The Singularity Approaches!

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Paul Bellow, May 18, 2017.

1. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So now imagine this + BCI tech. Current non-invasive BCIs are largely based on EEG tech, but they're still pretty interesting.

Cyberkinetic controls are the future of VR. It's also the only way I can see augmented reality taking off.

2. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Roboto Artiste LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It should be remphasized, just because you can (try to) automate anything, doesn't mean there aren't major drawbacks for doing so. It leads to its own kind of fascism, that of a technocratc body that takes away people's jobs. Underwritten is the idea that some groups of people should be treated differently, because they're different. I'm not handing my job to anybody, human or robot. If they wont hire me, I'll find a means to support myself elsewhere, without them. And I probably wont finance their lifestyle.

3. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  4. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Intel’s new ‘neural network on a stick’ aims to unchain A.I. from the internet

Intel pulled the curtain back on something pretty awesome. The device, called the Neural Compute Stick 2, is essentially a trainable artificial intelligence that lives on a thumb drive. Despite its small form factor, it has some big implications for the future of computing.

Just a few short years ago, neural networks required a lot of computing power to run — so much, in fact, that most of the computation couldn’t actually take place on your smartphone or PC. Instead, the task had to be sent to the cloud, where powerful servers could do the heavy lifting and then send the answer back to your device. In many cases, this is still how a lot of computation-heavy A.I. applications work. Take an Amazon Echo, for example. The little puck on your countertop doesn’t have the brains required to process natural language, understand the nature of your query, and spit out an answer within just a few seconds. So instead of spending multiple hours processing your question locally, it taps into the cloud to access more powerful servers, which perform the task quickly, then sends back the result to your speaker.

Intel's 'Neural Network on a Stick' Aims to Unchain A.I. from the Internet | Digital Trends

compute-stick-2-720x720.jpg

LWFlouisa and Yuli Ban like this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  6. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

7. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Roboto Artiste LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It will be interesting to see what they mean: I don't necessarily associate AI with the internet.

8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  9. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    THAT IS SO COOL

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It's also a gamechanger (no pun intended). A more mature version of this has very wide applications in so many areas, ranging from video games and movies all the way to education and travel.

Viergacht and Paul Bellow like this.
  11. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Microsoft Warns Washington to Regulate A.I. Before Its Too Late

Yuli Ban likes this.
  12. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Silicon Valley Is Turning Life into a Ray Bradbury Nightmare

Yuli Ban likes this.
  13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Quantum generative adversarial learning in a superconducting quantum circuit

Generative adversarial learning is one of the most exciting recent breakthroughs in machine learning. It has shown splendid performance in a variety of challenging tasks such as image and video generation. More recently, a quantum version of generative adversarial learning has been theoretically proposed and shown to have the potential of exhibiting an exponential advantage over its classical counterpart. Here, we report the first proof-of-principle experimental demonstration of quantum generative adversarial learning in a superconducting quantum circuit. We demonstrate that, after several rounds of adversarial learning, a quantum-state generator can be trained to replicate the statistics of the quantum data output from a quantum channel simulator, with a high fidelity (98.8% on average) so that the discriminator cannot distinguish between the true and the generated data. Our results pave the way for experimentally exploring the intriguing long-sought-after quantum advantages in machine learning tasks with noisy intermediate–scale quantum devices.

Quantum generative adversarial learning in a superconducting quantum circuit

Yuli Ban likes this.
  14. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  15. Tony Breeden

Tony Breeden Level 5 (Veteran) LitRPG Author Citizen

17%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nick Bostrom pointed out this all-important caveat:

Unless we are now living in a simulation, our descendants will almost certainly never run an ancestor‐simulation.

Are You Living in a Simulation?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  16. nightwriter

nightwriter Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen

74%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Most likely the Earth exploded, humanity is extinct and we are just an app running on some forgotten computer system.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  17. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  18. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  20. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid: