Sub-Skills as well. I'd also like him to gain Basic Wilderness Survival like Skills (forest, underdark, ect), Butchering/Skinning Skills, Weapon&Armour&Item/Equipment Maintenance and Repair Skills, and Sewing Skill. Also more Chi Skills and some Resistance Skills (like Poison Resistance, Cold Resistance, Enchantment Resistance(the spell school), ect.
    Also some type of Skill that helps him to Activate his Mental Aegis Stat.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  2. Andrew Lynas

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd like to see something like a Parkour and Acrobatic Skills.
    Also a Shield Combat Sub-Skill that increases the Damage you can do with Shields, not just Shield Slam but a more general Weaker Sub-Skill. And maybe a Armour Sub-Skill that helps you add an Attack Stat to your Armour, so that you can cause more Damage when you punch, kick, should slam, knee, elbow, ect, somebody while wearing Armour.
    A Duel Shield Wielding Sub-Skill might be interesting as well, especially for Bucklers, but as the Rank increases you get to increase the size of the Shield on one hand (alternating) you can wield.

Maybe have Richter in time Learn at least the Basics of Whip, Rope and Chain fighting Skills? (If for no other reason then to see him hit himself when initially trying to use them ).

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  3. Andrew Lynas

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One Skill I'd like to see appear would be (Temporary) Infusing Mana I to a Weapon (or Shield/Armour) to give it a very slight (at beginner Ranks) Magic charge, a bit like a Very temporary weak Static Enchantment. Should be possible considering that High Elf trick of doing something similar when they Craft things (I'd also like to see Richter start doing this when he Crafts things).
    Also possibly see a Mana version of Chi Hardening. Something that combines both Mana Hardening and Mana Infusing might be useful in Unarmed Combat as well. Although they would have to be careful they didn't accidentally do Mana Imbuement by mistake and detonate themselves.

4. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

66%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Survival (terrain) is a skill i would like to see introduced. ritcher’s current situation would be a perfect time To introduce survival (subterranean).
    I would imagine the skill granting general bonuses across a lot of skill areas related to surviving in the specified environment, and/or a perception/knowledge about items and creatures. This meat is poisonous, that plant is edible, That is not a rock, etc.

Lore:monters, Lore: beasts, etc. subskills.

climbing should actually be a skill instead of just a magical bonus. You have to learn how to safely scale a mountain.

since aleron intruced the chi concept to the land there should be ‘cultivation’ skills that ‘increase’ stamina for chi related skills, adds a modifier to stamina calculation, or decrease to cost of those skills. The air step skill was described as Chi in the write up. At least i think it was. So chi=stamina in the land.

A perception/magic based skill allowing one the see the mana flows.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  5. Andrew Lynas

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yep, Chi is involved with Cloud Running, it is also used with the Stun Arrow Skill. Probably if he Weapon Skills as well, especially Unarmed Combat Sub-Skills.

I would think that a Climbing Skill would have to be more specific then just climbing, say a Skill in the use of Climbing Equipment and Climbing Techniques, after all Aleron has already said that there won't be any Running or Swimming Skill, but he might add Running, Swimming, Climbing, Jumping, ect, Techniques that Teach people to do it better?

There probably are Skills that allow you to manipulate or manifest Mana without the use of Spells, after all something similar might be how many Beasts use Magical effects without Spells, Also might be how Blue Mages do things?
    Psionics might work similarly, using a mixture of Mental/Thought Energy (Psi energy from MA Stat?) and maybe some Thought Mana without Spells, while Thought Magic is just Thought Mana that is shaped and used by Thought Magic Spells.
    Natural Psi abilities like the Telepathy of Telepathic Humans(T2) are probably inherent natural skills empowered by the MA (Mental Aegis) Stat.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    ShoughtLoud likes this.
  6. Zinga

Zinga Level 4 (Warrior) Exiles Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wanna see a "mage hand" or something similar. Like a better use of his magic aura that he can interact with stuff with.

7. Hastur

Hastur Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm drawing a blank did Richter even get another skill in book 8? Very usual if he didn't. He will get seagoing type skill once the ship is built...it's just how things go for him. I don't know why he doesn't already have skinning...he's certainly taken apart enough creatures like the rock giant. He has smithing, don't know why he did not get a sub skill of dagger smith....he made enough...then again AK has enough to think about. I think this is why the rate of books is slowing down. So much to keep track of.

8. Zinga

Zinga Level 4 (Warrior) Exiles Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    ya, he got cooking and meditation

9. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It was explained a bit in book 8. Zootomy is a skill for the dismantling of kills (skin, meat, magical parts etc.) but it involves using in depth knowledge of the anatomy of a kill to better take them apart/ not waste things. Now he gets to completely bypass all that with his blood line (though it seems to be a cheap imitation that ruins as much as it gives).

10. Hastur

Hastur Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah I see skinning as more obtaining the hide for leather work. You are right about the zootomy and he's done some pretty cool things with the bloodline. The memetic flesh, the maleable iron from the scorps.

11. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Magic secret rank bonuses. For the love of gods he hears these exist, trips over himself demanding Randy try and teach it to him, is an initiate in every magic that Hisako is a master and Master of, and doesn't even bother to bring it up to her. What's wrong with this child!?

12. darkenedstar

66%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Believes asking questions is shameful, and ignorance is embarrassing. “Thirst question bitch”

Ignorance isn’t What is embarrassing. Not correcting that ignorance and getting caught out because of it isn’t a continuation of ignorance. That is stupidity, and stupidity is embarrassing.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  13. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would like to see a weaver.

When Ricther obtained the web sac I got supper psyched. At first I thought yes a magic core loom!

Now that I have thought more about it. I would rather have a character like Arachne in the Alex Verus Series. Not only was she a weaver but she was a magical taylor as well.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  14. Andrew Lynas

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Weaving would be interesting, but Sawing Skill would be a good thing for him to Learn, a bit of a must in my opinion, it might be useful not just Crafting but also Repairing Cloths and possibly certain types of Armour?

I'd like for Richter to finally get the Mining Skill, there's probably several Sub-Skills and additional Lore/Information Prompts that would potentially be quite useful for surviving while he is in the Depths, as well as likely increasing his chance of noticing useful and valuable Minerals.
    For instance, things that would help him to know more about the Structural Stability & Strength of Cave and Tunnels Walls would be very useful. As would an improved sense of direction, the ability to sense cavities and other tunnels through walls, sense metals, faster digging and tunnelling, and be able to tell metal quality.

He knows Black Smithing but I'd also like to see him Learn the Crafting Metal Smithing Sub-Skills, White Smithing, Red Smithing, Gold&Silver Smithing, ect.

I'd also like to know more about the Bardic/Minstrel Skills Aleron might have planned for.

15. darkenedstar

66%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wasn’t there a skill/sub-skill that was mentioned about obtaining special items from bodies?

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  16. Andrew Lynas

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Zootomy I believe, I think that there are also other Skills that do similar, probably quite a few others.

17. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 10 (Filcher) Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A mining skill might very well have sub-skills or rank bonuses that would allow him to identify more info about metals, and potentially to sense the presence of ore veins and rare metals.

Also, I want to see him learn more weapon specific sub-skills. Early on we had Double Shot, Drill Shot, Focus, and Stun Shot, and we also have Imbued Arrow. Surely there are other archery sub-skills. If Richter has 5 archery sub skills, where are the small blade sub skills, and mace wielding sub skills? Come on Randy, I know you have more sub-skills than just blade throwing! Hook your boy up!

Also, how has Richter not made an effort to learn a skill for creating and disarming magical wards. It seams this is something Futon could teach him.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  18. Andrew Lynas

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, he definitely needs more Weapon (and Shield/Armour) Combat Sub-Skills, there was Caulders Shield Slam (lesser version of the Talent Shield Bash?) for instance. Maybe a Skills like Precision Thrust, or Quick Slash, or Joint Bash, or Rapid Stab, or Back Dtab, or Armoured Strike?

19. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 10 (Filcher) Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can see Richter randomly learning the Hamstring sub-skill for small blades after crippling some beasts in the forest, and then bringing it up with Randy, who is all like, "I didn't teach you that yet because you haven't mastered the basics yet". I would think small blades subskills would focus around precisely targeting certain body parts like hamstrings, kidneys, and major arteries, and would have additional effects that one would not see if they just attacked those areas without triggering the subskill.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  20. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He might learn a hamstring move from Yoshi. A longer weapon would make it much easier to cut from the heel up to the hamstring. Short swords really aren’t that much bigger then the average dagger.