The Sepulcher and all things Kinder

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Nov 28, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The term Sepulcher makes me think of a place of interment for a single person or family Where as Catacombs might be filled with many Sepulchers. The Latin meaning is bury or burial place. What kind of hangs me up on the place is the Litch saying it had grown full or swollen up with death energies. I could see the location continuing to fill with death energies if dead were continually being buried there. Seeing how the location was completely lost to the world for sometime I don’t see how it could grow in energies. Although the location had not been used for some period I would think it had been depleted of death energies during the war that led to its destruction. Energies are normally used up at much higher rates then they can be gained unless there is a continuous flow of energy.

I do understand that Aleron has written about death saturation and death energies saturating lands. Shouldn’t such lands have limitations of only those residual energies that reside there? Other wise such locations would need a tether to a constant source of death energies. The Sepulcher must have some other type of functions or wards that prevent other types of death creatures from naturally spawning. I think it would most certainly have some type of protections in order to prevent other death creatures from finding it and inhabiting it like in the pillar of light tomb.

My thinking is it’s tethered by some sort of summoning circle or portal to a realm of the dead. That way it might leak death energies through that could be contained and used for summoning points. Then they would have near an unlimited access to dead warriors from their after life.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2021
    Andrew Lynas, Mister Bill and Johan like this.
  2. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That constant source of death energy might well be the dead themselves, their Death Power from their interred bones and spiritual remnants, passively transforming ambient mana flowing through the area into death mana.

Andrew Lynas, Mister Bill and Johan like this.
  3. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The term Sepulcher makes me think of a place of interment for a single person. Where as Catacombs might be filled with many Sepulchers. The Latin meaning is bury or burial place. What kind of hangs me up on the place is the Litch saying it had grown full or swollen up with death energies. I could see the location continuing to fill with death energies if dead were continually being buried there. Seeing how the location was completely lost to the world for sometime I don’t see how it could grow in energies. Although the location had not been used for some period I would think it had been depleted of death energies during the war that led to its destruction. Energies are normally used up at much higher rates then they can be gained unless there is a continuous flow of energy.

I do understand that Aleron has written about death saturation and death energies saturating lands. Shouldn’t such lands have the limitations of only those residual energies that reside there? Other wise such locations would need a tether to a constant source of death energies. Unless the Sepulcher has a portal that might leak such death energies that it could absorb and convert to summoning points. It has been states that the Sepulcher does use summoning points. That makes me wonder if a functionable summoning circle would leak death energies the same as other portals such as the fairy mushroom portal.

I need Aleron to clear up some things for me.

Andrew Lynas and Mister Bill like this.
  4. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I understand that to be the process as well myself. The issue I am having is that it’s a limited amount of energy. If it were not then why would death creatures draw all the death energies from their thralls. Would it not be better to draw 90% of their energy then allow them to rebuild their own energy to draw from again. It would be a diminishing reserve of energy but it would be better then draining them all dry to start with.

5. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Are you thinking of a specific example @Captain BlackJack?`

I don't really remember it coming up, but if its a combat scenario they might not have the time or care to only take most of their power reserve. It would be a stupid way to die, killed because you were distracted trying to preserve a thrall for the long run.

6. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Someone a while back asked where all the dead came from that flow from the Sepulcher. Over the last few weeks it dawned on me. Everyone that has taken an oath to fight for the village had a bit in their oath about how they would find a way back after death to fight for the MV again. So could it be that the Sepulcher being a stone building wasn’t built by the Kinder. After all the Kinders structures are made of earth and cob. We also know that the Sepulcher generates undead which the MV has been historically known to have in great numbers

So with the oath sworn by Caulder and others will the Sepulcher return them to fight again? Ricther has had some significant losses for his villages size. Those same losses returned to fight again would might help overcome some adversaries. If those fathers and friends return what are the chances they will be recognized?

Mister Bill likes this.
  7. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The kindir are likely the ones who built it, the whole loyal past death is fitting for them. I believe there was mention of stonework in the village (I also had the distinct impression their wall of plants had something underneath it, possibly an old fortress wall. A truly massive one fit for a large subordinate kingdom. It would explain how the kindir have a magical plant wall in the first place, its a legacy construct of a high enough level to still be functional even centuries or millienia after the kindir stopped maintanance), but even if there isn't the current kindir are essentially the survivors of a cataclysmic series of events that wiped out their overlords entirely and brought an end to their golden age. They lost a lot of technology and knowledge.

That said, I agree the sepulcher will be able to call fallen mist citizens back to serve one more time. Such undead could be very powerful, as they are actual souls rather than death spirits.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  8. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That could be possible. What I took from the descriptions was that their homes seemed to be formed instead of made like a normal structure. There homes were made of earth and of odd materials with no real planing. That made me think that their homes could have been formed with magic. Earth magic could be used to make homes, walls, and other natural barriers. That same earth magic could be used for a concealment spell.

I’m eager for Aleron to get on with the story. Some things we will ever know but I hope he fills in some of his many blanks.

9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wattle and daub - Wikipedia

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We get a pretty good description of the kindirs home, we even know its approximately a quarter mile in diameter. The reason I think there is a hidden city wall is this.

11. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t think it’s exactly wattle and daub. To me it sounds more like Earth magic was used to create the entire settlement.

The path they walked through sounds as if it goes more under earth to me. With Aleron using the terms half earth and rock with roots growing through it. I would think if it were a wall he would have used a term like hewn rock, cut stone, or even laid stone. I am reall more hopeful they have a master earth mage.

12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The kindir village is surrounded by plants on all sides, hiding it from outsiders. Its clearly magical as the plants move out of the way when the key phrase is spoken.

The tunnel walls were described as half earthworks and half rocks.

I think its definitely an old construct of the kindir. A macroenchanted wall. I don't think they would have a master earth mage, or the knowledge of constructing such magical defenses. If its an old wall, built before (or after, by the kindir survivors?) the fall, it would explain a lot. Such as how the invaders got the key phrase for their raids, they forced the old kindir king to reveal the secret.

As for the small hills, I suspect the kindir threw a layer of earth on top of old ruins and built new homes on top. Its currently reduced to a waystation with a few hundred kindir living there permanently (almost certainly not a thousand kindir in total), so they wouldn't have the manpower to maintain an entire town or the need for it. Better to tear most of it down and build new homes.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  13. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It said the entrance was a short tunnel. Which I would expect it to be made of earth and rocks with the roots hanging through. It also said the homes seemed to be grown as much as built. That made me think it was made by earth magic then modified. In my mind there is no doubt that the Kinder settlement uses earth magic. With a group several hundred strong I would expect them to have some farily high level residents. They would definitely need a earth mage to maintain any and all enchantments they use. Unless you are suggesting they have some sort of earth magic core that has indefinitely powered their location. I find the later harder to conceive. The Kinder are living in a settlement and are known for moving around. If there settlement had been there a long time the Sprites would have been aware of it. I also believe that if they had been there a long time they would have known of the Sepulcher prior to the Lich using it.

14. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It could be due to a Skill similar to the Sprites Plant Building skill?

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter says the tunnel is a combination of earthworks and rocks, with the occasional root coming down. Earthworks can be covered in plants, its just piled up dirt. Magical defense plants might have really, really deep roots as a way to store resources they can use to rapidly recover in case of invasion :)

The kindir homes were constructed from wood and clay daub. They were said to look like they'd been grown as the kindir like to allow plants to grow around their buildings and sometimes incorporate them into the structure itself. Which likely lowers the lifespan of said structure significantly, but it seems fitting for the kindir.

16. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Was it really just an occasional root hanging down?