Super Robot Wars fans?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by SamuelKKauffman, May 17, 2018.

1. SamuelKKauffman

SamuelKKauffman Level 11 (Thief) Roleplaying Shop Owner LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I know I'm one. I actually have a fair collection of games from that franchise on me right now. The first game I got from the franchise was Judgement, which I had to get patched for translation purposes since that particular game had not come out officially in English, followed by getting the two Game Boy Advance versions of the first two Original Generations games (I think). I still need to beat all the GBA titles I have... but, that's what I should do first, so to speak.

Now, I post this thread to ask, how many people here are fans of that particular franchise? What got you into it?

SmilingBlueWolf and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member Shop Owner LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I haven't heard of it before. Are they still releasing games?

3. SamuelKKauffman

SamuelKKauffman Level 11 (Thief) Roleplaying Shop Owner LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why, yes, they still are... *looks down at the ads section by Amazon to see a selection of games that revolve around the SRW franchise*

...at least, that's what it showed me, the ads.

*ahem* In all seriousness, they came out with X earlier this year, which has two meanings to the letter. Nominally, a letter means one word that it's short for, but X has two meanings. Crossover (since X means cross under normal circumstances) and another word that I don't remember right off (that has to do with the enemies of the game).

Please note, the games were initially a Japan exclusive, but then they decided to release the last three with English subtitles as part of their 25th-anniversary project. Translation quality is still a bit variable since they used SEA-region English, not American or even UK English, but they're getting better.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  4. SmilingBlueWolf

SmilingBlueWolf Level 8 (Thug) Citizen Aspiring Writer

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am! Played J, Original Generation on GBA, SRW Alpha Gaiden (translated) on PSX, a few others untranslated, and I have SRWOG: Moon Dwellers and SRW V on ps4 right now (finished MD, not V yet). I wish all of the games were translated, but I do love that the recent ones are coming out in English. I'm definitely doing a Mecha Based LitRPG down the line. Just saying! :) I got into it because I'm a huge fan of turn-based games, and was looking for something similar to Front Mission at the time.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. SamuelKKauffman

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Which OG game on the GBA did you play? I'm certainly curious about that.

Also, yes, I wish all the games were translated as well... it would certainly be a lot better for things like this. However, the first game that was supposed to come out in the west, last I heard, was given a copyright strike, so to speak... stupid Harmony Gold.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  6. SmilingBlueWolf

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I finished both OG 1 and 2, all routes. The series is indeed a copyright nightmare on the west, too many different studios holding rights. The solution was simply to add subtitles haha but they can't sell directly, so we need to import and costs rise.

Last edited: May 17, 2018
    Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. SamuelKKauffman

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah, okay, I get ya. Still, yeah, I really need to remember to play the games I have in the series... this is proving to be a right pain in the arse.

True, costs rise because of the import issues, especially if someone wants to get an authentic Macross in their games... like, say, Delta!

8. SmilingBlueWolf

6%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The best one I've played so far has been SRW OG: Moon Dwellers, best graphics, story, and characters. My favorite is Lt. Kyousuke from OG, too bad he doesn't have much of a role on MD. Do play it if you can. Also, look up Alpha Gaiden on the PSX, it was fan translated and it's great.

9. SamuelKKauffman

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, this took me longer than I thought I'd be able to post it, but I can safely pin that on finally booting up SRW X... and then getting the DLC for it. That took an insane amount of time for me... annoying doesn't begin talking about it.