The Imp's Quest

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Johan, Feb 25, 2020.

1. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't recall the first releases of the books to have "part 1" for any initial quests before "part 2" was reviled. I don't think I like this free preview...maybe.

2. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Quest about the Sick Wolves in Bk1 had 1/I on it, he new from the start that it was probably a Multi Part Chain Quest and even commented on it I believe.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  3. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That was right. It led into the goblins as well because the were the ones infecting the animals.

4. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sure he promised Xuetrix a dance. And then he went back on that promise and the two of them argued about it for a while and finally Xuetrix decided he would let him skip the dance if he would run an errand for him instead.

5. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    By hook or by crook, Xuetrix will get Richter to do what he wants. Or what he has agreed to get him to do, as he could easily still be in the service of Richter's benefactor. Stealing Richter's soul would just make Richter easier to control. Its not the only trick in the ancient demon's handbook nor do I think this is his last attempt at getting Richter's soul.

Guess
    part one of the quest will advance into part two and part three and etc. The imp asked Richter to steal the wand as part one of his quest. Part two will be what he shall use the wand for. Part three will follow up from there and so on it goes. If Richter refuses he loses all exp, meaning all skills and talents are useless. After Richter disarms the imp can beat the shit out of him Heman style until he agrees to do it to make the pain stop.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
  6. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Xuetrix had to pick something that he new Richter would be willing to do because he new that if he didn't that Richter would continue with the challenge/fight and that would probably kill both then them, and the Imp didn't want to risk his own life.
    If course that doesn't mean that he hasn't picked something with hidden issues and problems, as well as being difficult but do able.

7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually he feared that even if he won he wouldn't have the power to claim Richter's soul. The imp wouldn't have suffered even if he lost, the duel was about determining the level of punishment Richter would experience. Even if Richter won he would still have to pay a very high price for breaking his promise.The best he could hope for was losing relationship points with all being, likely along with an oathbreaker trait or similar that all who meet him can see.

Instead he traded his favor for a questline that may well have Richter begging for another favor.

8. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was thinking it just as likely Xuetrix might have become fearful. Xuetrix knows Ricther has a higher power benefactor. I wouldn’t imagine Xuetrix is highly informed by that benefactor either. When Ricthers eyes lit up and he gained his tier two status Xuetrix was clearly shaken up. He had thought everything was pie until that moment. Being in a situation clearly knowing that Ricther has a Benefactor that is significantly more powerful and seeing Ricther transform during the battle of wills could have Xuetrix reconsider what he was doing and whom he was trying to possess. Honestly if I were Xuetrix I would still be looking over my shoulder and watching for lightning.

9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So Richter went from owing a favor to Xuetrix to making deals with him. Because Richter is a dimwit he did not notice how much emphasis Xuetrix puts on them making a deal. Words matter, especially with demons. Him accepting the deal could easily mean Xuetrix now has a claim on his soul.

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

This is another overlooked part of the book. Xuetrix reveals himselfs as far, far more powerful than a mere tier 2 imp. He is some kind of demon lord, most likely above the fifth tier. Currently he is limited to the second tierr, but this is a bad, bad motherfucker. I'm not so sure he would fear Richter's benefactor even if said being is a god.

Also, did he guide Richter into gaining a greater understanding of chaos? Wheels within wheels and all that sort of shit as one might expect from an elder demon.

11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I definitely agree that he stepped in deeper a favor is a favor. But that is definitely less then having a deal. Ricther should have just told Xuetrix hell no on killing someone or stealing that’s not a favor. That’s a duty full action guilds get paid for. A favor is feeding your dog when your on vacation or reaching a glass you can’t reach.

12. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I know Ricther didn’t get a prompt for a curse but I’m still not certain Xuetrix didn’t curse Ricther. It could be possible that Xuetrix being so old and a higher level he could know how to curse people and keeping it quiet.

I also understand Ricther has a higher metabolism now as a tier two. I just found it odd that Xuetrix went on about Ricther being a hungry thirsty Bit/. Ricther, even made a comment if that was even a thing. I wouldn’t put it past the Imp as he doesn’t really want Ricther to achieve his goal anyway.

13. Hmmm

Hmmm Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

I think that was another demon speaking through him
    ...Book 8
    Richter felt like he could see a larger horned demon standing behind the imp.
    ....Book 8
    All he could see were red flames dancing in the demon’s eyes, and the palpable presence that wanted to break out of the creature’s small body.
    .....Book 8
    Looking at both Xuetrix and the thing struggling to get out of the demon,

14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks, for pointing that out. Sometime I miss things due to my kids running a muck while I listen.

Now that could set Ricther up for a big favor if he were to free the Imp of the Demon. Unless the Imp had chosen to try and harness the demon from within. In most stories that often goes the wrong direction.

15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That is his true form.

16. Hmmm

Hmmm Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I had missed that

Nice catch.

Dragon likes this.
  17. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 12 (Rogue) Citizen

80%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How? How would accepting a quest from a demon provide said demon with a claim on your soul?

18. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think the battle of wills was more likely to give Xuetrix some form of control over Ricther. I think the favor and the quest were both designed to help Xuetrix and put Ricther back into some form of servitude to Xuetrix. I believe Xuetrix asking Ricther to kill someone would have put Ricther in a position he knew he couldn’t get out of without help. I’m still not so sure that the Orge that has the wand wasn’t the person he wanted killed. Ricther trying to steal the wand could still have the same original outcome Xuetrix asked for in a favor.

19. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You are a demon. You have a powerful being who owe's you a favor. This being has the potential to become more powerful than anything else in the dimension so far. You have tricked this being into Vowing you a favor to be named later. Do you:

a) use this favor to have the being kill someone you don't particularly like, 5 months after the being has been allowed to amass power, that the being has never met.
    b) Wait till the being is far from anyone who cares about him and try to use the universal magic behind the Vow to have him do something you think he won't do, starting a contest of wills which you think you should win given the short time the being has existed in the place he can gain power, in order lay a claim on his soul, and have him serve you indefinitely.
    c) mostly b) but you realize you cashed in just a little to late so to save face you look way down on your list of things to do and realize there is a loose end nearby that you can have him tie up instead of giving him a minor stutter for the rest of his life since he was powerful enough to bring you almost to a stalemate.

20. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I believe he would have been glad to have him kill whom ever. I also think he thought he could come out winning the battle of wills. As I said before his wand quest was likely created to put him back were Xuetrix wants him in his service.

A and b yes
    C?
    Your second b no.