Unconquered Dungeons and unfinished quest

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Captain BlackJack, Aug 28, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 14 (Defender) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ricther has several unconquered Dungeons and unfinished quest.

The tefinium dungeons first level yielded a magic core. You would think that the second level would be harder and grant better treasure. What do you think Ricther might possibly find in the second level of the Tefinium tomb?

2. Dragon

Dragon Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think he will be called there for a power quest when the powers deem him ready as happened the first time. He will find more challenges designed to temper the new lord and his companions like the mindfuckery Sion faced. More treasures. Likely more undead, golems or other creatures that can exist for extreme lengths of time without needing too much food/sunlight. Creatures in stasis is also an option. Summons too now that I think about it.

Possibly part of it will be designed to teach the new mist lord about the past, national secrets and similar things as he goes deeper level by level.

There will likely also be more cores down there. The mist empire of old seemingly had enough of them that they could afford to invest them in relatively non-critical items such as the pillar. The ones on the surface are likely long gone for the most part, but whatever this dungeon is it has lain untouched through the ages. That means whatever cores were used during its construction should still be there ready to be looted.

3. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

I’m not so sure how none important things like the pillar of life were meant to be. The Tefinium tomb I see very similar to the pyramids of Egypt. Knowing that the tomb is not only a burial ground it was also a crossing point for the Tefinium. The pillar of life was likely built to repel evil dead creatures. If left in operation it could have prevented the Tomb from being infected with the evil dead. That would have meant a lot to the Tefinium Queen.

I expect a higher level of evil dead. Ricther could possibly even face some sort of tier two monster or dead. It might be that Ricther finds higher level metals and items made from those metals. He could possibly come across a schematic for a mechanical construct.

That is if he ever returns to the dungeon tomb.

4. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay I could see the pillar being there for religious reasons. That makes a lot of sense given that the other core was in an alter.

Two things I believe would be true for most nations.

1) The potential of core production buildings is just too great to invest in singular defences, powerful war machines or prestige projects if you only have a few cores to invest. My choice would always be some form of production boon, unless there is an urgent need that can be solved, such as bringing water to the desert.

2) If a country had a couple dozen cores on the other hand, investing a few into a royal tomb and trial grounds for future rulers would be one way to impress your own people and neighboring nations. In addition to creating the perception that you are a powerhouse that its a bad idea to mess with, as most of your neighbors have one or two cores at the most.

Richter was called there by the powers when he was ready - barely - for the first level. I don't think he should return before he is called again.

5. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

RELIGIOUS reasons???????

So safe guarding your tomb from a evil body pilfering dead/living dead such as the crypt mistress is a religious reason?

6. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Either religious or spiritual beliefs of some kind would seem the obvious answer for building the tomb in the first place, I don't think it was built to be a transition point to another world.

7. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    When Viking Kings died did they prepare them for a departure to another place? If the weren’t why wouldn’t the family keep the weapons and armor. Why would they need gold and silver to be placed in their grave?

I see it as the Egyptian tomb. They placed food, gold, weapons, boats, animals, and some live stock inside their tombs. Surely they weren’t planing on using it here in this world. This worlds journey had ended for them. I think the common belief is that everything inside those types of graves were placed there to help with their next journey as they crossed over.

8. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Viking kings and rich men were often burried in tombs, surrounded by various riches and weapons. They then built a hill on top.
    They did it to honor the dead and because they believed it would benefit them in the next life. That's a spiritual belief right there.

I agree on the egyptians burrying their dead surrounded by food, lifestocks, slaves (live ones if I remember it right), weapons and gold. All things their religious and spiritual beliefs dictated could be taken into the next life.

The egyptians went as far as building the pyramids as a place to inter their pharohs after death. It was insanely expensive, but it also brought an enourmous amount of prestige to old egypt. It was an unimaginable show of wealth and power that must have scared their enemies shitless. The wealth they spent on building, could just as easily have been used to field vast armies (for the time) that few would have been able to resist.

Its the kind of show of wealth and power Richter needs to convince his neighbors that being for him or at worst neutral is the only sane choice.

9. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So it seems we are running in circles here. My point was that the Pillar Of life was likely used to prevent dead creatures from disturbing the Tomb. That isn’t in itself a religious purpose. A tomb could have some religious significance but they are usually built to preserve the dead as you said at a significant cost. Tombs are also built to hold the goods for the dead that are believed to be crossing over to another world. That was what happened in the Tomb they crossed over. That was my point.

Anyway having a second level to that location should offer more relics from their time period. Hopefully some schematics. They might find some technical advancements for the forge. Or they could find some other schematics and higher metals like mithrial.

10. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 8 (Thug) Exiles Citizen

98%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What do you think the odds are on things that would improve upon or use what was found on level one, like Core Tokens, Golems awaiting a Core, Elementium magical weapon schematics, etc?

Also, isn't there an ancient dungeon in the second level of the iron mine?

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  11. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We don't know what's on the second level of the iron mine. Richter has never explored the first level, instead that task was left to others. He still got exp for it though. I would allow the mist army to explore it and attempt to conquer it on their own. They need the experience of actual danger, not the controlled danger of the Dungeon, but to experience the very real - if low - chance that something unbeatable might attack.

12. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Golems awaiting a core sounds unlikely. Golems with a core on the other hand wouldn't be that strange. It would definitely be dangerous though, if the guardian of the ruins turned out to be an ancient core golem that has spent millenia fighting any and all intruders.

Weapon schematics would make sense, but they would need to be inscribed on something. More elementum would also make sense. Core tokens aren't really physical and I think they would already have been used, unless they are fairly common or limited somehow.

13. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    In the Tomb I would expect another repository of higher power. With the Tefiniums feelings towards metals I would expect some higher level metals or metal items. Maybe They will find a schematic for the forge itself. Or perhaps a schematic for some other item or construct.

I don’t think Ricther will find any core structures to destroy. In order to earn another core token he would need to find a core structure week enough he can destroy it. Unless the Ogres have some type of very weak core structure I’m not sure they will.

The second level of the mine had the crying or laughing voice in it. That had scared the miners and I think Ricthers guards have cleared it out.

The oldest dungeon yet was the one that had the bad smell and looked like a hole in the ground. Ricther could possibly find some more interesting items at the Skeleton mages Dungeon. Wasn’t there a door or stairs in the back of it?

14. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds like a job for Skeleton War party to me! Who would you send with them? Beyan, Flint, Terrod, and maybe a sprite with the war party skill?

Beyan and Flint would be there to control the skeletons. They might need to make it three squads. That way they could have more bones. They really do need to work at leveling at least three war parties. Those being left and right flank with a heavier center force. Perhaps a rear guard as well. That would work in developing larger units with more leaders.

15. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I would send the regular unenhanced forces, a military expedition under Terrod's leadership from which they can learn, their first real expedition and the first time many will be bloodied against intelligent foes. I would also send in the village Meidons and their pixies to scout the mine. We have no idea how many enemies are down there, but judging from what we were told they destroyed some sort of camp last time. No such thing as overkill when you have no idea of enemy numbers or capabilities. I have no doubt there will be wounded and loses, but an untried army is a weak army. They need the experience of war to become warriors.

Depending on just what they face I might split the mist forces into large war parties that can more easily traverse the narrow tunnels of the mine, with at least two healers in each war party and maybe a dozen fighters backed up by meidons and pixies.

Alternatively I might also elect to keep the force together in order to strike with overwhelming strength. It really depends on what exactly is down there. With no info its impossible to make a plan.

If I did sent the skeletons, I would send a large number of sprites under Sion's leadership with them to back them up with charged arrows. Even if a few skeletons are destroyed by sprite arrows, the skeletons are expendable.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  16. Dragon

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's the camp they cleared out. It was full of chitterlings or something like that. Its one reason I believe sending a small army is the right answer. No telling how many of those things could suddenly swarm forth from all directions.

17. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It would be a big score if Ricther found the remains of a mechanical guardian. Perhaps all the gears and sprockets pilled In The corner. It lay where it had been defeated by the crypt mistress or her allies defiling the tomb. Once defeated it’s power source was removed.

I hope they find something higher then elementum. Mythril would be great as Krom could rant about him not finishing the dungeon and building the forge from elementum instead of the mythril.

“You mean you left a dungeon completely unexplored? A dungeon where you found some of the greatest metals and jewelry anyone has ever found in the Land. Is this the same Dungeon where you found one of those magic cores? Aand you didn’t think the second level would have a better metal for making the forge?”

18. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:

A mine full of CHITTERLINGS!

Drag!

You just solved the MV’s greatest dilemma.

So

How

Do you

Eat your Chitterlings?

Fried Chitterlings (Chitlins) Recipe - Food.com

I guess if they fell in mine of chitterlings they could always eat their way out!

19. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

82%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think that it was Gibberlings, I think.

Click Here > Gibberling

Last edited: Sep 8, 2020
    Captain BlackJack likes this.
  20. Captain BlackJack

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Gibberlings were small, nocturnal humanoidcreatures that inhabited many regions in Faerûn, but were known to come from the Underdark.[5] Their species originated in the Far Realm, a place of madness beyond the known planes.

This is from ForgottenRealms.fandom.com

Now I could get behind that.

Gibberlings would be a lot worse then having to eat my way out of giant chitterlings.