Spacial Folding Theories?

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Waterhobit, Jul 8, 2020.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Relatively speaking yes. Might be one between the village and the HT - 100 miles between those - with others similarly spread out. Two ley-lines crossing are likely the most common variation.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  2. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The master of a Pop would get a special ability from the ley lines, but everyone has access to them. that's what powers all of the basic magic spells. It seems to me that deeper magic is powered by the individual and that may have something to do with why they have such dangerous effects on the mind and body as well. If the power came from a ley line, then it would be just like all the basic magics, which just seems a little less exciting and mysterious...

AndyJ and Mister Bill like this.
  3. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not entirely true. While HM did imply there are ways to power spells from leylines, all forms of magic are present anywhere in the land. Its not mana deficient like earth once was.

Deeper magic is related to the trinity of body (blood), soul (spirit) and mind (thought).

Planar magics and higher magics haven't been explored much outside of chaos being potential for change.

Mister Bill likes this.
  4. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was going to put this in the Shadow Trench thread, but I'll type about it here.

Since you have cell dead of things you put in a bag of holding, then things already dead should be fine. Undead and living dead are both already dead so should be fine if a large enough bag is pulled over one.

So what Richter needs is a Saint Nikolas or Krampus or Santa Klaus sized bag. Preferably with an opening that can expand to the size of a door opening. I like the idea of running through a door and then covering the opening only to have what is chasing you run/fly into the bag of holding.

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I suppose that might work. Assuming the death spirit that is puppeteering the corpse can survive the bag of holding.

The best bag so far has reduced the weight to 10%.

A human skeleton is around 14% of a human's bodyweight according to google.

Suppose each skeleton weighs 15 kilo, with an additional 20 kilo for sword + shield+ armor. That would mean each undead weighs 3.5 kilo or seven pounds. Each point in strength increases carrying capacity by 10 pounds and Richter currently has 67 points in strength. That's roughly speaking 95 undead pouring out of the great bag of holding at an opportune moment.

If he carries nothing else, but we know that's not how it works. 50 undead is likely a better bet.

I honestly don't think the death spirits would survive/ be able to go into the bag. A construct such as the golem on the other hand is probably good to go, at least I can't see any reason it shouldn't work.

Mister Bill and AndyJ like this.
  6. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree
    For the undead, he's probably better off carrying the bones and then dumping out and summoning them behind enemy lines after he has stealthed his way somewhere secluded. He may get a Mass Raise Skeletons Spell later on to speed that up.

7. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Easy check for this, get a slim worm that died and raise it. Then put it in the new bag of holding. Take it back out and see if it's still undead. If it's dead and not undead, then it would be an easy way to kill them. It would be an excellent trap device. Put an open bag of holding on the floor, and make sure not to step in it.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Assuming you had someone capable of making a crampus sized bag of holding for this purpose.

I imagine such a bag could cost thousands in gold, so its a pretty expensive pitfall. Especially as an enemy who notices it could pick it up and destroy it. Or threathen to do so unless half the valuables inside are handed over.

That's one problem with a bag of holding. Its safe from a thief opening it on his own, but he can simply hold it for ransom even without knowing the contents. Richter's bag of holding cost him two big diamonds, the equivalent of his first car. Its also a fact of life that while a bag can only be transferred with an open heart, the owner can be forced to empty it out.

Mister Bill likes this.
  9. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ricther got ripped off! Anyone with any sense wouldn’t have gone in like he did. You never show someone how much money you have. You never let anyone see that you have no clue of valuations. He should have also known not to let anyone see how desperate he was to have any specific item.

Mister Bill likes this.
  10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter should be able to do it with a talent upgrade. But fine, keep it to cover a door opening. I was trying to find a GIF of a Looney tunes character falling through a black dot/but couldn't find anything on the built in gif search.

11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True, I was at a market yesterday and got one apple and a dollar. Expecting to get some change back or be offered the price so I would get a few more to be worth a dollar, he said the apple was one dollar...

Mister Bill likes this.
  12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Even if he did get ripped off, it was not to the point where Randolphus thought he had been outright swindled. A greedy merchant will clean you out and give you garbage. A smart merchant will take you for a ride but give you enough value in return that you'll still be willing to deal with them in the future. Hafiz was smart about it.

Richter was a bumpkin who came into a store throwing around money like it was going out of style. Hafiz gave him a range of offers, starting offers with enough give for negotiations. You never start with the price you actually want, you start well above so the customer can negotiate you down and feel like he won something. Richter paid well above full price, though i'm pretty sure Hafiz lowered his asking prize for the bag to two diamonds.

That said, there is no question a bag of holding would cost tens of golds. Richter's original bag is probably worth the better part of a hundred.

Edit:
    Apparently my estimates as to how much Richter's bag of holding is worth were too low. According to book 8 Richter paid several thousand gold for it. Even if he paid double the normal price, that still means its a couple thousand gold

Richter can cut costs by doing the enchanting himself and cutting out the middlemen, but he still needs
    1: A mallable material that can stand up to the power of the enchantments.
    2: Soul stones
    3: Crystal

Mister Bill likes this.
  13. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    hrrmm, the material. The skin of any high level monster/ beast should work. Maybe even the skin of a tier 2 worm that was ripped off by a golem after the the worm mostly sliced it off itself.

Mister Bill likes this.
  14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I believe when Randy was asked hejust coughed clearing his throat and walked away never answering. I believe his son was trying to take Ricther on his jewelry as well. Then he asked Randy for some help which he did. He first told Ricther what a plain piece had sold for. Then he spoke loudly telling Ricther he just didn’t think they could afford it. I think Aleron wrote in the traders like a Vietnamese family ran convenience store in a lower end neighborhood.

15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    lol, what?

Mister Bill likes this.
  16. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The fact that a country bumbkin who stuffed sacks off gold and jewelry up Hifaz nose while knowing nothing of the value of said valuables got taken for a ride isn't that surprising. What tells us something about Hafiz is the fact that

1) Richter got items of significant value, even if Randy thought he had made a pretty bad deal.
    2) Richter wasn't robbed on the way back, meaning Hafiz diden't send out the word on the rich fool. Many merchants would have for a cut of the wealth. Instead he warns Richter.
    Hifaz and his son are businessmen first and foremost. Cultivating loyal customers is more important than one-time earnings. They are also clearly men of honor.

Mister Bill likes this.
  17. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Many Asian Convenient store owners are considered ruthless money grabbers in many lower income neighborhoods in America. Unfortunately In lower income neighborhoods grocery stores just don’t hardly exist. Without grocery stores, corner stores are the only stores they have. That results in higher prices.

18. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's what happens when all the markets disappear. In my previous city they had 4 markets in downtown, they all fell to the grocery store .

But I never heard that for east asain shop owners. We mostly have Indian shop owners I suppose.

Mister Bill likes this.
  19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why not just go to the grocery store(s) instead of the corner store?

Guess I don't really understand what its like to live in the US.

Mister Bill likes this.
  20. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Urban Sprawl, so much urban sprawl. Super Markets cut down the number of grocery stores to serve a section of sprawl. Plus you don't need to go all the way to a grocery when a corner store is easy and close.

Mister Bill likes this.