What happened?

Discussion in 'The Land' started by Nadernad, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Nadernad

Nadernad guy who reads litrpg instead of sleeping Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

76%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Human's Land of Oaks
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So what actually happened to the other forum? We've got new people, discussions about the land, a new sub-forum, a new group,etc. How did you guys end up here? Most new people in the least time ivI've ever seen here. Maybe one of you could tell me.

P.S. Paul, you can do ™ rather than (TM). Unless you meant something else.

2. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    The other forum was shut down /discontinued. They've been really cagey about giving real answers about why it was brought down, but according to them it was brought down and they have no current plans to reinstate it.

So for about a month the only option for discussion was Facebook, because we didn't know about this place. Also their current solution is a spoiler friendly face book chat, and his various different fan pages. It was awful.

Mister Bill and Johan like this.
  3. Nadernad

Nadernad guy who reads litrpg instead of sleeping Roleplaying Beta Reader Citizen Aspiring Writer

76%
    xp:
    Zone:
    The Human's Land of Oaks
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I see. I figured it was gone. By the way, who exactly are "they"? The moderators? Ty & enjoy your stay.

4. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yeah the mod on his MVM page, and then I also tried messaging him and received this Screenshot_20200214-103414.jpg standard copy paste answer. And by standard copy paste I mean after asking three times in different places I got the same answer where they plug the spoiler friendly chat with the smiley face.

Like I get it.... but really? A fb chat as a replacement for a forum site? Get f**king real

Also thanks, happy to be here

Paul Bellow likes this.
  5. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Good to have you with us. Funny story. I started this forum in May 2017. About a month or so later, Kong started his similar forum. I wished him the best. Now here we are...

I'm really glad I started this place because I've got to meet so many great people over the years. Here's hoping to three more years!

6. Johan

Johan Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

83%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    “Just a website builder,” Allen noted. “I really liked the forum you built.”
    “Thanks. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,” Saul shot back.

I remember coming here in July of that year. Though I don't think I posted. There was a good thread about what people like and hate about the series. Good stuff.

For our forum, Aleron might have actually started reading some our stuff again (used to comment infrequently on the Amazon forum) on his forum, which he hadn't done for years. There was a fair amount of Kong bashing one could say. But I think he didn't want to pay for it anymore. I suppose we weren't the followers he wanted? We didn't even get a chance to comment about book 8.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    Paul Bellow likes this.
  7. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Well Aleron has a whole team of fpææpwers, many of them acting as moderators on the various fan pages. They are also his inner circle that he apparently is quite open with about his opinions of various things, some of the things posted there are quite unkind according to one leak i've seen. Not that it matters, as long as he keeps that stuff private and releases the books I don't care that much.

AndyJ, ShoughtLoud and Paul Bellow like this.
  8. Hastur

Hastur Level 10 (Filcher) Exiles Citizen

28%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't recall us/the forum being really all that critical. The Lions share of it was what it was supposed to be. Discussion, debate, and prediction. Sure we caught errors but instead of being mad why not just hire better beta writers? Personally I always thought he could have made his job easier just asking the top 10 from the forum to beta(we would have done it happily and for free) and heck I know I would not have minded him using any of the ideas there. Seems to me that shutting down the forum around the time of the new book release was his way of shutting down backlash and that he knew it was going to be perceived as his worst effort to date.

9. Paul Bellow

Paul Bellow Forum Game Master Staff Member LitRPG Author Shop Owner Citizen Aspiring Writer

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wasn't he supposed to have a Family Guy book come out in February too?

10. ShoughtLoud

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Yup, spinoff /alternate series was supposed to release last month (God's Eye)
    Haven't heard any updates either.

Anywho which of your books should I start with?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  11. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Wow.

*Falls down not believing he has found another reader!*

Hehe. Serious, I would start with the Tower of Gates Omnibus. Also, Roguelike is a standalone that might serve as a good entry point, but it could use some more editing love, to be honest.

If fantasy isn't your thing, I have a post-apoc city-builder of sorts with Snow Punk, Gear Punk, and the final in the trilogy News Punk, being written now.

Any new readers are humble appreciated. I've been writing for decades now, everything from poetry to short stories to romance novels.

Once I found LitRPG in 2016, I knew I had found my literary home, so to speak. It's been a wild ride since then, but so much fun.

Thanks for the interest.

[​IMG]

Joe Schmoe and Johan like this.
  12. darkenedstar

darkenedstar Level 15 (Guardian) Exiles Citizen

20%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    So paul is snow punk the same book as core punk? Just renamed and rereleased?

Paul Bellow likes this.
  13. Paul Bellow

100%
    xp:
    Zone:
    Midwest, US
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Basically. Corepunk MMORPG dropped and ate up all the search results. And stopping publishing to work on the litrpg video game slowed down my momentum, so it was a good idea to retitle and relaunch, I thought.

I did find a lot of typos and corrected them. It'll be free this weekend, so I'd wait if you want to grab a new copy. Thanks for the interest.