Stopping the LitRPG Trademark...

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Paul Bellow, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gamelit.org is apparently being worked on...
    Also, for the man with the mouth that's always open, Aleron is suspiciously silent. Waiting for the storm to blow over and not get involved.

2. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I sent a personal mail to amazonlong ago asking for a litrpg category. I have no idea why they keep telling us there isn't enough demand.

3. Odyssey

Odyssey Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks to all for the clarifications. I have read and enjoyed the Ready Player One book and am looking forward to the movie. I have been compiling ideas for, and been wanting to write, an Adventure-Within-a-Game type of novel for a while now but I have never been interested in writing (or reading, for that matter) all of the "stats' stuff so I have been putting it off as being beyond my ability to make it interesting to those in the gamer world. That there are categories called “GameLit” and “Portal Fantasy” is great for someone like me. It gives some order to things and now makes it easier (for me, at least) to consider finally writing the story.

4. Dustin Tigner

Dustin Tigner Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

14%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Utah, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    James asked me to reply since I built the site. The GameLit website is meant to give the official definition of the genre. What we have is the genre definition consensus--from the GameLit Council--after dozens of hours of debate.

GameLit is not a sub-genre of portal fiction. To be GameLit, the story must have gaming elements essential to the plot PLUS by a sub-genre of Science Fiction, Fantasy, or Science Fantasy.

The keyword "Often" here is used to give authors more freedom. If the author can provide the gaming elements that target our audience while being outside of these parent genres, that's great. One example would be The King's Avatar (a Chinese anime).

If you look at LitRPG.com, you'll find that it's heavily biased toward Aleron Kong's products. It was agreed upon that GameLit would remain 100% neutral, which is why we don't list books. You can easily search GameLit on Amazon to find GameLit books.

The current website was a quick effort to provide the information necessary to understand what the genre is. I'll be updating the site with more information and links to communities in the not-too-distant future. If you have any requests, feel free to let me know.

I'm happy to answer any GameLit questions you may have. :)

5. Odyssey

Odyssey Level 3 (Apprentice) Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I know this is silly, but… I love making the bubbles skitter away when you touch them. :arcade:

6. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I played with them for like thirty minutes when I first went to the site, so I'm glad I'm not the only one. Haha.

7. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  8. James G Patton

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Jay, Paul Bellow and Alexis Keane like this.
  9. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, it was rather mealy mouthed, they danced* around the issue without actually addressing it...

*If you could call it dancing... they stumbled around the periphery of the matter as if they were waltzing with windmills

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They're also VERY low in how much some authors are making.

Shhh!

[​IMG]

Jay, James G Patton and Alexis Keane like this.
  11. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Indeed, Paul is making 5 digits a month:
    $100.99

in all seriousness, though. They might be angling for a slice of the pie, which would give them a reason to underexaggerate it while not getting on the bad side of Ado... Aleron Kong

12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  13. Alexis Keane

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Meh, you're probably right... I just can't help it... that face is begging for an egging...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  14. James G Patton

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

I very much agree. When they said Kong was making mid 5 figures I started laughing. And I agree again, either they were lowballing it to scare people away or they just have no idea.

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  15. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    If y’all are making six figures, I should charge more for my services.

16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Not all, but if you're consistently hitting top 100, you're likely making bank...

Alexis Keane and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  17. James G Patton

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm definitely not hitting that much, at least with writing, not even close, hell I don't think I even hit 5 figures with it haha. Yet. But I can guarantee Kong and a few others are hitting six figures easily.

18. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, but what about the “average” self published books on Amazon though?

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It depends. There's no way to tell, really, because the rank is based on total number of sales in the store.

So, one day you sell 10 books and hit XX,XXX rank, the next day you could sell 10 books and have a lower/higher/worse rank because more books total were sold.

All that said, it's still better than the pre-self-publishing days.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Amazon basically monetized the traditional publishing "Slush Pile..." for better or worse. Heh.

20. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Basically the huge steaming pile of shit got bigger, but since the ratio of shit to diamonds is the same, there’s more diamonds overall.