The City Omru

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Jan 29, 2021.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oops I meant Aleron, not Richter. But good point on Richter.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2021
  2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I expect Aleron might go all the way to goblin slayer levels of cruelty. I'd argue he already has, given that Heman broke the legs on an elven woman who refused to have sex with him and then raped her from behind, presumably grinding her broken legs into the floor.

Heman might not see that as an evil act but any being deserving of life would. That view might make me intolerant, if so i'm proud to be intolerant of evil.

Very few human beings are at the level of depravity shown by Heman, I doubt its common in non-evil settlement to be so cruel, even to a sex-slave. This is snuff film level stuff.

3. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Find a quote on that pile of filth. The quote you show was my capitulation to your argument. I had said that Orges at most would have a large villiage perhaps one or two clans living in log homes not hand carved stone buildings.

Mister Bill and Dragon like this.
  4. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Suppose its not a pile of filth. An exaggeration on my part.

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My point in the earlier thread is that I think Ogres will be stupid, but not too stupid to keep a city in reasonable shape as long as they have plenty of subordinate tribes to do most of the work of maintaining said city.

I think there will be
    Tens of thousands of orcs, goblins, gnolls and other similar races in a smattering of clans and tribes. Along with smaller numbers of drow and druegar. Sitting on top of an even larger slave population. All kept in check by the brute force of ogres.

Not all of them will necesarily live in the city itself, but they might well be dependant on the Local Master and his spells for growing crops. Something like the mist lights that last a year would be a great asset for an underground farm.

Mister Bill likes this.
  6. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Some very internet ideas here with that the city could look like. I’m on board with a powerful ogre tribe/clan lording it over the orcs and such because they’re physically more powerful and are just smart enough to keep things going.
    Then they send out the orcs and others to raid local areas in the underground and generate income and tribute and such.

7. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can see that as a temporary situation. I’m thinking the Orges just pushed themselves in. I just find it too hard for Brawn to rule over Brains. Normally Brains rise to the top and rule Brawn thoughtfully.

Mister Bill and Dragon like this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There have been some pretty brutish rulers historically, some of whom combined their brutality with total idiocy. They usually get names like the crazed or the bloody. They usually leave ruined countries behind, either their own or their neighbors.

In a normal society where ability to rule is at least somewhat important, intelligence and talent matter. An ogre dominated city on the other hand probably has a deeply dysfunctional government, with minimal input from smarter beings doing what they can to mitigate the damage. I'd think the ogre lord rules because he is too strong, has too many wellarmed followers, or has some kind of backing.

TLDR
    I agree, its either a temporary situation or at worst the city is being run straight into the ground by the ogres because the other races simply cannot get rid of the ogres.

Mister Bill likes this.
  9. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am thinking It was probably a stronghold first and foremost (repopulated with Ogres after the stronghold fell long ago) used by Ogres. Then there hangers on and little peoples developed the caverns to support them, as the hangers on also gain protection by being under the Ogres. I will also invoke the "they are strong, the are also never wrong" clause. They might have some advisors that help with governance for increased freedom to do what they want and additional luxuries.

So it is not stereotypical, I would like to city what a Ogre rules and run city is like. A few immigrants, servants, and slaves with a majority population of Ogres. How would the mighty live, what kind of tech would they develop and what buildings would they build...or carve out of the cavern.

Mister Bill likes this.