What can a scientist in my Star Wars RPG be working on?

Discussion in 'The Tavern' started by Maximum7, Mar 4, 2019.

1. Maximum7

Maximum7 Level 6 (Footpad) Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    My scientist works for the Empire and is working in a top secret lab. What could I have him working on?I just need a prompt and then I can start my game. He is NOT working on

-Time travel

-Teleportation

-Matter replication

-Pico or Femtotechnology

He can be working on Clarketech or stuff of that nature, just nothing on my no list

Any ideas?

2. Maximum7

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I’m making one last round on all the forums I posted on. I’m looking for something highly advanced.

3. Maikel Yarimizu

Maikel Yarimizu Level 10 (Filcher) LitRPG Author Citizen

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Cookie-cutter nano-assassination technology? That is, nanomachines designed to infect a target and then explode at a preset time, blowing chunks out of their tissues in cookie-cutter fashion? Or a similar application, using them to effervesce the target's bloodstream.

And depending on what branches of SW canon you want to mess with, this could also target midichlorians.

4. Maximum7

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    For my RPG profile, my scientist is studying sub-Hyperspace, the dimension in which quintessence can be turned into Phantom Energy and then travel to destroy star systems in real time. This is how Starkiller Base fires it’s weapon after draining a sun. (I’m sure Disney will explore it more in due time). However, in the mean time; I wonder what other things my scientist can study about it. Applications I’ve considered would be a sub-hyperdrive which would allow for instantaneous travel like Star Trek: Discovery’s Spore Drive. It also could be used for instant communications. Good stuff but too much of a gamechanger to tinker with. What else could my scientist be studying about sub-hyperspace?

5. Maikel Yarimizu

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    That's some pertinent information that could have been mentioned earlier.

So then, how about research into the workarounds necessary to make hyperspace entry collision a viable military tactic instead of a last-ditch desperation ploy?

6. Maximum7

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What could be done with nanotechnology?

7. Maikel Yarimizu

38%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Microconstruction, assassination, fermentation, and/or disabling the midichlorians (depending on how they're actually supposed to work/exist).

8. Maximum7

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Thanks!!!

9. TravisBach

TravisBach Level 15 (Guardian) LitRPG Author Citizen

71%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    You could work on the counter-measures to Starkiller, hyperspace-entry collisions, and instant intergalactic communications. Those are all strategic advantages that any military would be desperate to find defenses against.

Narratively, they are fun to work on as they are all problems that could be spiraling out of control - as they logically would if the story went on. Ex: A $50T Dreadnought killed by a single $5B cruiser via hyperspace collision this year. Five years of war later and now unmanned "suicide" Corvettes are bringing about the end of giant spaceships as we know them.

Now working on the counter-measure becomes a really big deal that could change the face of galactic war, but without actually introducing something even newer and more powerful