So is the Bugbear fight happening in book 9?

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Hastur, Feb 26, 2020.

1. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    On top of that who will be on the side of the MV? Sprites and Kindir for sure. Will Dwarven mercenaries be hired? What about the Elves Hisako went and spoke with? Will a Kobold tribe help because of the egg? Orcs? Chaos Seeds
    ?

2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If you mean some MV or sprites getting wrecked by a few ranger, due to false sense of security? Yes most definitely.

If you mean the battle at MV, then I say No, book 10. Throw up a poll. If the book lasts a week, then there will not be enough time to get the pieces into place.

I expect the surrounding hidden villages (now of the mist) to come into play a bit. Though they might arrive at the end of the battle in book 10 to save the day.

3. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm think that the real conflict with the Bugbears won't happen till Bk10. But beginning Skirmishes might happen in Bk9.

Cire122 likes this.
  4. 2tymes

2tymes Level 11 (Thief) Exiles Citizen

8%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I imagine it’ll be in bk10 sort of like the ending of book 5 into 6. I do think the dwarven mercenaries will be apart of the war. Has it ever been said why the bug bears are there. The goblins were trying to get the chaos shard. Is the bugbears territory just close and they’re trying to expand.
    I remember hisako saying they’ve been at war. Is it a territory richter could potentially capture

Johan likes this.
  5. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Still an open quest. Might have something to do with the name The Basilisk Alliance. Basilisk is the mythical king of the serpents. I have a theory that the Harbinger of the Dungeon will be a Basilisk.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  6. SnackBarbarian

SnackBarbarian Level 8 (Thug) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Definitely won’t be until later. Richter’s underground stuff won’t be completed for at least a book the way things are going now. He’s gotta confront the orcs which can go several ways: the enemy of my enemy is my friend, oh look a Chaos seed orc I think I’ll keep it, oh look a Chaos seed orc I think I’ll get some Cps, oh look a Chaos seed is hiding looks like I should save these orcs now I’m their king etc

7. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Im betting the war gets started before richter gets there. Then he gets to immediately show off his new tier 2 power once he gets home.

Cire122 likes this.
  8. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah that idea has been floated before and is entirely possible. Now that Richter has met some Orcs and one seems to be a Chaos seed that I would think most of us expect to become a vassal now that Richter is a chaos lord. Remember when the area behind the waterfall was cleared? Dark aberration and that there was a pile of stuff where the hilt to black ice was found. There was also a flag that greatly effected I believe it was fighting spirit for Orcs. So maybe Richter arrives in time to save the day with a force of Orcs and uses the flag.

Cire122 likes this.
  9. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Your post sent me off on a tangent. Previously i was thinking it extremely unlikely that he is still considered to be in the catacombs, but that connection could indeicate that the portal of the great seal may be connected to the orc settlement. He may be at level 3 of the catacombs right now. A prior lord may have sacrificed some of his orcish vassals to the abberation.

Cire122 likes this.
  10. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Very likely. Also while recently re reading the books. In I think book 4 Richter discusses the portal in the MV with Futen, this is right after finding the one where he defeats the decamur knight. I mentions that a portal can have several destinations along a ley line. This is why as part of the village reaching level 2 is the 3 levels of the catacombs. He can access all three from the MV portal. He just didn't know it. It also has not been brought up since. I would have forgotten but just re read it about 2 days ago.

11. Commander Azure

Commander Azure Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Personally, I was kind of hoping that that flag is sacred or something to the orcs, so then when Richter claims to have it, he convinces them to go back to the ruined Mausoleum and now he can get his actually good bag of holding and Elementum sword and Black Ice.

12. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Doubt that it is Sacred, but it is probably an Important Item of their Past, varying to degree from Orc Group to Orc Group, not to mention the Effect it would have on them during Battles, which would give it considerable Bargaining Power.

13. Cire122

Cire122 Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter coming back with an Orc army to fight off the "evil" alliance would be a great twist. Almost every race on his side right now seems to be default "good" races. Orcs can kinda land in the middle or worse depending on the universe.

14. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sion has the bag of holding. I'm sure it is important to the Orcs...how much only time will tell. He definitely needs to go back and salvage things.

15. HamsterDesTodes

HamsterDesTodes Level 7 (Cutpurse) Exiles Citizen

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No, it won't.
    During the epilogue of book 8, we find out that the bugbear army gathers seeds to farm some plant to create a bunch of see-through-mist potions.
    The entirety of book 8 took place during 6(!) days. Unless we get a major time skip, the next book won't even be enough to raise these plants, and then the bugbears still need to produce potions for their entire army. Sooooo I expect book 9 to be the farming book (epilogue), book 10 to be the alchemist book and in book 11 we may see an actual invasion. Although I could be off by a couple of books or five for the plant production. Maybe we have seeding, watering, weeding and harvesting books in between!

Just a bit salty about the lack of content, don't mind me :[

Hastur and Cire122 like this.
  16. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm fairly sure its a dark lord/ warlord unifies the azergoth swamps along with evil tribes in nearby regions falling under his banner scenario (so multiple evil races, including goblins and bugbears). Expansion into the forest of Nadria could simply be because the dwarves in the serratted and firetip mountains are comparatively stronger as well as more unified, not because the forest of Nadria is special as anything other than the easiest to bully. So basically going for the low-hanging fruits first while also cutting off the firetip mountain dwarves from their western kin. Attacking Rione would be their other option, but I think Rione is stronger than any other neighbor the azergoth swamps has. Its also the only country that just might get supported by Yves, being primarily a human nation, though one with significant nonhuman elements.

Plus, there are sprites in the forests, and goblins see them as racial enemies. Could be a convenient tool to unify the goblin tribes.

Alternatively, they could be attacking the other regions as well and we simply haven't heard about it in the books. Seems like a stretch, but on the other hand there are both goblins and orcs in the firetip mountains, and I think we can assume Duergar are also around somewhere.

Cire122 likes this.
  17. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They are gathering the plants and the seeds.

18. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We are desperately in need of some time skipping. Similar to book 7. Things were getting done/built skaths growing...etc.

SnackBarbarian and ShoughtLoud like this.