Updates from Geneva

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Mister Bill, Apr 2, 2022.

1. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think you are underestimating your fellow humans here. There are 2 things that are truly limitless. Stupidity and selfishness.

AndyJ and Belgared like this.
  2. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean, there’s a whole discussion as to hospital staffing during covid times. Also, do we know what kind of doctor he is?
    But, yeah. Books out faster would help a ton.

Drasius likes this.
  3. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Was under the impression he was a general practitioner. To be honest for whatever reason I didn’t think he was out of that super long training phase the med dramas make such a huge deal of. Though I was probably wrong about that.

Mister Bill likes this.
  4. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m more upset that he gave a deadline and missed it, and then missed the next and the next and the next. If he said, because of personal factors, or whatever, the book is going to take four years to come out— I’m taking a break— fine, I’m not complaining. I’ll just wait and put it out of my mind. But he didn’t do that, he kept saying we are months away causing me to reread and check the discord and this site and continue thinking about the books instead of forgetting about it for a while. It makes it so much more frustrating. And this frustration I think is what looses readers: constantly being disappointed in expectations. Compare to Ruthfuss, for example: he has taken a decade and it may take another but at no point did he say the book would be out quick. And sometimes he gives updates about raising young kids and depression and I’m ok waiting as he works his shit out. No pressure from me, it will be finished eventually. But another example is GRRM who said Winds will come out soon, and everyone expected soon, and then before the show ended, and then when the show ended… it’s been just as long but far more stressful waiting for his books. As it is with book 9 The Land.

Mister Bill, Drasius, AndyJ and 2 others like this.
  5. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Its been 20 months since he has released anything at all, and over 2 1/2 years since book 8 came out. For me, I would just like to know if he actually is planning on finishing book 9. Don't want another grrm situation cause we all know how that one is going to end.

Mister Bill and Drasius like this.
  6. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    He is, according to Geneva. She’s active on Facebook and fairly responsive on discord. He said he’s been writing a lot on 3 books as the mood hits him (mood for the book, that is), but particularly book 9 and new series #1. I think book 9 could be out by December but we won’t know until chapters drop on patreon, which hasn’t happened yet. That’ll be our sign that it’s actually close instead of deadlines given.
    And, yeah, I’m frustrated by missed deadlines, too. I was hoping to get one of the new books, for sure, in any of his series. Now it’ll definitely be next year IMO before god’s eye 2 is out.

Joe Schmoe likes this.
  7. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Someone just asked on the server which book is furthest along…and Geneva responded with a zipping the lips gif. Huh.

8. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sooo, nothing? Feels like one of those non-answers.

9. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For now it’s nothing, yeah. Maybe we’ll be surprised and a chapter will pop up on patreon soon.

10. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How can she say which book when none have gone past the title?
    That's the only thing we have any evidence for, anything else is baseless speculation.

11. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh, she works with Aleron. She just updated that she does actually have an NDA but can say Book 9 will be the first released. All of a sudden they’ve decided not to give out goal dates for releases any more, as well. We live in confusing times, amigo.

Drasius likes this.
  12. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don’t buy into the hype. Geneva is not only on the payroll of Dr Aleron but she is a friend and confidant of his. Geneva, I believe is there to help Aleron with his “FAN CLUB”. She helps monitor his sites. When milking your fans by making them “Paytrons” for small Morsels of content someone needs to keep them happy. What better then a pretty face to deal with it. It’s always good to remember the bartender doesn’t smile and joke with you because she likes you. It’s the tip money she wants at the end of your interaction.

13. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You know you can ‘check’ his patreon page with out paying a dime right? You just can’t read the actual anorexic content.

14. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That’s right you got to pay to play. Yet prior when he released paragraphs people did talk openly about them and everyone has been dead silent for a long time now.

15. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What I meant was that you can find out if he has posted anything very easily and for free, on patreon. You just can’t read it.

16. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You can check the page right now for free. The titles are visible but the content is behind a paywall. So you can see that he hasn’t put any chapters up for folks to read early. Once he does then we’ll know the book should be out in a month or two.

I once was a patron of his but quickly realized that it was nowhere near worth the money, especially as I could buy the upcoming book outright for less than it’d cost for one month of decent access. And he’ll go many, many months with zero content for his patrons. Plus recently he did have content but it was that cartoon he started and which AFAIK has recently stopped.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  17. darkenedstar

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    A was also a patron from a grand total of 3 months. I would start as soon as the first new pre-release hit and not renew till the next the books prerelease. I stopped when he hiked the cost. 3 to 5 bucks is imo tolerable, If he is producing, 10 bucks isn’t.

18. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, that’s typically my view. I’ve been the patron for a few different authors but if nothing is forthcoming…hard to stay a patron.

Drasius likes this.
  19. PokemonThug

PokemonThug Level 17 (Theurgist) Roleplaying Exiles Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    [​IMG]

20. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Another update. TL;DR No news on the book. Update as follows:

August 2022: Aleron has been exploring and getting great inspiration from nature! I know it's not book 9, but the man is getting some much-needed fresh air and adventure No new updates on the dates for now.

Upcoming Events Aleron will be attending:

Sept. 1-5 DragonCon in Atlanta, GA - appearance schedule to be announced when available.

Sept 1: He will be attending the event at Medieval Times on Thursday the 1st - if you would like to be seated in the same section, please send me a message.

October 21-26 LitCON (Online Event) - schedule to be announced when available. More info at LitCON.net

FAQ's

Who are you and why should I trust your updates?

I'm Aleron's assistant, I've worked with him for the last 5 years, and I have loved every minute of it! I am also a big fan of the books, especially the audiobooks, because... Nick Podehl. I will share any information that is ok to go public as soon as I can

Where is book 9?

Aleron is no longer providing his goal dates, when the book is ready to go to Amazon, we will share it all over! Aleron is currently working on: The Land: Mayhem, God's Eye 2, and Project 3.

Why hasn't Aleron done a Facebook live recently?

Aleron has been writing and enjoying the great outdoors. You can occasionally see a live greeting from him in his Facebook stories.

Is he too focused on other projects to write?

Nope! That's why I'm here! Most of the other projects, merchandise, etc, are all things I help him with, so outside of the occasional report on how things are going from me, he's fully focused on writing.

Will Patreon supporters get to see things first?

Yes, as with past books, Aleron will always share the chapters and art early on Patreon.

If you have questions (that I'm able to answer) please feel free to leave them in the comments, I'm happy to answer what I can!