Story Idea - The adventures of an Item Shop owner

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Kidlike101, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've had this idea for awhile knocking in my head. Please let me know what you think of this.

Has anyone written a tale about the NPC shop keepers in games?

I'm think she has zero offense and along the line learns merchant skills like appraisal and identify object as well as crafting. The one real spell she has is return.

The adventures is her sponsoring a beginner adventure for a cut of the loot (and the use of return since he's a fighter so zero mana) which she sells in the shop.

Starting from crap like copper swords, healing leaves...etc to more specialized requests like dragon blood which is where the real money is but you sell like one per 10 years or something so it's by request only.

Now the steaks. She is accompanying the raid party since she is the one casting return. living a sheltered life like most humans her HP is 10. It's a one hit KO for her meaning that she is in fact a liability to her party.

Second steak. She has a target to meet at the end of each lunar cycle. Paying back the loan she inherited with the shop... to the demons of the Netherworld Bank. The interest keeps going up and they are just waiting for her to miss one payment to claim the shop, her soul and her grandparent's souls (original shop owners before she inherited it) so their representative actively sabotages her though at times helps if he thinks the payoff is worth it. It's just hard to tell him being a demon and an accountant no less! But if he either hits his target collection or get to Repo man her he'll finally be promoted from lesser demon so win-win right?

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    Conor Kostick, Jay and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Paul let me know if I'm in the wrong forum.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You're fine. This reminds me of a game that came out recently...

Jay likes this.
  4. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It sounds like a fun idea. Write it!

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

I think that sounds like a really fun idea! I'd read it.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've heard bad things about that game... apparently they ripped of a game from 2009 (recettear) and just removed the price tags on the items.

I've played quite a few games where you own a shop and they're my fav. though Recettear is the best of them still. I just worry it might be a dumb idea seeing how it's more fantasy with game mechanics (You are controlling the shopkeeper npc after all).

I'll start on a draft in the morning and see how it goes, might be a fun side project and if it sucks I'll just hide it!

Seagrim, Paul Bellow and Jay like this.
  7. Simon Fiasco

Simon Fiasco Bringer of the Avocadopocalypse LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They made a game that was very much like Recettear, but saying they ripped the game off is like saying Halo (2001) ripped off Doom (1993) or Starcraft (1998) ripped off Command & Conquer (1995). They're similar in a lot of ways, but there are some rather stark differences, as well.

Paul Bellow and Jay like this.
  8. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's just what I heard. I didn't like the art style so not bothering with the game.

There are a few games that have the same basic idea. Open a shop / restaurant / bar. Go dungeon crawling for the stuff and sell them to customers, maybe craft them to increase your profits (Wheat is 1 gold but if you craft it to bread that's 5 gold, add walnuts and that's 45 gold for walnut bread!) . It's a very simple idea but apparently that game was too close to recettear for people.

we need more of these games honestly. A lot of the ones like this are five minute mobile apps with zero depth when the concept could be so much fun!!!

Then again I'm a hoarder in-game so telling me to go gather items and sell them for cash is like asking me to breath. LIKE DUH! why do you think I'm playing this? For the plot?

Jay likes this.
  9. Simon Fiasco

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd like to add a "me too!" to this.

Back to the subject at hand, I think the idea has a lot of merit. Perhaps while she goes on adventures, she actually learns new adventuring skills, and as the story advances, she could learn new spells and generally be helpful to the adventurers she's sponsoring.

Jay likes this.
  10. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe but since her class is merchant they will be more supportive in nature. Have any suggestions?

I haven't decided on the personalities yet since those come to me as I write.

I love character driven tales but I get carried away sometimes.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  11. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That sounds like that could be an interesting character arc to me. Definitely a bit different than most LitRPGs, but still has the elements that have potential to be a ton of fun.

12. Simon Fiasco

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well... what skills would a merchant have?
    • A keen eye, so high Perception.
    • Knowledge about the value of goods, so high Appraisal.
    • The tenacity to haggle or barter well, so high Negotiation.
    • The ability to repair damaged goods, perhaps? So maybe a Crafting or Repair skill of some sort.
    • She "knows people," so some kind of Connections ability (whether a skill, talent, or feat).
    • She also needs to be able to show off her goods, so while she'll never be, for example, as good a swordsman as the fighter, she might be able to pick up a few pointers from him. Same with a mage for magical items, and so on.
    Most of those abilities should be useful, at least to some degree, to the party. Perhaps she is allowed to pick up a second class, too, like Alchemist, so she can make healing potions (which she can sell at her shop or provide to her adventuring team).

Kidlike101 and Jay like this.
  13. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I might use some of that. I was thinking of making her a bit of a simpleton if I go the comedy route. Personality is everything IMO and I always laugh when one character (demon) is super smart and devious but everyone around them is a moron so he's plans and schemes fall flat. I know, my sense of humor is under developed. Sue me!

Repair basket = It caught fire... nobody knows how.
    Negotiation = If another simpleton then yay friend! If normal we might be at war now.
    Appraisal and identify get better with time. She will be starting at zero so might end up scammed quite a bit at first.
    Perception = surprising, anything with fluffy and cute will be spotted within a million mile radius. anything else... coin toss!

Jay likes this.
  14. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's been done, a lot.

There's an entire video game franchise based around grinding for materials and crafting items with them (the Atelier series), and another entire video game franchise based around grinding for materials and crafting items with them (Monster Hunter), and at least two separate games where you take on the role of an item merchant as the MC.

The Atelier games got an anime adaptation for a few of the franchise entries, and there was one episode in Sword Art Online where a crafter accompanies Kirito and is generally useless except for getting him in more trouble. There have been others, but those are the only two that come to mind, but the others are all based on LNs or video games. Also one currently airing anime that may or may not count (Holmes of Kyoto), because I haven't been watching it yet. I'm waiting for a sufficient backlog so I can binge it if it passes the 3 episode test.

So the idea is around in books, games, and (loosely defined) "movies/TV series".