WOOT We Have a Home Base on Goodreads!

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Felicity Weiss, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Daigon

Daigon Level 7 (Cutpurse) Beta Reader Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'll join from my kindle later. Might need to see about how to make a code name....

Felicity Weiss and Paul Bellow like this.
  2. Daigon

Daigon Level 7 (Cutpurse) Beta Reader Citizen

60%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
  3. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    "But honey, I want to make a good impression when I meet your parents for the first time. This costume is the best!"

lol

4. James G Patton

James G Patton Horrific Pun Master LitRPG Author Citizen

81%
    xp:
    Zone:
    CST
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good to know. I don't have a problem doing that either, was just curious if there was a promotional thing I did not know about haha.

5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Amazon has a giveaway feature, but you can also gift items. The problem (sometimes) is that people can cash in the gift code on Amazon for other purchases, so for giveaways and what-not they're not super-effective to build mailing lists. Kong is giving away coins in games this month to try to attract more gamers than freebie hunters, I think.

Readers do love the free, though! Maybe we should all pitch-in and do a big promotion like Bagwell, Kong, Corvin and others are doing with their signed print copies?

6. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I guess I would need to look into actually making print copies then.

Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, I'm behind on it because I want to re-edit book one before I put it out. It's on my todo list. If you have questions, let me know. It's not super-hard, just a PITA.

8. Matthew Siege

Matthew Siege Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Maybe a big Instafreebie bundle, or something? I know we'd have to line things up so the books were out of/not yet in KU or whatever, but it might be an option. Or everyone could write a short story (set in the world of a current release or not) and we could make a litRPG anthology...

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  9. Matthew Siege

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Speaking of print versions, is the new (to me at least) CLICK HERE TO MAKE A PAPERBACK button when you publish a book on Amazon the same thing as Createspace, now? Or are they two different beasts?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  10. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Two different companies at this time. From what I've heard, you get less options in KDP as compared to Createspace. The covers on the new KDP version are a bit wonky too? I'm still using Createspace until they shut it down.

11. Matthew Siege

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Okay. I wasn't aware they were shutting it down...

12. Eden Redd

Eden Redd Sexy Witch Monster (Queen of Sexy LitRPG ) LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen

65%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm willing to contribute to the cause. Maybe a gift code for Lewd Paladin because it is the most mainstream of my litrpg books. :)

Asakust and Felicity Weiss like this.
  13. Asakust

Asakust Level 9 (Burgler) Citizen Aspiring Writer

40%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    :D Hahaha. No issues with amazon redemption, got both books saved in my phone now. Just need the time to read them now. I was really surprised that it came with the sequel. (I rushed to remember my goodreads account expecting one book, but then you passed me two. Not complaining!) I was planning my budget next month to buy this book (and others) after listening to the the Podcast Author interview... so I'm really giddy to get them.

Thanks @DJ Schinhofen, my Sunday is already reserved for the book one.~

If it weren't for international shipping cost, and my lack of trust of my country's postal service (A few letters never reached me, according to a friend), I would love signed printed copies. :(

14. DJ Schinhofen

DJ Schinhofen Creator of Worlds. LitRPG Author Roleplaying Citizen Aspiring Writer

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I wrote a 50 page short, which is now up on my Patreon for a defunct analogy attempt by another well know LITRPG author. I'll skip doing that path again.
    Hope you enjoy them, as for my ramble with Ramon, as I like to think of it, I'm glad it caught your interest.

Asakust likes this.
  15. Matthew Siege

58%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Sounds like you got a short story out of it that you may not have otherwise, at least. :) We didn't burn you (I assume), don't hold that against us... (In all seriousness, I -very much- know the pain of writing to a specific market {with their specific idiosyncrasies} only to watch the damn market burn to the ground. I've had more than one story held hostage by an editor for MONTHS. Commiserations.)

Felicity Weiss likes this.
  16. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    @DJ Schinhofen

Use the short as a reader-magnet for your mailing list?

17. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Andrey, the author of the Fayroll series posted a giveaway for his book on the Goodreads group. I commented saying it was a good read and wished whoever won luck, then I realized that GOODREADS likes to put your rating at the top of each post for that book in the discussion. I had given it 4 stars, which is normal for me with a book I like and nothing to be ashamed of but I feel shame nonetheless because as we know, every author fancies themselves 5 stars. I sure hope he doesn't put out a Russian mafia hit on me. gulps. Mourn me.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2017
  18. DJ Schinhofen

21%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Void
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Mailing list? Sounds like dark magic to me sir.
    I put it up on my Patreon page it is the July reward.

19. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    THE MONEY IS IN THE LIST! ;)

Seriously, if I went back in time, that's the one thing I would tell myself. Build that mailing list sooner.

Patreon awards are good too, I guess.

20. Felicity Weiss

Felicity Weiss Musey Muse Muse Shop Owner Citizen

62%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Oregon
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Pfft, I don't write and even I know about the importance of a mailing list. I love to watch the SFF Marketing Vodcast over on YT, it is so very enlightening. Highly recommend, since you like vodcasts @DJ Schinhofen. I love those guys (and gal) and stalk, er follow them on Twitter as well.

Paul Bellow likes this.