The Sepulcher and all things Kinder

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Kinder are a race of beings that not only appreciates others possessions but they are also a skilled race. With the Description of their settlement being made of earth and roots they to have their own building style. That stands in a stark difference from the description of the Sepulcher being built of stone and tile. Could it be that the Kinder have two building styles or did someone else build they Sepulcher for them?

2. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It could be that their capabilities decreased with time. Or alternatively they went thru their own version of the dark ages where most of their technology and information was lost.

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It could also be that the way kindir designed residences are different from the way their ancestors built the royal hall/ sepulcher because the royal hall was supposed to be a special place, the home of their ruler and the center of the kindir kingdom. Possibly some influence from the mist emperor and his people.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  4. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Or it could have been a project built and overseen by the Lord Of The Mist. We know all of the races have different building techniques to some extent. To what extent we haven’t fully explored yet. Fortunately for Ricther being unlimited allows his village to use any type of building which can be built.

As we have seen so far the Sprites build in trees, humans use lumber and stone, and goblins use the same materials as humans. Kinder from what was described at Flints settlement was all Cob construction. The Sepulcher was definitely not built by cob construction. With the Kinder a race of adventurers near constantly on the road I could see them not building with real long term materials. Wagons and tents would fit their nature as well.

With some of the Mist Lords in the past having a Dark side could one of them have built the Sepulcher? I would like to think that Ricther as their Lord would have the ability to build any structures he wanted or needed in any of his vassalages.

Belgared likes this.
  5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I imagine it would require little more than a courtesy call on the respective landowner/ vassal for most buildings, often with the vassal in question taking on part off the construction costs. Military fortifications would be case by case.

6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I imagine it would require little more than a courtesy call on the respective landowner/ vassal for most buildings, often with the vassal in question taking on part off the construction costs. Military fortifications would be case by case.

7. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I believe every circumstance is different. From the purpose and the type of structure to the vassalage. Some vassals are glad to be sworn others are forced to take oaths. Some structures such as forts are for common purpose while others like water Wells would be just for that settlement. The Lord himself might have objections. Is it privately owned land or will it be built on the Lords lands. Will the building materials come from private suppliers or would the materials come from the Lords lands and mines?

8. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It was said that all Bodaks would recall one skill that they knew in life. Could that one skill be something besides a combat skill?

If Bodaks can speak the language they knew in life and can remember a skill from life do you think they can learn other skills?

9. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't remember it specifically saying just One Skill?

10. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You're right Lynas, each Bodak remembers memories, skills and sometimes even abilities from their former life. Even so with an intelligence of 2 I’m not so sure how well they would remember more complicated skills. I would think they all would have basic combat skills. Hand to hand combat, melee weapons and ranged weapons would all count.

Book 7
    8:20-8:55

There is no doubt the term skills is plural.

The Sepulcher producing summoning points should have a list of cost for summoning. Each bodak summoning will either be completely random at a base cost per level. Their cost might even be set at level plus skill levels. The randomness of summonings seems more likely but it would be cool if you could summon Bodaks by level and skills. I’m eager to see how it works. It could be all the traps placed in the Sepulchers entrance were made by a bodak. If that’s possible it opens up the can for Ricther to get other much needed professionals helping build up his village. Bodak trap makers, Smith’s, builders, sailors could all be possibilities. That would make the Sepulcher even that much greater of a find. As compared to a structure that only allows the summoning of combatants.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What is the Kinder Sepulcher?

Which definition should we adhere to?

From
    Merriam-Webster
    Definition of sepulchre
    (Entry 1 of 2)

1: a place of burial : TOMB
    2: a receptacle for religious relics especially in an altar

Could it be both?

12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Its a burial ground and a palace I think.

Are bodaks confirmed as the creatures to be summoned? Otherwise, maybe they'll have an option to summon the spirits of ancient kindir to fight for them. Such spirits might be stronger/ have less upkeep than bodaks because they serve willingly rather than being puppets of death spirits? If nothing else they'd have some intelligence.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have thought about it for some time. What had become a dungeon was once a fine structure. I have wondered if it was another keep, a palace, or something similar to the Palatine Chapel. The Palatine Chapel has a throne as well as both types of Sepulchers by definition. It would have had an altar containing a relic and it also acted as a tomb.

With the descriptions of the Sepulcher and it’s 17-18 rooms it had to have had some Grand purpose.

I think by the two above definitions the Kinders Sepulcher could qualify for both. It was the resting place for the Kinder King and all of the bodaks that had been enslaved by the ghast. I also believe that the Sepulcher has to have some type of Focus which turns the ambient death mana into Summoning points.

The Ghast did tell Ricther that the bodaks where already there. I believe he only used the ambient death energies to enslave them. I’m not sure if You can summon bodaks at the Sepulcher. The Ghast also made the comment that he intended to kill everyone in the Kinder Settlement then turn them into his army. He even told Ricther he could use him as another enchanter.

It could be that the Ghast intended on using his death magic knowledge and the death energies there to summon the dead back to life. It also seems as if he used the same knowledge to enslave the dead that were there. The only reference I recall to the Sepulchers power was to summon skeletons. I believe it also mentioned how fast it could turn out click clacks. I don’t think that could be done as easy with bodaks especially if a fresh body is a prerequisite. Although killing an enemy army and being capable of making them rise back to life on your side could be a fast game changer.

The difference being the use of an empowered focus at the Sepulcher facilitating the summoning of basic dead from nothing. As compared to using death magic in raising a army of dead.

14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Narrator did say that He would have the ability to summon not only skeletons but Bodaks.

15. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When Ricther was clearing the Sepulcher they came across a wooden chest secured with bands of metal. It was in the room they cleared prior to moving in on the Ghast in the last chamber. I believe Ricther made the comment that they would come back to it after the mission was done. Does anyone remember him going back to it or was it ever opened? I can’t recall.

Mister Bill likes this.
  16. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh dang. I don’t think they did for sure. The blueprint for the weapon was from a hidden chest, right?

17. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's a good question. I don't think the blueprint was in that chest, but a hidden one. Wtf Aleron, we need to know what's in that chest. Maybe he put in his bag of holding.

Mister Bill likes this.
  18. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It could be that the sepulcher is a building that embodies the ley line, like the house of healing. Though I don't know about any lay line in association with the sepulcher, but there could be.

Mister Bill likes this.
  19. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It could be that the Sepulchre was Built on a Place that was Tainted by a large amount of Death Mana and has been both Containing it and Utilising to power itself?

Johan likes this.
  20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Its also possible that the sepulcher serves as the burial grounds for far more than the kings. Might there be catacombs below filled with the bones of many generations of kindir adventurers, mages, warriors, craftsmen, etc. down below?.That in and off itself would justify its power.

Depending on kindir beliefs at the time the sepulcher may also have served as the royal palace, a place to rule from where the king could hear the wisdom of the ancients and receive their protection (it might be a lot cheaper to summon powerful guardians that can't leave the sepulcher for example).

Mister Bill likes this.