What book 9 must have

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by bnaz, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There are several series that are substantially better. Dungeon Lord comes to mind. The wandering inn. God of gnomes.

2. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’ve tried all of those. I lost interest quickly in wandering inn (so boring), didn’t care for the wandering dungeon in dungeon lord, and liked god of gnomes but it wasn’t top tier IMO. I’ll still read every book in the series, though, haha.
    Plus the feel of those is still nowhere near like the Land. Just the stat boxes alone are way different IIRC.

PokemonThug likes this.
  3. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How far did you get into wandering inn? Its a grower, not a shower. It doesn't really get good before the second volume but then it starts getting more intricate with more and more characters making decisions and having their own reasoning. Its not a powerfantasy like most litrpg, its a complex world such as one might see in high fantasy settings. One where everyone from the lowly goblins to ancient elder dragons move to their own beat. One thing I really enjoy is that the system rewards living your class. A knight who isn't very knightly will stagnate, thereas a doffus who stands up against overwhelming odds for some foolish dogooder cause might well start counterlevelling.

God of gnomes is definitely not a top tier book for fantasy overall, but its one of the better core systems i've seen, with limitations that make every dungeon creature important. Scarcity is more interesting than plenty in my opinion and I love the underdog's underdog feel of the gnomes. They are helpless until Corey comes into their lives and put them on track. But then, miracle of miracles, they grow to the challenge. God has returned, God is good, but they are the ones who need to pull the load. Corey is just there for the hard parts, he doesn't even understand what they are saying. No god core understands his own wor shippers.

Those stories are not the land. They are not regurgitations of the same stories with slightly different names. They break new ground, they forge worlds that aren't just bland and generic. That's what I like.

The Land does the same. I enjoyed it and its quite possible that the reason I think its kinda mediocre at the moment is that the author is such a mess when it comes to releases and consistencies.

Belgared and Mister Bill like this.
  4. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I definitely dropped wandering inn in the first volume. I don’t feel like continuing something when it’s a drag. I read for fun, not when it’s a chore. 2nd volume until it’s good is kind of insane.

PokemonThug and Drasius like this.
  5. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I actually quite enjoy the wandering inn. Really the main thing that makes volume 1 unlikable to many is one specific character, Ryoka, at least that's how i see it.. In the other volumes she has a much reduced appearance. But I understand that everyone has different tastes.

Mister Bill likes this.
  6. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I followed the story for a while on royalroadl, at least I think it was that site. I lost interest during the messenger/war zone bit. Talking to fairies area? No idea how far in that was. Been awhile so no idea if I am remembering or confusing it with other stories I stopped reading at the time

Mister Bill likes this.
  7. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah, the site is now just royalroad.com and it still has a ton of free litrpg to read.

8. Belgared

Belgared Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

68%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The author pulled the story off of royalroad and its now only on her website, thewanderinginn.com.

Mister Bill likes this.
  9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Which is kinda odd. I would be spreading my net on as many sites as possible in the hopes of catching new fish, not limiting it. Pirateba could hire someone to manage it if they lack the time.

Drasius and Mister Bill like this.
  10. Mister Bill

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    She’s successful enough to do it. Most anyone else I would agree with you, for sure.

11. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah. Authors want attention, at least for their work. Its not necesarily about the money, a lot of authors love entertaining people and this is the way they do it.

Drasius and Mister Bill like this.