Underground farming - fiction vs reality

Discussion in 'Not The Land' started by Dragon, May 16, 2021.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Seems this site is going silent with expectation of news from Aleron. So as a distraction i'd like to talk underground farming in fantasy. Also, i'm trying to work out the kinks in my own system. Planning out various elements.

For a bit of a real world look into underground farming

Valoya Enables Plant Growth in Europe’s Deepest Mine

The Benefits and Challenges of Underground Farming

So as one can surmise underground farming is currently less resource intensive than traditional farming, and leads to less polutants entering the environment. It is also, much like vertical farming, captital and energy intensive. Being a heretic to both the conservatives that think this is a waste of time and the various new age nutjobs on the left, I think combining this new way of farming with nuclear power generation is the way of the future. Cheaper, greener and irradiated, what's not to like. Greenforges would likely also be useful for say a moon colony and other boring stuff like that.

In fantasy you can do most of the same things to produce food, but without the need for expensive LED lighths sucking up energy. Richter for example, can cast a mist light that lasts a year and lightens up a fairly large area. Rows of those in underground tunnels could provide the light for farming alcoves running along the sides.

Mister Bill likes this.
  2. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Conservatives are very often conservationists and are fine with less pollution, although your model would likely leak things directly into the ground water. Not great. They’re also more than fine with nuclear power as opposed to other groups in the US.

I like the idea of vertical farming in an outer space colony or possibly below ground for when the ants take over the surface.

3. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Vertical farming is already happening. Its cheaper than transporting food long distance and the plants clean the air from many pollutants that plague cities.

Green forges are inevitable in my opinion, as much of the infrastructure already exists in the form of old mines. They won't be any more of an issue to the environment than traditional farming. Considering the plants are growing in a controlled environment where there are no pests or weeds, they should pollute far less.