ALL THESE Spells

Discussion in 'World Mechanics' started by Johan, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    page 2

2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Now that's a quarantine

Johan likes this.
  3. Commander Azure

Commander Azure Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really wish we had Weak Cure Disease right now.

4. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Any chance of a List of Spells seen and used in the Books but not owned by Richter, just a Brief Description, a Possible Name and what Book it was first seen and Who Used it, like the Spells used by the Female Kobold Mage in Bk3, Stinking Bog Spell, ect, and the like?

Johan likes this.
  5. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    not quite 40 but also so true

6. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    you predict my intent. I was thinking about just that. Im trying to figure out how best to format the list. I noticed that If I have too many bullets, it isnt readable on my phone very well.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Andrew Lynas likes this.
  7. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Spoilers do pretty well. I've been having trouble with the type box breaking its bounds when I type things up on my phone screen (pretty much the only way I access the site) especially when creating threads on my phone. @Paul Bellow, ever seen or heard of this? Using dark mode just incase that helps.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  8. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Im thinking something like this

Mist Worker
    bktypelvlraritycooldownmana cost
    1settlement1?N/A100
    Able to perform simple tasks of menial labor. The mist-like properties of your constructs halve all physical damage. Lasts 24h. Mist worker, Lvl 1. Health: 50/ 50, Mana 0/ 0, Stamina 400/ 400.

Book 1, Settlement Magic
    Mist worker, Lvl 1. Health: 50/ 50, Mana 0/ 0, Stamina 400/ 400. Able to perform simple tasks of menial labor. Cost 100 mana. Cooldown: N/ A. Lasts 24h. The mist-like properties of your constructs halve all physical damage.

Mist Worker
    bktypelvlraritycooldownmana cost
    1settlement1?N/A100
    Able to perform simple tasks of menial labor. The mist-like properties of your constructs halve all physical damage. Lasts 24h. Mist worker, Lvl 1. Health: 50/ 50, Mana 0/ 0, Stamina 400/ 400.
    might need to keep it in a spoiler, but there is less need of a table in a spoiler. I would just add screen shots, but each post can only hold ten.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    Andrew Lynas and ShoughtLoud like this.
  9. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    the only issue I have is my words being deleted when I just want to move them to the next line. The last forum had it too, but this one is a bit worse.

10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Which type box: The one you are actually typing in, or the box with the already posted text?

11. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The main message box.
    Normally it'd be locked to the same size as the font bar, but sometimes it becomes wider and skews the screen so it can keep the text written visible, cutting off some things. Like the bold and italics buttons, or the text on the left side of the box. When it does this I can't drag the screen back to fix the view either.

12. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Blood Transport,
    Richtær should know this spell like the others he know if only his skill level is high enough.

<<No. We will need their blood to fuel a spell. I will cast it, but you have a decision to make. I can protect your mind from its influence. I can give you control of your body again, and the ability to save all of your friends and the prisoners.*

The consciousness reached into Richter’s mind and flooded it with information. Then it tore the Bloodstone’s hooks free. Once again, all the chaos seed knew was pain.
    <<We must not hesitate. The “Voice” has already started transferring power to its master, and I cannot stop the process. We must use the spell now.>> It transferred the knowledge to Richter’s mind, and the chaos seed began chanting.

Words of Power continued to fall from his lips as Richter cast a spell well beyond his skill, but not beyond the Bloodstone’s. It augmented his magical capabilities, but still the words grew thick in his throat. Alma landed on his shoulder, though, and opened their Psi Bond wide, adding her will to his own.

It was enough. As even more goblin forces made their way into the valley and bore witness to the carnage of those that had come before them, they also bore witness to a thick bar of blood-colored light shooting into the air. It pierced the clouds, causing them to peel back in concentric circles, and red-gold lightning played across the sky. The bar of red light began to pulse faster and faster until there was a clap of impossibly loud thunder. With a final shout, Richter finished the spell that would take his people to safety, “Helgafel!” And like that, they were gone.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    Andrew Lynas and Cire122 like this.
  13. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So how does Richtær achieve additional ranks in a spell? The Hearth Mother can did it with some of her spells. The Druid through the blood stone also did it.

Hisako cast a spell unique to her Mastery of three Powers, Brilliant Earth. A thin dome of rock rose around her and all of the sprites and captives. A second later, it was covered by a layer of living plants, then the sunlight itself created a lattice of light to protect those within. She triggered the next rank of the spell, and three more layers of Earth, Life, and Light covered the first shells. Each triple layer bound together to make a shield powered by three Basic Elements. It was the strongest protection she could muster. The mana levels of everyone present began to be drained quickly. Before she could trigger the third rank though, the Bloodstone finished its spell.

The Bloodstone accessed the caster’s strongest magic, a spell Radg-or had never had the skill level or the willpower to fully master. For the age-old stone, casting it was child’s play. The Bloodstone floated into the air. It settled into place one foot above the possessed Druid’s head. The relic shone with a baleful light, promising death to all who dared look upon its majesty. The entity inhabiting the caster’s body began to move both arms whilst words of Power spilled from its lips. Yellow light appeared on both its hands. The hue of the light shifted to red, green, blue, and back to yellow while it cast the Talent-purchased spell, Storm of Judgement. The active spell was only limited by the mana and skill of the caster. The sky began to darken again and devastation fell from the sky. All of the elemental forces of the Druid’s Profession descended like a verdict from heaven. Spheres of ice that Froze enemies on contact, balls of fire that made goblins Burn, bolts of lightning that Stunned and golf ball sized rocks that Poisoned anyone unlucky enough to be near the impact craters began to fall from the sky. The frequency and the strength of the attacks increased as the Bloodstone fed more mana into the spell. It expended the life energy of more than twenty sacrificial victims to advance to the second rank of the spell. Each level that the spell reached made it more powerful, but also cost exponentially more than the rank before. The strength of the spell began at weak, but within seconds it had progressed to minor. Even from the beginning, though, weak was a misnomer. The spell’s AoE began in the middle of the battlefield, so it was the goblins trapped in the webs that were struck first. The lucky ones stayed unconscious as they were burned, frozen, poisoned, and electrocuted. The falling balls of fire began to burn through the webs, but any goblins hoping for freedom found it to be a false hope. Soon every one of them that could still scream was raising his voice in agony, victims of the Bloodstone’s spell. The AoE expanded as the spell grew in power. The black clouds flashed with the colors of the four elements: yellow, blue, red and green. The flares came faster and faster, bursts of light accompanied by ear-splitting claps of thunder. The wind picked up from a breeze to a gale in less than a minute, until no one could hear even the shout of their comrades. Everyone on the battlefield looked up at the maelstrom in fear, but none felt terror as much as the fleeing goblins.
    Though he didn’t know it, the Bloodstone had funneled enough mana into the storm that it had progressed from minor to common. The size of the elemental attacks falling from the sky had grown larger, and they were falling faster than ever before. There were plenty of spaces that weren’t being hit with the elemental attacks in any given moment, but entering the storm and making it to the other side would just be a matter of luck.
    Yoshi was struck in the chest by a lightning bolt and went down. The storm had reached the enhanced rank, and a large black scorch mark could be seen between his pecs. Another spot of blackened char was on the bottom of his foot where the electricity had exited his body. The adept went down, and smoke rose from his body in slow dark curls. Richter and Sion gritted their teeth and kept going.
    The storm continued to build. It reached the trees, and those left living retreated back from the now potent rank spell. The elemental attacks were falling so quickly that they struck the ground in a steady rhythm. The sprites had picked up the bodies of the Hearth Mother and the other mages. They shielded them with their own bodies, but despite the tree cover, they all knew death would come soon. All would have been lost, except for the savage love of one small dragonling.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  14. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    At a guess, other then finding more powerful/Ranked versions of the Spells, there is probably a Talent that would Allow you to Rank Up a Spell. Also increasing the PoPs Level would also increase PoP Magics Ranks. There may well also be Items that can Boost a Spell Rank and Power, maybe also Spells that can temporary do it for certain Elements?

Cire122 likes this.
  15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually I think it because the spells are "active" and the rank is just dependent on how much Mana you can pump into it.

The active spell was only limited by the mana and skill of the caster.
    The frequency and the strength of the attacks increased as the Bloodstone fed more mana into the spell. It expended the life energy of more than twenty sacrificial victims to advance to the second rank of the spell. Each level that the spell reached made it more powerful, but also cost exponentially more than the rank before. The strength of the spell began at weak, but within seconds it had progressed to minor.

I don't think Richtær has any active spells.

Cire122 likes this.
  16. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @Johan you've missed out the Laughing Skull and Weak Animate Dead Spells from the Spell list that Richter knows.

Johan likes this.
  17. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks!

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  18. Hmmm

Hmmm Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How do the bad guys keep locking the doors?
    Book 1
    The robed skeleton waved its hand, and the doors slammed shut with an ominous boom, locking them in.
    Book 7
    With a wave of his hand the stone door slammed shut.

How did Hisako immobilize Richter and Sion in book 1?
    Richter felt his body seize into immobility while Sion cursed beneath him,

19. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My guesses in the order I find them most likely:
    1) A more sinister hidden ability of a life master
    2) A talent based near instant cast spell like the Lich had for the one sided shield
    3) A spell she had cast before that she was able to use when they showed up (Something like a "minor order") if something like it exists it could be beneficial to cast it for 100% up-time in the bounds of the PoP

20. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My guess. These are real mages and Ricbter is a hedge wizard/ spell slinger with no idea how magic works nor is he putting any effort into making the transition from amateur to professional despite Hearth Mother personally coming to him to offer teaching at no cost. Given his total lack of effort its not strange others can do things he cannot nor that they would have many times the mana pool and mana use effectiveness solely from mastering various support skills.

This is probably a fruit of mastering unaligned magic and the other basic skills that allow a mage to craft spells. It makes sense that part of that is an ability to use magic directly for very simple tasks (and spellcrafting) without the need for spells. Its effectively a parlor trick, but one with a thousand uses.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2020