What are you reading at the moment?

Discussion in 'Sci-Fi & Fantasy Books' started by Readsalot, Aug 24, 2017.

1. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Someone should invite Kate to the forum. Unless she's here?

Alexis Keane likes this.
  2. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh, that's a good idea! Her info is at the back of the book.

Paul Bellow and Alexis Keane like this.
  3. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Your post kinda got cut off mid

Alexis Keane likes this.
  4. CheshirePhoenix

CheshirePhoenix Crazy Hermit on the Hill LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Editor Aspiring Writer

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    And hey! I edited Trash Tier Dungeon! Only substantive (Kaye couldn’t afford the line edit, and we’ll update it later because publishing ebooks is a bit like publishing video games nowadays with the “release it now patch it later” thing going on) but I’m pretty damn proud of how well it’s doing so far. To date it’s been one of the more successful works I’ve substantively edited (and more to the point one of the few that’s actually made it out of the gate).

And Kaye is also thrilled with it, too! I’ll pass on the forum link.

5. Kidlike101

Kidlike101 Level 18 (Magician) Citizen

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Alexis Keane and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  6. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I recommend it, but I’m admittedly biased.

Alexis Keane likes this.
  7. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm trying to get through my back log. way too many of my favorite authors had releases the past two months and they just piled up on me ^^;

The primes sounds interesting though. I have a soft spot for the little guy trying to pull himself from the mud... or the trash as it might be LOL.

Also the Little guy falling to the mud from a skyscraper. I'm a fickle goddess.

8. Viergacht

Viergacht Thunderdragon LitRPG Author Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    We've been having a bad case of South African internet here :p

I was going to say:

This was an enjoyable entry into the dungeon core genre, mainly on the strength of the main characters and their interactions. Even the antagonist ends up with relatable motivation, so even though he's trying to destroy our leads you kind of feel bad for him. It's nice to see one that doesn't creepily sexualize the dungeon/sprite relationship, and in fact calls it out pretty damn hard (personally I don't feel like paying money to read some other random dude's wank fantasy). The plot itself is standard dungeon core, but I like the twist of the dungeon being reluctant about the whole traps and monsters thing, and both characters having a history before they get together that makes their working together rough. Since the relationship is the focus, it isn't very crunchy and they don't do a lot with monsters and traps (I assume that will come in a future book). My main crit is that the fight scenes can go on a bit long, and it seems out of character that Minette, the dungeon, would be so unaffected by the gruesome deaths of her cat monsters when she previously devoted all her energy to watching them because they were cute.

9. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So this is a story about the crazy cat lady down the street? SOLD!!!!!!!

I agree with the whole sprite fantasy thing, It's a little weird and after reading the divine dungeon I noticed that all the dungeon core books seemed to use that old couples thing as the base of the relationship =/

10. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, really . . . like in DD the sprite is always doing something "sexily" and I'm like . . . isn't it just a ball of featureless light?
    Dude. Put it back in your pants.

11. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I think it's a redundancy TBH.

His first book was under a pen name (slime dungeon) where the helper was literally an exhibition fairy.

Though looking back in that one she got sexuallized oddly too. starting off as gender neutral then developing huge boobs and sexy curves as she "grew up"

Because heaven forbids two GENDERLESS creatures are just friends.

Maybe it's just me, I just find the whole thing forced.

12. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The phoenix project : A novel about IT, DevOps, and helping your business win.

By

An IT server guy... three of them...

You know those PSA you had to watch in school where the plot, acting and production value is pretty flimsy and all to sugar coat a little lesson and shove it down your throat?

Now imagine instead of Sex, drugs or violence. They gave you one about being mean to the poor, helpless, angelic IT operation guy?

Then you have this book. The MC is a self insert called Bill. he was promoted to CIT suddenly to head project Phoenix and save the company...

Bill is portrayed as neutral and mature. however every single other person is a childish brat that is screaming in his face, hates him or makes his life harder. There is no reason for this as the project is two years late and he just got the job that very same day.

[​IMG]

Only the server guys are great, cooperative and welling to be helpful.

As another reviewer mentioned this is like a garbage man writing a book where everyone is trash except the garbage men!

It starts off alright but then around chapter 8 or 9 it just drops all pretense and goes full fantasy. A BusinessZen yoda like character shows up and becomes his spirit animal I think (the guy might have been a hallucination the way he was written). Typos everywhere. Grammar jumped out the window and the structure fell apart :-

I headed to my desk. I kept a bottle of advil on my desk. I started looking through drawers in my desk for the advil.

I got it. You have a headache. I GOT IT!

Also the solutions are apparently magic. No that's just it, everyone was against him starting with security in chapters 1-3, going to project development in chapters 3-4 and so on until you get to the CEO himself around chapter 10.

The suddenly they apparently read this magical book and with the spirit of friendship and cooperation got multiple outdated and incompatible operating systems integrated and all the backlog uploaded to the cloud with a user friendly single push of the button system... in two weeks.

You know... I was there during the dot.com bubble. It took just under two years for IT to get that mess sorted out. Then there were the training courses to get us used to the new system, growing pains and of course your late adapters seeing how over 40% of the staff were over 60 year old dinos!

But sure. Lets say it's the power of magic and yes it's not the CEO that'll get the praise. Not the public face of the company. It's the operation guy that'll get all the credit.

My brother pushed this on me over the weekend. Apparently his boss recommended it. I find that odd because there is something very unlikable about this book. The author really goes out of his way to turn everyone into a mustache twirling villain.. .except the Operation guys and the random secretory or office drone. they're amazing and how could anyone do without them.

13. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wow, you would REALLY hate the classic BOFH stories then, kidlike.

Kidlike101 and Alexis Keane like this.
  14. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    did your brother's boss write it?

15. Viergacht

94%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That sounds like the sort of story you write after a hard day at work.

16. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    This is BOFH, in case you kids never heard of it: http://bofh.bjash.com/

It’s well worth the read, especially because Simon Travaglia could put on a master class in snarky writing.

17. Alexis Keane

Alexis Keane Level 14 (Defender) Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

62%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    wtf started playing when i went on...

18. CheshirePhoenix

96%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Nothing auto plays on it on my end?

Alexis Keane likes this.
  19. Kidlike101

25%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Apparently he was raving about it in some business zen/help thingie they had so he went out and got it. I honestly just borrowed it because the cover looked fun... it wasn't, it really wasn't!

YES!!!!

it's also a confused one. Like the way he describes the project it's an internal operating system that streamlines the processes between different divisions in the company. The one software to rule them all!

Yet whenever he's talking to anyone outside operations it's like the project is their last ditch product. Something to sell and bring the investors and stockholders back ... which are two different things.

Why don't you love me :(
    Must I suffer?

Viergacht and CheshirePhoenix like this.
  20. KTHanna

KTHanna Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

57%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Right now I'm having a pretty hard time getting into any books. I'm quite certain it has nothing to do with the book, and more to do with the fact that I'm drafting my second book in the series and waiting on my editor to get book 1 back to me, which means my brain is always OMG MUST WRITE MUST WRITE... and reading seems to make me NOT write because I binge read...