Vault of Holding

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Dragon, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So we've talked a bunch about them stacking up bags of holding, but there is perhaps a more intuitive way. Could they build a vault of holding, many times larger on the inside than it is on the outside, where food and other supplies are kept in stasis?

Who would such a thing be built? Underneath a fortress? In areas with frequent starvation? By forge masters such as the dwarves wishing to keep their gear in pristine condition for when it is needed (armory of holding)?

Would this be some form of macroenchantment?

Edit:
    For those of you with such deviant interests, I think the bible comes with a pretty good usecase, namely the seven years of plenty followed by the seven years of starvation. Long story short, to counter the risk they stored grain in great vaults for the bad years to come.

A good king could view a vault of holding as a similar insurance. If bad times come, there is something to fall back on, a way to feed the population even if the harvest fails completely.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  2. S'ahelas

S'ahelas Level 9 (Burgler) Exiles Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is a cool idea, and it would be very useful not just to prevent animals and rot getting into food, but also as a way to transport goods, hold out against a siege, etc. However, from the limited information we have on bags of holding, there has to be a magically active or magical substance creating the bag or item of holding, and the size of this item is related to how many slots there is. Talents can expand the number of slots and decrease the weight. But a vault of holding, capable of holding a silo of grain or a year supply of food for a village, would be limited by these same constraints. Namely, there would have to be a very large amount of this rare and expensive magical material available to craft. The mist village certainly can not produce or afford this type of technology at this time. I have a hunch that Yves can’t either (although we don’t know much about the technology level of this nation). But I bet this does or has existed in the past, in addition to many other awesome technologies limited to the most powerful empires in history.

3. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One way of getting around that might be to make the Holding Item Limited to being able to Hold Large Amounts of only a Few Types of Items, say only able to Hold Grain or Tier One Ores or Water?

Dragon likes this.
  4. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Its also not a portable item so it might be possible to use lesser materials for the same effect?

My main thought was that this would be useful for lords that wish to

1) Have plenty in storage in case of war.
    2) Have plenty in storage in case of failed harvests.

I imagine this would be popular with defensive minded races such as dwarves as it would allow them to shut their gates and sit back to wait almost indefinitely. While the initial expense would be huge, over the course of centuries it would pay off and its not like they lack wealth or craftsment. Plus if the gobbos do lay siege to their mountain with thrice the number of dwarves inside, being able to wait for their supplies to run low would be invaluable. It would force the goblins to attack prepared dwarven defenses head on or go home.

Alternatively a storage shed could have the effect of increasing the lifespan of foodstuffs with higher-levelled versions adding months or years.

5. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Would a Prison of Holding be possible to keep prisoners without the need to give them food or water?

6. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds inhuman and unethical.

Tell us more?

Last edited: Oct 27, 2021
    Mister Bill likes this.
  7. AndyJ

AndyJ Level 12 (Rogue) Exiles Citizen

49%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    MuaHaHaHa
    I envisioned it like a massive stasis room where the prisoners are immobile BUT fully conscious. That way they will feel the passage of time and hear Richter practice his Sion insults on them. Also, they can be used to taste test the village Cook's more experimental recipes (I assume everyone remembers the special soup he made in book 7)

8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There are certainly criminals I feel deserve such a punishment. Fortunately I am not in a position to do something about it.

For the most part, a work and education camp would suffice I think. And no, I do not mean reeducation or brainwashing, I mean they work a set number of hours per day and in lieu of payment receive food and basic schooling that will make them able to function in a normal society. Those with extraordinary talents for thievery and other clandestine activities can be funnelled into Randy's hands to be trained as saboteurs and spies.

9. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Ricther should design a double floor wagon. The first floor should be created for one of two purposes. For one it could be lined with a giant bag of holding. Being surrounded by a shallow wooden box it would have some extra protection. Or the floor itself should be made into a trunk of holding. That way the second wagon floor would not only work as a lid granting some protection but it would work as another functional floor. A wagon of holding would definitely make a superior wagon for trade and smuggling. Barrels of holding would work as well. In fact I am advocating for some barrels of holding for storage in the mist village. A large catapult hurling empty barrels of holding would be an awesome weapon used against enemy ranks or fortifications.

One barrel of holding smashed against an enemies wall should breach most walls. Just consider the dangers of a bag of holding rupturing but on a larger scale.

10. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wouldn't that barrel need to be made of very durable materials though, to be able to contain the magic?
    I'm not sure why it would break the walls either.

Supply wagons of holding has to be a thing. I don't think it will be a bag of holding thing either.

According to the text bags of holding and expansive quivers are a rank 1 thing. Should have greater freedom at higher ranks.

11. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pouches of Holding and Expansive Shivers are Rank One, Bags of Holding are a higher Rank then that.

Captain BlackJack likes this.
  12. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well according to the rules in D&D if an item of holding was to rupture. Everything within a specific radius would get violently torn, sucked, or blown through to the astral plane. Basically it forms an astral gate of a specific size and radius in direct relation to the item of holding. The bigger the bag of holding the larger the astral gate. Everything trapped in the astral gap disappears from its plane of existence and is discharged into the astral plane.

I don’t see Ricther having any problem imbuing wood after all they have multiple people that know how. The ship builder knows a technique as does Bartle and Bee.

I still believe it would be wise of Ricther to plant a diversified tree farm in the Dungeon.

13. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I've seen alternative Rules that allowed for the DM to choose to have the Items in the Bag to Fountain Out of the Rip or for the Items to be Randomly Scatter Teleport a distance from the Bag (usually about 10 Metres to up to 10 Kilometres deep don't on the size of Bag, Damage & Luck), or to have an Damaging Explosion centred around the Bag with the Items as Projectiles and with a chance of the Items being randomly damaged or destroyed by it.