The Dungeon is pretty great, but...

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Joe Schmoe, Mar 12, 2021.

1. Joe Schmoe

Joe Schmoe Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

72%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I cant wait to see what happens.

2. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    All this talk about the chaotic bloodstone carries me back to one of the structures I have beat to death.

PLEASE PLEASE BUILD A SLAUGHTER HOUSE TO FEED THE DUNGEON!!!!!!!

It should also have another room for the death penalty

Many of you didn’t like this one but Ricther should have a room for adventurers to sacrifice a animal in the name of luck which would still feed the dungeon.

Ricther wouldn’t need to run the slaughterhouse all the time. If his village was surrounded he could crank it up. Killing off excess live stock frees up grain for human use. Plus he could cast some blood magic from the slaughter house.

The entirety of those condemned could go quickly and quitely with the bone dagger of sacrifice.

Ricther could have a small industry with adventurers buying approved animals from him to sacrifice for luck.

All carcasses could be processed and added to a dungeon larder. Hopefully some of the cured meat would gain some magical benefit from all the dungeons ambient mana.

Not to beat a dead horse or anything. :)

3. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Why not just.. Set up shop in the entrance chamber with the preexisting pit of despair well of offering?
    Bonus, a small stand selling last second items before entry.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  4. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You know I don't like it for how it will look. Imagine the headline "Lord Richter sacrifices innocent man for Dungeon points" or "family claims accused criminal was only sentenced to death for points". Richter, as judge and jury, would have a direct interest in more death sentences. Its a political turd with high costs and marginal added value as murderers are rare and can be banished to the Dungeon without being sentenced to being sacrificed inside the Dungeon so the government can harvest points. The government executing someone in a specific location for its own gain will never look good.

By banishing them to the Dungeon they have a tiny, tiny chance to survive, travel across the labyrinth and appear somewhere else. The king has left it up to fate, the gods and the Labyrinth to decide the fate of the criminal, whether it be a long agonizing death, a swift end or a new lease on life. Richter can show how harsh but fair his justice is and the populace will know those men and women are no longer a threat.

I like the slaughterhouse. It makes plenty of sense to slaughter animals inside the Dungeon where it can absorb their energy. Depending on the culinary preferences of the villagers, its possible there would be blood and organs for it as well. Most medieval cultures used everything they possibly could though, as they simply couldn't afford to be squeamish about eating perfectly good meat and blood. It also adds variety to the diet.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  5. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We must remember not all blood types are equal. Some flow with much more power. For instance dragons blood is extremely powerful. I would think Celestial blood would be more powerful then the average blood types from the Land. Demon blood would also convey more power as well. I would expect certain blood types to build be richer in magic and that would be better for the bloodstone. A human with now magical abilities should work as well as a humans blood that carries the maximum of magic flowing within it.

6. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The VERY same thing could have been said about the guys Ricther threw into the dungeon. By all means they were feed to the dungeon. Beaten, crippled, and hit with a massive doubt debuff. They had NO magic NO weapons and very limited movement. Do you really think they had a chance? O I suppose some angel could have teleported in and healed them then helped them fight their way back out the entrance but could they have gotten out without permission to come and go from the dungeon?

Men condemned to die are condemned to die. It really doesn’t matter in the long run a fast death is clean. Being chewed on from the toes up seems a bit bloody. Yet the still die and those life energies still go to he same place. There were people that didn’t really like what Ricther had done then Inam sure. It actually horrified many of them but the largest part of those people were also put to death by Ricther. Even so it was out of sight and out of mind.

All Governments put people to death in specific locations. Families, friends, and people doing equivalent things will always have bad feelings about those being put to death. The only real problem with it is if they have a fair trial. When caught as red handed and self admitting to such Horrible crimes as what had been committed there is really no need for trial. Especially when they admit to their crimes in front of everyone. Murder and rape have NO ROOM FOR leniency. If those charged self admit or are caught red handed there isn’t much need in a court. Giving them a chance to escape isn’t fair to the victims or fair to the village.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Considering they were brawlers with high strength, yes I think they had a chance of making it out into the labyrinth and from there to safety. A tiny, tiny chance.

Lieb was level 12 with 42 strength.

Richter won a contest of strength with a giant ichorpede when he had 58 strength, tearing a mandible straight out of its head. That's basically a superhuman feat.

Those two idiots are slightly weaker, but the creatures they face are far weaker than the ichorpede. They can definitely oneshot most creatures at their own level. Level and statwise they Are leagues above many commoners in Law settling out on the path to adventure.

8. Gurston

Gurston Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    People from now on have that chance to get through the Laberynth, but those two didn't. The connection from the Dungeon to the Laberynth doesn't form until dungeon level 10 only Laberynth to Dungeon. which does raise the question how would the mauler have returned to the Laberynth after eating the dungeon back to level 0

Johan and Captain BlackJack like this.
  9. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When the Labyrinth connects to a young Dungeon it creates a one way connection. It can only be passed through from the Labyrinth side.

Another point I had tried to make about the guys put to death by the Dungeon was they weren’t given permission to enter or leave the dungeon. Ricther still has the dungeon restricted now. Much less how NO one could enter or leave the dungeon in the very beginning because he hadn’t given anyone the rights. If they could had as I said they could have only returned to the village due to that being the only way in or out.

Ricther FEED THOSE GUYS TO THE DUNGEON. They were sacrificed to the dungeon by all means.

They had NO way out, No weapons, NO food, NO water, and NO magic in order to survive.
    Plus they were both crippled and left bloody so the beast could ding them easily.

Say what you may those guys did not have a chance.

10. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually he can allow access and not exit at the same time. He realizes his control is nuanced as he is giving them permission to enter.

Also only 1 of them was injured. Could the other have escaped? No, but if he didn't run down a hole straight to the harbinger he could have possibly made a stand against the tuskers /prowlers. Not a good one, and one he had no right to win, but the dungeon is chaos, the possibility existed. I'd say if a prisoner can survive a 3 days in the dungeon with nothing, like these two were given, they'd earn the right to be banished from the mv rather than straight up go die in the Labyrinth.

Dragon likes this.
  11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, you are right. One was beaten horribly while the other watched. The one that didn’t get his nuts bustedwas a cowardly lion at the very best. He cried and froze completely up.

I do believe that my pint is still valid.

Ricther feed them to the dungeon.

1. They had no way to escape the dungeon.
    2. They had no means to defend themselves.
    3. They had no food or water.

So they only had two options.
    1. Run to meet their death.
    2. Or they could try to hide and wait to die.

Ricther wasn’t giving anyone a chance. Ricther did put on the appearance of granting leniency and a fair chance to all of those he condemned.

Ricther was self assured that they wouldn’t escape the dungeon because they didn’t have permission to come or go on their own. He only had one entrance/exit at the time.

Do you really think he was going to let them come back to the Mist Village?

Do you think that Ricther gave the larger group a fair chance when he allowed them to leave? They hadn’t even committed a crime in his village. Yet Ricther saw that they all lost their ability to see as Alma was ordered to kill them. They also seemed to be a bit pissed about the very meager means they were given to defend themselves. None of them were given a weapon that could have been used successfully against Alma. If Ricther didn’t give them a real chance and they hadn’t been found guilty of murder and rape in the MV why would he give someone a chance that had been found guilty?

Do y’all really think that murders and rapist should be given a chance to escape?

12. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I literally agree with all of it except one extra caveat
    Drops from any monsters they manage to kill that give drops

13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can go along with that especially now. I’m not so sure that the two guys feed to the dungeon really had a chance to get as a drop. Did it have the capability at that point to make weapons then? I am still having problems with drops from the Dungeon. It had been stated that he needed rooms in the dungeon that could make specific types of drops. We also know the dungeon has made some drops but where are those rooms facilitating those drops? For me Aleron has left a lot of gaps in his series this being another one.

14. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well the rooms were for improving the drops. Like a poisoners den or alchemist room would improve the potions that were dropping making them less shitty.
    I think it did have a dagger or something but I can't recall for sure.

15. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They could have used Body Parts to make crude Weapons, Bone Clubs, Bone Knives, Chucibapra(?) Spine Spikes, Tusk Blades, Claws, ect.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  16. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, so possible but only if they really knew their shit and shat luck like a chaos seed. It was absolutely a death sentence, just with a glimmers fart of escape of execution. Much like a lot of death row "freedom" opportunities in stories and media

Captain BlackJack and Dragon like this.
  17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Considering level 2 or 3 peasants regularly start a career as adventurers in Law with whatever shoddy gear they can scrape together, the Two bullyboys have least as good a chance of surviving. They Are a lot stronger than most noob adventurers.

Given their history it would make sense for them to have a decent level in unarmed combat as well as Real world experience as fighters.

Had they stuck to the bully way, namely targeted weak, single foes for food and gear drops while hiding from anything even remotely threathening, they would have had a fighting chance.

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Most of that wasn’t there at that time. Plus I think the dungeon consumes all those parts nearly as fast as it drinks blood.

19. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Now how did it spawn a dagger with no room with a forge? It use magically happens when it need to.

20. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Don't need a forge to make a dagger, but making a dagger in a forge environment and with good tools is likely to produce a much much better dagger.