VR world, minimal NPCs

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Magao, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Magao

Magao Level 2 (Initiate) Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Something I'd be quite interested in reading (and I haven't found anything like it) is having a VR world where at least in the starting areas there are almost no friendly NPCs for players to interact with, and no existing infrastructure (at least on launch day). Everything would have to be created by the players.

Possible setup (been used in many fantasy stories) - disaster on home world, the players are the masses of people coming through a gate. Nearly everyone is "normal" - there might be a few powerful people, but they're focused on group survival - the masses generally won't get to interact with them much.

Maybe part of character generation would include optional choice of a profession, and a number of skill points that can be assigned immediately (probably some dictated by the profession). Having a profession means you get some minimal equipment for that profession. Maybe can take some disadvantages in order to have higher skill levels.

Reaching a certain level in a skill allows you to be a trainer (but training requires actual time expenditure by both trainer and trainee - shouldn't be a quick process) and requires a suitable environment to train.

e.g. choose to be a smith - you arrive with minimal smithing tools (hammer, tongs - probably no anvil). Somehow you'd need to get enough materials to construct a basic anvil and forge before you can start doing anything (and raise skill levels). Maybe have to make deals with other players with some mining skills to supply ore, and lumberjacks to provide wood to turn into charcoal. You could choose to be a master smith (already high enough level to train others, better tools) but with the disadvantage that you gain skills points much slower.

Professions could also come with both bonuses and obligations e.g. choose to be a soldier, obligated to guard, patrol, etc as ordered (NPC ranking officers), but would open up more training options. Failure to meet obligations would result in penalties.

Skill discovery would presumably be a major part of the game, especially if coming from a mana-poor world (hence why no high-level mages made it through).

Of course, as native species are encountered options might open up depending on how the players choose to interact.

2. Life and Liberty

Life and Liberty Level 8 (Thug) Citizen Aspiring Writer

70%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I have something like that in a series that I've been planning for a few years now. One day I'll get around to writing it. Or writing anything at all for that matter.

3. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds like Star Wars Galaxies the first year.

4. LWFlouisa

LWFlouisa Roboto Artiste LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen

29%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    By this do you mean that everyone you interact with are other players? Or just that the world you're playing in is practically empty?

I don't use NPCs in the traditonal sense, as they have more of a degree of self-directed sentiance than in "LitRPGs" like Jumanji.

Ex. In a novel about Silent Hill or Resident Evil, in a game they would be NPC. In a novel about those characters, technically they would all be NPCs. Clearly NPC doesn't work in that context.

(And yes, there have been lots of Resident Evil novels.)