Speculations

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by LazorGoop, Mar 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    * Caulder's soul was trapped within the Core Building because of the trap Singh set on his crypt. That trapped his soul in the Magic Core in the crypt. When Richter uses that Magic Core to make his Core Library Caulder will be the Core Librarian. He'll manifest as a semitransparent entity and hate being stuck in the library until he realizes that he can enter the books. Then he'll love it and beg Richter to get trashy romance novels to go into.

2. LazorGoop

LazorGoop Level 7 (Cutpurse) Exiles Citizen

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    >> Tell me more...

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  3. LazorGoop

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    106. Construction Research opens Buildings that align with his place of power and gain the "embodiment" bonus like the House of Healing did.
    a. House of Healthing (Life)
    b. Bat Roost (Dark)
    c. Bath House (Water)
    d. Open "Air" Market (Air)

:)

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  4. LazorGoop

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    >> Cool idea... possibly a novelette. I hope not though. That seems a bit cheap to bring back a character that wasn't that great.

5. LazorGoop

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    >> Time effects all. Perhaps a Time Room connected to the Portal Room will create a TARDIS.

6. LazorGoop

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Malleable Iron from Monsters doesn't inhibit magic. He just needs to harvest a lot in addition to feeding it to the Dungeon.

7. LazorGoop

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's a Light spell for sure. Hisako isn't a vassal... yet.

Mister Bill likes this.
  8. LazorGoop

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    >> That's fun. I like that. Another deal with a demon for Richter. Coming right up!

9. LazorGoop

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    >> It's fun to have this dialog. The answer to your "when" questions is "now". The refute to your "No" and "Nope" statements is "Why not?". The response to your "Yes", "Hopefully", and "Sure" replies is "Yeah... I'm gonna need those TPS reports."

10. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So to start, I think the problem he ran into is his familiar. Usually a master more slowly levels up and handles the problems of their lands, focusing on the basic elements. This likely should have flown way under the lich's radar until he bacame more standardly powerful. Probably some time after the lich had used most of the gifted power he was getting from the exile. He had pretty much forgotten about the world above, until Richter intruded. Even losing jorgen probably would have been a minor nuisance since the lich couldn't enter the portal from his side anyway. There was also something in the prompt I think about Richter normally not having to deal with this problem until much much later in his career.

All this to say, I think that while he ran into trouble almost immediately with the bonus for brain drain reaching level 7, I think it will be (or should be) a long time until someone else he makes an enemy of is able to counter his temporal spying with the memories. The normal 'Master of a PoP' problems shouldn't be able to detect it. So it should be more like his assault on the goblins in book 6.

I like the idea of the bath house, maybe by the waterfall. Cleanliness seems to be a good fit with water magic, and with enough steam generating it could also embody the illusory nature of water magic.

LazorGoop likes this.
  11. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A bath house seems like the wrong choice for a building that symbolizes water magic. It uses water, but so does a harbor, a dam, or a farm. It doesn't really symbolize the nature of Water in the land the way the house of healing is connected to the practitioners of Life magic and the primary use of Life magic in the land.

If I was Aleron I'd run with the connection between water magic and power flows aka the leylines being effectively rivers of magic below the ground. Water being related to mana flows would also fit with the reward for awakening water magic being a lower mana cost.

Maybe the mana storage building or a new building that boosts the flow of mana into the area from the leyline. Maybe something entirely different and awesome.

12. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You are right it doesn’t capture the nature of water magic.

BUT, It could help capture the essence of magic in Ricthers relationship with one of the twins. Bet you can’t guess who?

Dragon likes this.
  13. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No we haven’t seen much about malleable iron until Ricther killed the Iron Scorpion. We do know some armor types are bad for casters and can cause backlashes. Where as other armor types might even help casters.

14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well more likely various robes. High class versions would be something similar to the one the lich wore, with runes (or runic script at least) wowen into them.

Losing the demerit to wearing armor at higher levels just means there isn't a major reason wearing armor is bad for casters. If you add in options that bestow various bonuses such as robes giving them an advantage you force them to make a choice between higher defence vs stronger magical abilities.

LazorGoop likes this.
  15. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Agreed, though I think to start it's likely more a problem of splitting focus and affinities. Most mages out the gate likely don't have a high affinity for heavy armor and vice versa for heavy armor users and magical affinity.

Then there's the part where to level up armor skills you have to get wailed on constantly. Not ideal for a Mage who's spells keep getting interrupted at low levels. They can't stand up to assault forever, and they're spells aren't getting cast when they want them (consistently). The follow up is they should have melee weapons but not everyone is Richter. Mages are rare and the chance they would also have high affinities for melee and heavy armor only gets slimmer from and already slim chance.

Robes offer an immediate return without the penalties from armor, so they offer a quicker path to power. But there's no reason currently to think they should be able to offer anything a suit of armor can't, outside of unique crafting components. Like when he was making the forge and tried moonstone, it offered a cumulative reduction in mana costs for armor items.

16. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A Robe made from (layered & padded) Malleable Iron might be very good for a Magic User, especially if Crafted and Enchanted in ways specific to helping Spell Casters, there are probably Runes that do this as well that can further boost those Robes.
    A Malleable Iron Great Coat/Trench Coat might work well for Richter, especially if it's designed to be adjustable enough to be able to go over his Light Armour as well as worn on its own. Or even just as an extra defensive Tabard and Under Cloth layer of Armour for Joints and other weakly Armoured area's.

Also an wondering that if there is Malleable Iron then if there are other forms of Malleable Metals, like Malleable Ebony, QuickSilver, True Silver, Cobalt, Glass, MoonStone, Elementium, ect. Or even if Malleable Iron can be upgraded into Malleable Steel by Crafting/Alchemy/Smithing/ect.

I am wondering wether Cloth Armour/Robes might be a Skill of its own, or if it might fall under the Light Armour Skill or if it might be a possible Sub-Skill of Light Armour?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
  17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was thinking that the advantage of mage robes would be that they sacrifice Defense in favor of a bonus to casting speed and a decreased chance of failing the spell. Both scaling a little with crafter level.

18. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They kind of already do, being that they don't cause a detriment to casting like every armor type, but I get your point. Maybe, though it think it would have more to do with either the materials used, the diagram for the armor, or the enchantments placed upon it, rather than crafter level specifically

19. LazorGoop

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What Richter really needs is "Ravenger Garb". That kit is what I would want.

20. LazorGoop

78%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe the Mana Storage can be integrated into a Bath House with MV plumbing. The Bath House bonus could be mana refresh, mana cost reduction, and mana regeneration boost for all that use it daily. I think it could fit nicely between the House of Healing and the Barracks.

But I like the idea of putting the mana storage in a Room in the Dungeon. That has some real interesting potential.

Maybe Richter can quarry some of the Dungeon Stone and use it to build the Mana Storage outside of the Dungeon if he uses a Core. Dungeon stone could be one of the 3 ingredients.

I still think he needs to build some sort of apartment complex though.