timeline of the land

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by S'ahelas, Oct 7, 2020.

1. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 7 (Cutpurse) Exiles Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I started my first reread and I’m struck by how old futon is. His “initial activation” Was 33,000 years before the, “gods were removed from the land.”

Ritcher started the new age. How long did the age of banished gods last? Do we know what age was before that? Or before that?

I’m trying to piece together when everything was. How long ago were there Draikes? Were the banks created? For that matter, how old is yves and the heart mother and the linch?

I can’t remember there being that much info about these things but if you guys have insights please share.
    Thanks.

2. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nope we have no idea, everything said so far is extremely light on history.

3. Hmmm

Hmmm Level 7 (Cutpurse) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Book 6..last chapter heading
    Day 141 – Kuborn 31, 15,386 EBG

15,386 years.

S'ahelas likes this.
  4. Dragon

Dragon Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We don't know how many ages have passed. There have been 7 cataclysms that almost but not quite destroyed the entirety of the land.

The oldest dungeons are presumably primordial, which means they are more than a million years old.

Of greater interest to me are the recent ages, the age of banished gods and the age of chaos. We know a few important tidbits about the age of banished gods:

about a thousand years before the age of chaos: The Hall of elemental hunters is discovered by humans and the kingdom of Yves is founded. The kings found a dynasty of warrior kings and conquerers that over the centuries managed to conquer the massive regions currently occupied by Yves. Considering the pro nonhuman slavery faction is considered conservative, its possible the early kingdom embraced that practice as well. If so there may have been very few or no free nonhuman residents within the kingdom at the time.

About 200 years before the age of chaos: The kingdom of Rione has been founded, but is considered little more than a handful of unified villages. While its another human kingdom, large portions of the population is nonhuman.

About a century before the age of chaos: Randolphus is born to an Yvesian king. While the king doesn't treat him fairly, he is allowed to live and is raised amongst the royal family. Its possible that this is a turning point for Yves in regards to the treatment of nonhumans within and outside the kingdom.

5. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

52%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A Year in The Land is over 500 Days, can't remember exactly how much over but I think either about 20+ or 60 Days, anyway somewhere between 20 - 80 anyway. Probably not including things like Leap Days and the like.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  6. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Also, time in The Land moves much slower than on Earth, possibly slower than everywhere else.

This makes me think that time is dilated in The Land to slow time for the Exiles.

7. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I got the impression that Earth is the odd one with a greatly accelerated flow of time due to it serving as an experimental playground for the lords of chaos. Gotta get their toys ready fast.

8. Waterhobit

Waterhobit Level 10 (Filcher) Citizen

12%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Time might flow equally in the Land as on Earth. The time discrepancy could be the result of a delay rather than speed. We know that chaos seeds were taken to another dimension, where they were altered by the Lords of Chaos before being released into the Land.

AndyJ and Andrew Lynas like this.
  9. Andrew Lynas

52%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Probably some of all of them, different parts of the Universe would have different Time Flows depending on their distance from the Centre and their Rotation Rate, as well as different Dimensions, Realms and Realities, ect. But I'm thinking that the biggest delay was due to the Lords of Chaos.

10. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When did Aleron say time diiffered based on distance from the Centre of the universe and Rotation rate? We know of two worlds, one created by the Lords of chaos as their own special little playground cut off from the other Powers, and then we have the land and its habitable moons.
    I reckon Earth is the odd one here because the Lords of Chaos were allowed to do precisely as they pleased.

11. Andrew Lynas

52%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Actually it's a Scientific Theory due to the Effect of Speed and Motion has on Time.

12. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ahh you refer to part of the scientific guesswork of our times. One of the theories based on theories based on theories based on interpretations of what precisely is observed... Of course most of that stuff is probably at least partially true. Though i'll admit i'm losing respect for the scientific establishment when they come up with odd, but convenient shit to cover the holes in their theories such as dark matter or negative energy. Not a shred of evidence and yet it is treated as established fact instead of making the simple admission that at the moment we have no way to explain all we see.

By my understanding the flow of time would be fairly similar on different worlds, not the extreme difference we see between the Land and Earth. The earth's time passes several times faster than the Land's. I also do not see how the difference in distance to the center of the universe would cause a different flow of time on two different worlds moving at identical velocities.

13. Andrew Lynas

52%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Within the same Galaxy the time difference shouldn't be that great, but the difference between different Galaxies (especially those Far apart) would likely be Much greater.Also

Plus we have yet to see definitive proof that time on Earth moving faster is the main reason for the Time discrepancy and it isn't mostly down to the Chaos Lords, or perhaps the Chaos Seeds where actually moved backwards in time when they Transmigrated to The Land?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2020
  14. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Distance doesn't have an effect on the flow of time. Relative velocity is theorized to do so with some evidence for that interpretation.

15. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

21%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    33.5 fortnights, 469 days according to randy in book 7

16. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So does that mean that the life span of a human is less in the land. Seeing how a year in the Land is about 29% longer. I would think humans wouldn’t live to be as old in the Land as they do on Earth.

17. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Tier 1 humans can live up to around 250 years with the ideal combination of stats. Possibly longer if he or she hasn't managed to form a core to unlock a tier up and instead keeps leveling their tier 1 body. The imp was surprised that Richter had managed to form one.

18. ShoughtLoud

21%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    150 for tier 1 humans, 250 for some tier two classes

19. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Right my bad. I still don't think 150 is necesarily a hard cap, more that most humans will tier up instead of pouring stats down a drain that might only increase their lifespan by a few months. Eventually no one who hopes to outrun the reaper will stay tier 1.

20. ShoughtLoud

21%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    yeah, they probably have to be around 30-40 with the right distribution to max it out to 150. Doesn't mean they shouldn't abide the distribution if/ when they tier up as well though.