REVIEW Viridian Gate

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Jason, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Viridian Gate by J.A. Hunter

While I normally do a review as I read each individual book, this series thus far doesn't warrant it because I can sum it all up rather quickly.

Ok.. just finished 3 of the published books in this series. I think I only read maybe about 30% of any single book. The whole thing was... good.. but not great. It was very vanilla for me and lacked any real creativity. Pick any 3 books from recomendations of the LitRPG authors that he has a review from and it's all the same. I get it these guys are sticking together and pushing each others works and being supportive, but this is another of these folks little clique that just did not warrant the praise. I'm skeptical where any of these folks reviews are on a book. I've read a few of their works, but they all just feel like copies of copies. Some of which I likes, but had my reading order changed, they could possibly be getting this same review.

I literally just scanned through and went to the boss fights and was able to follow the story. All the stiluff in between was a grind. The Character development lacked any imagination, oh.. he gets his own city to develop... like every other of those 3 I mentioned above... he has a familiar (this is unique as it doubles as a battle mount)... Basically the book is kinda slow. You get 1 main quest... maybe a couple side quests pertaining to the main, and they are pretty mundane. There characters were bland. While they had some backstory, it is only to identify them as NPC or Players, no real depth at all.

On the plus side, it doesn't get too technical with an overabundance of crafting skills, or with skills in general. The Game system is very very basic for something created to keep these people the rest of their days after the apocalypse.

In the end, I didn't hate it, but the author didn't give me a reason to really look forward to any additions to the story. $4.99 a piece.. I feel the author owes me $4.00

Paul Bellow and Felicity Weiss like this.
  2. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I read the first book, but my interest fell short and I didn't go back to the series. I recognize the author is a good writer, but there were too many other shinies I ended up chasing after.

Jason likes this.
  3. Jason

Jason Troll Lord Roleplaying Shop Owner Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I trudged through it, hoping it would get better and grab my attention. I know you have read some of my reviews where I went on tirades, only to perk up a few chapters later So, I gave this a fair chance I think. I read all 3 afterall... :zbang:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    Felicity Weiss likes this.
  4. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is funny, because I usually skim over battle scenes. Unless it's a boss fight as those should be good. For example, I really enjoyed the skeleton king and queen fight in Lion's Quest: Dual Wield. Prolly because it reminded me a lot of WoW :p

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I noticed Ramon is getting beat up in reviews for adding MORE OOC pop-culture references and what-not. Trying to emulate Kong? I dunno.

The next nine months, more authors will be jumping on the litrpg train, I think.

We shall see...

I try to be a bit unique in my battle scenes... speaking of which, I should be editing.

I'm sending someone a copy of Human this weekend!!!!

Apollos likes this.