WIP Vulgar Display of Power (Lady Wukong vs. The World Book #1)

Discussion in 'Works in Progress' started by Yuli Ban, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Yuli Ban

Yuli Ban Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So what happened? It's mid November and still nothing on RoyalRoad!

That's due to an epiphany as I was writing the story. I decided to scrap the story I wrote and restart because I wanted the story to start off better than it has (and by that, I mean I transcribed the story to death, to the point the third draft of the first chapter was utterly unrecognizable from the first). It's going to be a wild ride. Half the stuff I said this story was going to be, I realized could be sexed up. No, not literally.

I figured I could have more fun with the story if I made the setting an over-the-top '80s/early-'90s world. I know I said I'd do that for The Electric Wizard, but remember that story is going to be more techno-primeval (sort of like Horizon: Zero Dawn).
    This had the unintended side-effect of making the story much more like Dragon Ball than I originally intended. What with the fantasy races, the jazzercise killers, neon spandex-wearing coke dealers, and an expy of Kowloon Walled City making an appearance. All this with kung fu and video game stats. And a countryside still stuck in the 1800s.

And this is almost a new official theme song, for obvious reasons

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  2. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay, FINALLY, I have an ETA for when the first bunch of chapters will go live on RoyalRoad:
    December 1st.

Once I decided to set the story in a parody of the '70s, '80s, and '90s alongside old school wuxia, a lot of stuff had to be rewritten extensively to the point it was a better option to just start over (as I previously mentioned).

Last edited: Dec 3, 2018
  3. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  4. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yikes! I didn't mean for that hiatus before the story even got going! I just got Xenoverse 2 and I've been obsessed with creating a Saiyaness waifu. So... much... grinding... So... much... farming.... So... much... RNG rage...
    Now that this is done, I'll be refocusing on the story. In fact, a new chapter is coming tonight and there will likely be at most one a day and at least three a week from now on. I figured I'd make them between 750 and 1,000 words each.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  5. David M Zahn

David M Zahn Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen Aspiring Writer

16%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Lol Xenoverse 2 takes forever and eats time like you wouldn't believe. Fun game though, just wish the combat went a little bit faster.

6. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    God, the RNG on that game is evil. It's worse on Xenoverse 1 since even the RNG has RNG, but it's still a damn problem in XV2. But I did it. I'm level 99. Min-maxed heavily on health, ki, and strike-supers. And now my monkey waifu is complete!

Now I can focus on my other monkey waifu. No, the other one, the one that's Sun Wukong.
    No, the other one that's Sun Wukong, like literally.

Huh, three monkey waifus... I wonder if this means something...

7. Gryphon

Gryphon Level 18 (Magician) LitRPG Author Citizen

43%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good things come in threes?

8. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Expect the third chapter tomorrow. Possibly even the fourth.

9. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Now up to chapter 4. The chapters will undoubtedly get updated and revised down the line, but it'll happen sooner if I can get feedback.

Likewise, expect the fifth chapter later today! Hopefully I can start doing 1 chapter every day for this week.

10. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Never promise anything on Christmas!
    I conked out as soon as I got home. That said, I still have the chapter ready. So I suppose I'll post two today!

11. Yuli Ban

18%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Blarg. So other things happened.
    I promise I'll bring out a chapter tomorrow (today?) and put an end to this infrequent updating. I mean my gosh, each chapter's only about 1,000 words. I can write it in about an hour. It's not that difficult!
    I'll also be picking up Rage of Angels this month now that I have a better idea of what I want to do with it.