The Magic in this Other World is too far behind!

Discussion in 'Anime, Manga, Light Novels' started by Seagrim, Apr 17, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've recently started using a new manga app on my tablet called Manga Rock. The old app I've been using died with no updates for so long. When I looked into it, I found that the company that put the app out was dead and their website had been deleted. It did explain the lack of updates.
    So I started using the new app, Manga Rock, which had access to much more manga, with some very decent translations. One I had started reading was "The Magic in this Other World is Too Far Behind" and found it enjoyable. Now I also find it's starting up as an LN series, which makes me hope that one day it gets an anime.

Now, what the bare bones of the story are, it's an into another world story, but, with an interesting twist. The MC isn't the Hero, he's the Hero's friend, who got dragged along by accident. Seems the world they're now in has magic and a Demon Lord. The technology level is that of the middle ages. however, their magic is also at the middle ages level. Meanwhile, the MC of the story is a trained mage, of the 21st century, not the middle ages.

Don't know how the LN is going to be, but, I am enjoying the manga, and if I can get some more of the story quicker than the manga updates, I'll be amused. I always enjoy stories that can have an interesting quirk done well.

51HoVVMioEL.jpg

http://a.co/hBwxd98

Yuli Ban and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Isn't that an "excuse to make the MC OP as hell" kind of story?

Though the app sounds interesting.

Seems like this genre is getting creative with how to get the teen boy to another world and make him hero-sama :p

3. Seagrim

Seagrim Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yep.

But, it's an interesting magic twist, with the MC having been trained in magic, as opposed to..."Oh, so that's magic!" while casting ultimatemagatonkaboom. Or the, "Science!" can be used like magic, like in Rick Cooks "Wiz" series, where he can somehow cast magic by making computer programs using some sort of compiler while having no computer to actually run said program or compiler on...That one made my brain hurt, but, the story was fun.

Apparently our world sounds suspiciously like the background world from the old White Wolf Games "Mage, the Ascension". He's part of the secret magic underworld and has been studying magic for the past decade, meanwhile, anyone who isn't part of the secret magic world has no clue that magic even works.

It's so boring when the writer doesn't even try to make it something other than, "I'm OP cause reasons, now lookit my harem!".

4. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ah it's a hard magic system. Ok I'm back onboard. I find these much more interesting then [A WIZARD DID IT, MAGIK-K-K-K-KEH!]

I wonder when writers will realize we are in it for the adventure and magic not look how many girls I can fantasy bang. I want something the real world can't offer me in my fantasy :D

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    Seagrim likes this.