The Back Catalogue

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Zachariah Dracoulis, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Something I'm noticing as I release more books is that while the one I'm releasing doesn't always make a huge splash, there's usually a trickle down to other books. For example, with this latest release there was some weirdness with the sales. For one thing the categories were messed up (which makes it hard to find), and for another it just didn't sell as magically as others. However, for all the sales this book DIDN'T get, others did. The Mulligan Planet just got its first review on the US store, the Fraggeds are climbing the charts, as well as the other LoTs. My point is that having a back catalogue has really made a difference in my overall success as an author, and that's kinda cool.

Anyway, I'd love to know what you guys think about this. Have any of you authors noticed something similar?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Series do even better. Look at Bella Forest in Romance genre.

How's your next one coming along? ;)

Zachariah Dracoulis likes this.
  3. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  4. Zachariah Dracoulis

Zachariah Dracoulis God Emperor of LitRPG (I can be an egotist too) LitRPG Author Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's comin, it's comin ;)

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I look specifically for long running series and go from there in terms of finding new things. Or I'll read a recommendation and if I like the authors work, I'll generally deep dive their entire catalogue over the course of a day or two. If I like it *enough* I'll even devour the off-genre stuff, although there are some things I draw the line at. Like romance novels - JD Robb is a pen name for Nora Roberts, but where JD Robb writes near future police procedural/crime novels that are my guilty pleasure, Nora Roberts writes "romance" novels that I can't stand.

6. VRRanger

VRRanger Level 12 (Rogue) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

67%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Washington State, USA
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I love JD Rbb, just started rereading the series from the beginning.... But don't tell anyone :)

CheshirePhoenix likes this.
  7. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pretty sure that's why she writes those under a pen name instead of as Nora Roberts. So people who don't read romances aren't ashamed to display them on bookshelves or coffee tables.