The Great Library of the Mist

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Kordsoldier84, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Kordsoldier84

Kordsoldier84 Level 3 (Apprentice) Exiles Citizen

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just want to throw out an idea about the next core building in "The Land". I'm pretty sure if AK writes in a library it will be called a "Great Library of (whatever)" due to the naming conventions of other core buildings and their relation to what is in our universe ie "The Great Library of Alexandria". Of course, the name won't be of the Mist, but of whatever its main properties from ingredients to create said library.

I also believe core buildings like all other things in the land use a tier system. A Golem from a magic core would be considered a Tier 1 creation; due to the fact it can only affect itself and nothing else. The Forge of Heaven and Dragon's Cauldron would be considered a Tier 2 creation; due to them affecting items inside them and themselves. The Bank of Sound would be considered a Tier 3 creation; It can affect not just items and itself, but also the Land as well. Also, Tier 3 core building requires more than one magic core to create. I believe that a Great Library would be considered a Tier 3 building.

Ak has a formula for Tier 2 building requirements. The Tier 2 core building formula is;
    Magic Core=MG Resource for Item Creation= RIC Tools of the Profession(Anvil, Alchemy Set)= TP
    Finish Item= FI, Number of Effects on Area= E
    TP determines the type of the Core Building.
    RIC determines the characteristics of the Core Building
    FI determines the effect on the surrounding area(?Maybe)
    E how many effects a Core Building applies to The Land.

MG+RIC+TP=Core Building Tier 2

Now that formula holds true for Tier 2 buildings, but not for Tier 3 Core Buildings. Tier 3 CB affects The Land as a whole and as such needs more power, and more importantly not just resources to create, but items that relate to the CB. Furthermore, each item needs an MG to power them in the core building. Also, the quality and rarity of the TP will play a factor in the Tier 3 CB characteristics. For example, if made with a high steel stylus for the TP. All generated stylus inside the CB will be high steel. We have previous examples to go by ie Forge of Heavens the hammers look like Elementum. The formula for Tier 3 Core building will look something like this:

(E*MG+E*FI)+RIC+TP=Core Building Tier 3

I believe that that Great Library will need at least 3 magic cores and no more than 4 magic cores to create a Great Library. I'm not going to go into how Richter will get 2 or more cores. Just that it could happen in the next two books. My theory is that Great Library will require; 1 Skill book, 1 Spell Book, and at least one of the following Blueprint, Template, Recipe, or Schematics.

Please tell me what you people and your own theories and equations.

Now me personally, I would like him to use a Spell Book Akaton's Evolution written in the Tier 2 language Runic, with a Truesilver stylus and condensed crystal ink. And before you guys throw the book at me, Bertle and Bea both can create a stylus out of different materials, they have the schematics for it. I would love to see him write the skill book Unconventional Materials for Great Library. Oh, and the resource would be a blank book made from the wood of the celestial tree. These items are my wish lists of what could be used to create the Great Library nothing more.

Belgared, Mister Bill and Dragon like this.
  2. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    OH Good lord! Welcome @Kordsoldier84

How about generally a Philosophers Sanctorum of Kirimuratq.

::PAL:: Being able to get a book made from the quickening... I hope it is a quest reward.

It is quite the equation too. Don't forget the location influencing it. The Forge of Heavens doesn't get the heavens part from the elementium.

Mister Bill likes this.
  3. Kordsoldier84

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Very good insight on the Forge of Heavens. I didn't think about the area of influencing its creation as well. Something to think about for sure.

Mister Bill likes this.
  4. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sometimes the catalysts is so strong though, it doesn't matter. Dragons blood is such a thing, it even took over his second core building mark.

Mister Bill likes this.
  5. TWW101

TWW101 Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

48%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I like your idea of the number of cores affecting the area of influence. We currently only have 2 examples thought 1 core and 4 cores(bank only suspected to be 4). 1 seems to only affect the building and we are assuming 4 is affecting all of the land/global. What is 2 and 3? 2 = area: eg Forest of Nadria and 3 = zone: eg River Peninsula?

I am not sure we have any ability to figure out tiers at this point, but I would think it would have something to do with the # of MGs. With no solid data it could be #MG+1= tier or (#MG)^.5+1=tier (for the land that starts at tier 1).

Would the formula make more sense to be MG=(RIC+TP). So each core in a 4 core building needs its own RIC and TP?
    Not sure what the TP would be for bank though. Maybe a vault, a scale, a mint, and something else?

6. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My guess would be that at first he will build a regular core library, but such a library could be upgradable later on assuming he has the cores.

That said, Richter is supposed to write a codex of laws, a constitution so to speak, in the near future. I think that book along with the skull from the pool he started at, would give him a core library with a primary focus on law and order. If he is lucky it might also bestow judges with certain abilities to discern the truth of cases presented to them, maybe even a bit of wisdom to lawmakers.

At the same time it would also serve as a repository of knowledge.

7. Sleepyhe4d

Sleepyhe4d Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I really like your ideas but I hope that you are far off with the material list.
    Let’s be real for a second. Our chaos lord will farm chaos points and somehow get the perfect items for the library, just like “spellbook of chaotic wisdom” “almighty book of forgotten knowledge” or “unlimited book of lore - the land from the beginning to the future”

8. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I feel like anything dedicated to Order may have.. Deleterious effects for him and his chaotic groupies once he gets them. Or maybe not. Chaos and order don't seem to be as completely incompatible as good and evil.

I still like those things as catalysts for the town hall, rather than a library though.

Mister Bill, Dragon and Johan like this.
  9. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It would be very interesting seeing what Aleron writes about a codex of "law and order" and MV being a place of law. When he said that during the kangaroo cour , I thought a new vow was going to pop up.

Mister Bill likes this.
  10. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wouldn't that require a new building? Or would court be apart of a castle, townhall, library penitence room (grip by the spine! Nine lashes).

11. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That is a very good point.

"MV is a place of Law; which is Choice not Order" Richter
    "I Choose to rape that girl, and her brother tried to stop me, so I chose to kill him. " rapist
    "Okay, Your choice has been made...um... go get it? " Richter

12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    All courts originally were lords courts, but if Richter has any brains he will seperate the judical powers from his own lawmaking and executive powers, so there be at least a sense of fair play once cases against the crown come up. Otherwise you could end up in a situation where Richter is his own judge or the judge of one of his companions.

More longterm, the same would be true for future lords of the mists. So better to set up a system with checks and balances than allow the kingdom to flounder under a future bad king who can only be removed by a coup or revolt.

Which is my longwinded way of saying, yes it would make perfect sense to build a court house, symbolically separate from the seat of government. It might not be a strict requirement, but I think it makes a lot of sense to build a facility for that purpose. A level 0 building with enough room for a judge, a defendant and a few other people would be sufficient for the immediate future. Not a lot of crime in the village.

Johan likes this.
  13. Sleepyhe4d

Sleepyhe4d Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Of course that makes sense!
    Also richter doesn’t want to be the court for every little thing, like accused theft and sh*t

And if he wants to change things he just does it. Pretty sure he can overrule any judgement, like every other leader in history.

14. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Part of the purpose of seperation of powers is to avoid bias from the executive and lawmaking branches in the judical process. Some countries have no pardoning power as such or leave it with the justice system where it rightly belongs. That way political favors cannot be exchanged for pardons nearly as easily. Hence most modern western leaders are unable to simply overrule judgements, or pardon themselves from past vrimes or crimes they intend to commit in the future.

Obviously Richter can alter the laws if he retains full control of the legislative power. Hence the need for a third branch of power, the legislative branch, to ensure Richter or a future king cannot simply make his own actions legal. In the village i'd put that power with the elder council with a seat for each race and each chartered guild and allow them to write the laws, with Richter retaining the power to veto any and all decisions.

Historically few kings have had the power to rewrite laws at will, there are always factors that need to be taken into consideration.

Mister Bill likes this.
  15. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    well then maybe a room can be added to the backside of the library for a court room, that way the core library is used with the book of law from the study of the natural world (hidden in the glad with the natural law loving skeleton. pierce the vale Richter!),

16. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I can see Roswan stepping out of the Dungeon and eyeing a new core Library. Roswan “What is that?” A core library. “You mean a room with three books?”

Mister Bill and Johan like this.
  17. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Like in Angel (the TV series) where Wolf,Ram&Hart's West Library Wing consisted of a Dozen Books, but they magically contained the knowledge of thousands of Books each, just think of the book you need and it will appear in one of them.

Johan likes this.
  18. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    3 books is a great start for a library. The rest they'll have to write themselves or acquire somehow.

Once they've written down their techs in book form, made maps of the known areas nearby, and written down their discoveries about local herbs, trees, other plants, monsters, beasts and danger locations, they can shake down the kindir for histories of the regions past. Those won't be accurate but at least they'll have an idea what was in the area in the past. I doubt a book exist on most of those things, so well worth it. A chronicle of the village would be worthwhile in its own right.

After that, well the various races presumably know some of their own racial history as well as the big events their own factions have gone through. Many of the villagers, like Krom, have specialized knowledge.

Richter promised that his people will rise with him. Giving them access to knowledge they would be hard pressed to find elsewhere, not to mention the option of learning to read and write more than a few words, would go a long way towards fullfilling that promise.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  19. Kordsoldier84

50%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That is the very reason I think he will do a library next. Richter has learned knowledge in the Land; is worth way more than any amount of gold.

20. Johan

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Im sure there are people who will offer knowledge in the land for a specific price (anyone Richter wants stuff from except the sprites), as we have seen already, but I get your point. Hopefully like the Dungeon there will be a price for entering. This is a private library where the library card costs money, not public... But you can only enter if you bend the knee.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
    Kordsoldier84 likes this.