Ursula K. Le Guin, Acclaimed for Her Fantasy Fiction, Is Dead at 88

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books' started by Paul Bellow, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ursula K. Le Guin, the immensely popular author who brought literary depth and a tough-minded feminist sensibility to science fiction and fantasy with books like “The Left Hand of Darkness” and the Earthsea series, died on Monday at her home in Portland, Ore. She was 88.

Her son, Theo Downes-Le Guin, confirmed the death. He did not specify a cause but said she had been in poor health for several months.

Ms. Le Guin embraced the standard themes of her chosen genres: sorcery and dragons, spaceships and planetary conflict. But even when her protagonists are male, they avoid the macho posturing of so many science fiction and fantasy heroes. The conflicts they face are typically rooted in a clash of cultures and resolved more by conciliation and self-sacrifice than by swordplay or space battles.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/...ed-for-her-fantasy-fiction-is-dead-at-88.html

24LEGUIN-01p-master768-v3.jpg

Readsalot and Alexis Keane like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  3. Tom Gallier

Tom Gallier Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

19%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    RIP

I saw this earlier. Very sad. We've lost a legend.

Readsalot and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    RIP

I grew up on the Earthsea Quartet, must have read it at least 8 times. Sad to see one of the greats pass away.

CheshirePhoenix and Readsalot like this.
  5. FrustratedEgo

FrustratedEgo Level 11 (Thief) LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

52%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have a signed copy of the fist book somewhere. She, I'm fairly sure, visited my school during the 5th grade almost 30 years ago. I want to say it was her anyway. I remember asking how she writes like she does, and the response was something along the lines of "imagine if it's happening to you. If you're under a rock, what dos I feel like. s it heavy, can you breathe" and so on.

I dunno, that's the story I tell myself - but it was so any years ago I can't be sure anymore. Certainly spent a lot of time invested in the first two Earthsea books. Reread em dozens of times.

6. Windfall

Windfall Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    :(

RIP

Loved the Earthsea trilogy -- especially the language, and especially the second book, which really made me feel as if I was really creeping around in a dark tomb. The magic was fresh and breath-taking, and the dragons were alien and awesome.

7. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Earthsea is one of the series that helped spark my love of the fantasy genre. I never knew her, but I’ll miss her anyway.

Alexis Keane and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/wjp3eq/ursula-k-le-guin-obituary