Underground factions - book 9

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Dragon, Feb 8, 2020.

1. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I agree about the Kobolds. I also believe that at least one cast of Kobolds had tried to kill off the Great Khans. The cast that tried to overthrow the great Khans are likely to fight against Ricther and the other cast.

2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Shouldn't, though it might cause stress due to the slow communication travel distance. Solvable with portals, but that's an expensive solution.

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Castes in this context likely means social layer rather than a group. So possibly a faction within a kobold caste, likely within their administrative or military leader castes.

My gut feeling is outside interference of some sort deliberately set off the civil war, because the kobolds were getting too big, too successfull, too likely to start pulling the rest of the river peninsula out of the mud. Something that may be stoking the fires of the interclan conflicts even now. Though given that the kobolds seem to be bred for various positions, its possible the kobolds are just plain crippled without their khan caste to make the decisions and set policy.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  4. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Interesting theory and likely correct. The Light Court already interfered with introducing the disease that killed off the Pixie's...well just about did. I cannot see them having any issue with messing up the Kobolds success. Heck they did not like the gods having influence so they banished them. Taking power from a single race is nothing compared to that.

5. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    No doubt that agitators instigated the war between the clans/castes. Jealousies are a problem among all people. I have said all along that there are members manipulating everyone in the Land. Like the King of Yves being influenced by the Count. I believe the dark court has been behind most of it. As I said on the other post. They want to break the land as it is the lock of their incarceration. There is no doubt in my mind that the alliance and Yves are both being manipulated.

My guess all along has been one or two of the Kobold caste worked together to oust the Khans. The caste that suffers the most today are most likely the caste that didn’t push for the Khans removal. Those are the Kobolds Ricther should try to organize first.

6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I just don't think castes would organize at that level across clans? Who knows.

I agree this could be the courts. It could also be mere mortal foes such as drow or duergar that saw the growing might of the underground empire as a dire threat and took steps to undermine them. They certainly had motive, more than I think the courts had as even at its greatest height, the kobold empire was only big within the river peninsula. A minor empire by Land standards and hardly a threat to the courts or their plans.

Unless they were cleared out to protect the secrets of the lich and his master? I wouldn't be surprised to learn that giant statue was a small piece of some kind of magical network that holds the gods from entering the land. Not enough to do much, but maybe enough to allow the slightest of communication channels to the gods in the nearby region as well as a few miracles at a greatly increased cost in faithpoints? Even that would be a major defeat for the courts, and it could allow Richter to get the whole faith point mechanic into play. It would also mean that suddenly, Richter is knee deep in exile worshipers.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
    Captain BlackJack likes this.
  7. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    None of that is a big matter for the courts. The courts and all the Exiles operate through other proxies. As mentioned on the previous site. The Courts and Exiles are puppet masters. Their minions do their bidding knowingly and probably unknowingly. The Lich, the Count, the leading members of the alliance are all likely working under their orders. The Drow and the Duergar we have only heard of in the Land. When they do have their day in the series I have little doubt what side the will be on.

I could see in the Land how many a people could become pawns in someone else’s game. Ricther was more then lucky to met the Hearth Mother.

8. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We have met one Drow, in Bk2.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  9. Captain BlackJack

24%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Really, I sure didn’t remember it.

Yeah, during the fight?
    But we haven’t seen any since.

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    True. I think that's a bit of a cameo for someone who will be very important in later storylines. She seems to be one of the biggest of HM's foes, which means she is a major threat. So far the only enemy that could have faced her in combat would be the lich, otherwise she has had free reign to strike with impunity. I have little doubt she would have mopped the floor with the ghast.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  11. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The Drow was Modara....so we know the Drow are involved with the Basilisk Alliance. Also I believe it was Yoshi that said "You all know what that bitch (took from or did to) the Hearth Mother". Modara also has a powerful staff that they comment on.

Also Hearth Mother could not beat the Mauler. Though had that been at her POP I believe she might have prevailed.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
    Andrew Lynas likes this.
  12. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Richter couldn't beat the Mauler either. Its hard to gauge HM's powerlevel. I have a feeling she is grossly undergeared for her personal and skill level. In book 6 we learned she had been hoarding a potion that boosted her max mana for many years. That implies the sprites are unable to create potions fit for someone at her level, which curtails her power.

To show it, lets say you have 7000-8000 mana and most of the spells you have in your spell slots ( basically you can only have so many spells ready for casting, the rest are in your grimoire) cost 800-1000 mana. A potion that recovers 500 mana over 30 seconds with a 60 second cooldown means you can cast once every 2 minutes, not accounting for your own mana regen. Alternatively, you fill your spell slots with lowerranking, lowcost spells with much more limited effects. You can keep going longer, but you are far from your true potential.

The same could well be true for gear. Sure the sprites have good stuff for low-levels, but what about for those with greater potential? I imagine they fall short.

Now imagine if HM was wielding an elementum staff designed to give a relative boost, say +100% to spell strength and duration. With a robe like the Lich's. Add to that mana potions allowing her to keep throwing around highlevel spells. I think the Mauler would have been toast.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  13. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I completely agree HM is no where near geared enough for such an important Ally. Now with that said why isn't she? The Sprites geared Richter pretty well and Yoshi has some nice swords. Now do I think Richter/MV could do better for her...yes. Could be crucial in the battles yet to come with the BA.

14. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    They might not have crafters making those items though. Richter's free gear seemed to be summoned as much as made, and the upgraded version is what she was giving her own son. I imagine that's probably as good as it gets, which in the grand scheme, isn't that great. It's good, but professionals like Yoshi and the HM could do so much more with better gear. As for yoshi's sword there's no way to tell if it was actually made by the sprites or found and appropriated. Given that they normally kill everything that wanders into their territory it's not unlikely that they've ambush killed a few high geared people before.

15. Hastur

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah they likely were looted and since Yoshi is essentially the Sprites general he gets the best picks of weapons. And let's face it now that Richter is getting tier 2 enchants and access to better metals there is not much doubt the FOH can produce better for them. Recall the trade between MV/HT for the swords with what was it life damage? Decent but not great. If they want those it says a lot. Also the multi enchant arrows that can penetrate the according shields. The BA has not seen those in action...as they were first used in the Lich battle. Imagine an army of a couple hundred sprite archers with those. Making an Elementum staff for HM is a great idea but that does not seem to be a path that Krom or Richter has gone down yet. I believe its possible. Also what about staff's for Quasea, Zarr, Sumiko, and Beyan? And of course for all the MV casters.

16. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I could see specialized elementum staves being a reward or more likely a symbol for the highest ranking mages in each magic type. It could be their version of the True Silver weapons for the elite fighters. HMs staff could be a combo for her PoP powers once richter gets some real enchantments and ups dual enchant to triple.

Dragon likes this.
  17. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That opens up an interesting question as to who precisely would survive wandering into the lands of the HT. I have a feeling other sprites would survive the experience. Kindir and other good forest aligned races like most elves too because they simply aren't a threat.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that when it was said trespassers were killed, the implication was that human scum would be slain on sight within sprite lands. Even with that, if you read what the sprites are actually planning, they mean to trap Richter for interrogation.

A critical storyline in the early books is Sion's justified hatred of humans after the poachers fed his best friend and bloodbrother to a monster, for what amounted to a minor setback for their business, and tried to do the same to Sion only to get slain by sprite forces intervening at the last moment. Probably were nearby for a while, waiting for reinforcements.

I think the boys were well within sprite lands, which means human poachers came onto HM's lands, stole her animals and tried to feed her boy (a mere child) to a monster. I would be inclined towards instituting a "kill humans on sight" policy too following those crimes, especially if nearly all human trespassers are poachers anyway. They have no right to trespass on sprite property and if they get murderous about it, well time to get murderous right back.

Its also a fact that once HM had talked to Richter she recognized that he wasn't deliberately tresspassing. Not as much as a hair on his head got hurt, other than by Sion who must take on responsibility for his own actions.