What Happened to Our Bodies?

Discussion in 'All Things LitRPG' started by Jun, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Jun

Jun Level 13 (Assassin) LitRPG Author Citizen

95%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I was just writing a scene in Freehaven Online Book 2 where the protagonist freaks out about not knowing what is happening to her physical body after being trapped in a game for over a week. She (correctly) assumes that someone's found her and put her on life support, but has no idea where her physical body is located be it in a hospital, the game corporation HQ, in her parent's house, etc.

As I was writing this, it occurred to me that I can't think of any other "trapped in a game" set ups where the protagonists care or even think about their meat suits. The closest that comes to mind is Continue Online when Grant has a medical emergency because of in-game stuff.

Can any of you think of any other books with trapped in a game scenarios, where the characters actually worried about their bodies? If so how were they portrayed?

Jay and Viergacht like this.
  2. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    One of my MCs is paralyzed in the real world and not in the game. He thinks about that all the time. They know, however, they're in cryogenic gaming boxes.

Jay likes this.
  3. Thomas Davidsmeier

Thomas Davidsmeier Level 12 (Rogue) LitRPG Author Citizen

0%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Dodge Tank and Shard Warriors by Rick Scott actually has a spectacular secondary story and trapped in the game thing going. I wonder if he's got his next book out yet... Hmmm, I should check. The main character was trying to earn money to fix his legs (also paralyzed) and get his mom as surgery for her cancer. BUT, their whole world is also in the balance (which they didn't know in the first book, ooo, is that called a spoiler? Woopsies.) with this really cool SciFi back story. At least, it looks like a really cool back story if it pans out the way it seems to be headed.

My novel is all about a game that is being played to decide the fate of a bunch of innocents back in the real world. So, the players are not worrying about their meat suits as they were transported bodily into the game, but they're worrying about the people they're trying to save.

Jay and Paul Bellow like this.
  4. Jay

Jay Hiatus. LitRPG Author Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

30%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I read one recently (Archemi Online Chronicles) where the MC thinks about it a little, but he knows his body is dead and gone. He refers to himself as a "ghost" several times. In the scenario, he had a terminal illness and agreed to be uploaded into the game for a chance to survive in some form.

5. MrPotatoMan

MrPotatoMan Level 13 (Assassin) Citizen

35%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Oh wow that might be the first ever LitRPG ive heard of where the MCs are selfless almost all the others they are doing what there doing for fun or for personal gain.

Jay likes this.