Spacial Folding Theories?

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Waterhobit, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why no portable holes, pocket dimensions, or instant fortresses?

I have thought several times portable holes would be good. It’s really not that much different then a bag of holding.

2. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also, now Richter can attach known spells to traps. If he makes Spatial Hole Pit Trap then he could place it near an enemy base then come back days, weeks, or months later to empty and collect their gear since their wouldn't be any bodies left to give away it's location.

Ha, he should hide it in a goblin bathroom. "Hey, where did Wartnose go?" "He's been in the can for a week. "

3. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It is not that the land doesn’t have these things, its that we haven’t seen them yet.

portable holes are very different from bags of holding. They are closer in description to magical open pits than a magical container. You could in theory build an alchemy lab in a portable hole and climb in to use it.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Portable holes, bags of holding, and handy haversacks are all connected to another dimensional space. They all cause suffocation. I think ten minutes is about the limit for any air breathing creature. If any of these items are damaged the they can rupture and suck you through to the astral plane.

5. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One day, his ultimate bag of holding will allow him to carry his flying ship around.

6. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also, I would love to see him use the spatial folding talent on a lamp and carry Futen around in it.

7. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I hope for Ricther to have a nice enchanted ship with a hull of holding. Or maybe a nice enchanted ship with multiple portable holes. I just hope Aleron doesn’t gift him a flying ship for another 20 books.

8. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nah, that's how he blows the bugbears out of the mist. Maybe book 14 (I hope not but we'll see how fast he moves through the depths in book 9) Pays off debt before he gets back, another level or two, maybe enough to level his conversion talent again, then uses conversion again and blows it all on macro enchanting and throws the cloud giant soul into it. Flying warship out of bow range just blasting away indiscriminately. Maybe the Hearth Mother on it for added fire power.

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He might as well have four kids in the next four books as well.

Personally, I think they need some high seas action prior to getting the magic carpet ride. Of course Aleron is an author that loves to give, and give, and give, and keeps giving.

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  10. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So your saying he is like herpies?

Joe Schmoe and Captain BlackJack like this.
  11. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    portable hole
    This fine black cloth, soft as silk, is folded up to the dimensions of a handkerchief. It unfolds into a circular sheet 6 feet in diameter.

You can use an action to unfold a portable hole and place it on or against a solid surface, whereupon the portable hole creates an extradimensional hole 10 feet deep. The cylindrical space within the hole exists on a different plane, so it can't be used to create open passages. Any creature inside an open portable hole can exit the hole by climbing out of it.

You can use an action to close a portable hole by taking hold of the edges of the cloth and folding it up. Folding the cloth closes the hole, and any creatures or Objects within remain in the extradimensional space. No matter what's in it, the hole weighs next to nothing.

If the hole is folded up, a creature within the hole's extradimensional space can use an action to make a DC 10 Strength check. On a successful check, the creature forces its way out and appears within 5 feet of the portable hole or the creature carrying it. A breathing creature within a closed portable hole can survive for up to 10 minutes, after which time it begins to suffocate.

Placing a portable hole inside an extradimensional space created by a Bag of Holding, Handy Haversack, or similar item instantly destroys both items and opens a gate to the Astral Plane. The gate originates where the one item was placed inside the other. Any creature within 10 feet of the gate is sucked through it and deposited in a random location on the Astral Plane. The gate then closes. The gate is one-way only and can't be reopened.

suffocation happens only after hole is closed

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  12. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A Belt or Bandalier (or Cloak/Coat) of Many Pockets would be useful, it contains several Obvious Pockets and Many Concealed Pockets that are mini Space Folding Holding Pockets.
    Another possibly very useful Item would be a Portable Door, palm sized Door that can be used a few times a day to create a Door between it and it's counter part as a quick travel portal doorway.
    An Instant Doorway might also be very useful, it can create a Temporary Doorway through a Wall that you can walk through, how think the wall that it can be used on depends on the Items Rank and Quality.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  13. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The magnificent mansion

14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yes!

I have thought about it for some time. If Aleron continues granting Ricther ever possible high value item where will it get him? Will all his enemies have the equivalent or more to prevent Ricther from being to Over Powered? With the number of books he claims to have planned the Land will have cores and many other “rare” high value items as common place items.

It makes me think.

15. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's only in dnd. Most universes don't have that kind of rule, bags of holding are probably just destroyed in the Land and the items are no longer accessible. At least I don't remember the astral plane ever being mentioned as a thing.

16. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I read an alternative options once for the different things that could happen if a Bag of Holding is destroyed, they could either Randomly dump everything in the Bag into the Astral Realm, or into Random Realms, or implode destroying them all, simply drop the Items around the bag, explosively expel the Items in a fountain from the Bag, random materialise the Items in a wide area (kilimeters) around the Bag, or explode with varying degrees of force depending on what's in the Bag or suck every touching the Bag into the Ether Realm.

17. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Another possibility is that the contents are just spewed everywhere in the AO with or with out force.
    Yet another possibility is the the items are jettisoned to randomized locations (locally... or not)

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Have we seen a bag of holding damaged in the Land?

I don’t recall that being mentioned.

So you don’t remember the astral plane being mentioned in other books with bags of holding or the Land?

Other planes have been mentioned in the Land. I’m not sure why we should believe there is no astral plane in the Land series. Has something given you the reason to believe there is no astral plane? Or was that in another book?

19. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    that is reverse evidence burden bro. I don't have to prove there is no astral plane in the books, you have to prove there is. :)

More seriously, I don't think it makes sense for a bag of holding to open a portal into another plane. Just my two cents on the issue.

Also the only other plane mentioned is the shadow plane, which isn't really a different plane as far as I understand it, its more similar to the upside down from stranger things. Complete with freaky monsters that hate everything from the "real" world. Feel free to prove me wrong on this one though, as I haven't seen that many fantasy depictions of other planes.

Edit:
    Wrong I am. Plane is used several times and the shadow plane is actually called the Shadow Realm.

I stand by it being essentially the upside down from stranger things, except with magic and probably no worldcontrolling monstrosity.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  20. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yea I think the books tend to use plane and realm interchangeably. I wonder if other realms like the fey realm, or abyssal and celestial realms, are altered versions of the "normal" world as well? I always imagined other realms as existing in a physically remote area like another planet, or within large bubbles inside the planet of "the land". The shadow realm definitely is more like an alternate reality or a separate phase of existence though.