What Spells would you like to see?

Discussion in 'Debates & Discussions' started by Andrew Lynas, Mar 4, 2020.

1. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Drakon the necrolord (from RoyalRoad, the rewrite just started) has good summoning and good base building, IIRC.

2. Andrew Lynas

Andrew Lynas Level 17 (Theurgist) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    There's some good Necro Spell idea's in "Extra Credit" from Amazon, hopefully it's a start of a new series.

3. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It would be interest to see how Language Spells would react with Richters Gift of Tongues Ability? Especially with Lower and Higher Languages, perhaps most particularly Lower Languages? Would they grant him longer temporary understanding or even permanent partial understanding (especially where Reptiles and (particularly) Draconic Beasts are concerned?)? Or no increases in benifits?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
  4. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I am relistening to the Books, so. He should Learn the Weak Strengthen Durability Wood Spell/Enchantment that his Elven Shipwright knows.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  5. Dragon

Dragon Level 19 (Enchanter) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean if you want to strengthen the wood, you really have to start earlier.

Say spells like,[ Fast Growth] doubling the growth speed of trees, combined with spells like [Slow and Steady] that slows down the growth of trees but allow them to grow denser and with greater magical potential for enchantments. Probably a lot of nature spells like that the sprites can teach Richter and of course, the pixies are nature's caretakers.

I could see Richter plant groves of various magical trees - nonsapient since this isn't a horror story - and strengthen them with his pop powers, whatever powers that allow the pixies to nurture forests (natural abilities?), sprite nature spells and perhaps some elven magic as well.

This is likely a 10-15 year project even with spells to speed up growth, but once such wood starts reaching Richter's shipyards it will be of a much better quality. Meaning more or stronger enchantments, runes, imbuements and so on can be placed on the ship.

Mister Bill likes this.
  6. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Should look into Learning the Blessing Spell that helps prevent bodies being raised as Undead that Sumiko knows.

7. Captain BlackJack

Captain BlackJack Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Citizen

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What better environment to grow a orchard of trees naturally inclined to absorb mana then the dungeon.

Mister Bill likes this.
  8. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    How about the real world where they have a thousand times the space and don't have to fight dungeon monsters over them every time they visit or get the Dungeon to not absorb the trees?

Mister Bill and Andrew Lynas like this.
  9. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Honestly, the Dungeon is a fine location, but it shouldn't be used as a one-size fits all solution to everything.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  10. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Putting some Cuttings of Tree's, Herbs and Plants into the Dungeon is fine, especially if they are Rare & Difficult to Grow Tree's and Herbs, but planting them outside of the Dungeon as well is a must, especially if you plan on planting and harvesting a lot. Backups are a must.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2022
  11. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    It’s all about growth. With using everything to your benefit a tree that takes say 20 years to make a saw-able log in nature will still take years longer then it would in the dungeon. The main problem still remains. Resources especially high value resources are still hard to obtain. I’m not saying that he shouldn’t try to utilize all of his lands or abilities. Shouldn’t it really be a no brainer? Why would anyone be so concerned as to make a tree farm a safe zone in the dungeon? Do you think those that mine for dungeon metals should have safe zones as well? That’s just to big of an expense.

And yes if I owned a dungeon it would be all about making it grow not only in size but knowledge. I would try my best to expand my dungeon into a improved real world version. Ricther would be fortunate if his dungeon created a lair indistinguishable from an untouched mountain valley full of trees and wildlife. Maybe it would indecisive to some violent semi sentient race unwittingly creating a settlement there.

Mister Bill likes this.
  12. Mister Bill

Mister Bill Level 16 (Paladin) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

39%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Plus you don’t want them to mutate and become worthless or poisonous to you or whatever.

Andrew Lynas likes this.
  13. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Are poisons not needed do they not hold a value as well? I’m not so sure that some mutated variants wouldn’t be more valuable.

It was said that the trees harvested for the table and tablets were very good at absorbing magic. So what if they do absorb magic while in the dungeon? Personally I would think that an excellent possibility. If it magically mutates the tree would likely gain a new function. Unless you only need a wood magically neutral or with the ability to absorb a single magic I see no problem. One full grown tree could provide everyone in the MV a wand. It might provide all of the guards a magical staff and a wand.

Mister Bill likes this.
  14. Captain BlackJack

84%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    What if the Dungeon were to grow a forrest full of magical trees?

So do the miners have to fight a monsters every time they enter a dungeon to mine ore? Perhaps I should ask is it still worth it for miners to mine in the dungeon?

Mister Bill likes this.
  15. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I don't know. Is it worth it to mine in the Dungeon, except if you are an adventurer who stumbles on a vein?

Will we see mining teams, or some groups with side professions as opportunistic miners to earn a little extra?

Its a good question.

I think its the later as the mining teams will have to fight monsters when they enter the Dungeon, with better or larger amounts of ore being deeper where the danger is greater. Dungeons use goodies to suck in adventurers, it wouldn't hold back against mining teams.

A forest full of magical trees would be good.

16. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Killer Dungeon Treents.

But back in topic, - Weak Undead Attraction/Bait Spell - Death Magic - this Spell can be used to Attract weaker Undead in the area to a specific location/person centred within that area - Range Touch - Duration 5 Minutes (increases with Mage Level&Affinity) - Area of Effect 50 Feet (increases with Mage Level).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2022
  17. ShoughtLoud

ShoughtLoud Level 18 (Magician) Exiles Beta Reader Citizen

81%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'm curious about spells that cross the basic element lines.
    Ex: soul trap is a spell that exists in all basic element schools, but is strongest in life and death schools. I'm curious about if there is a way to learn the 8 different kinds and somehow combine them into a better version. Or would that culminate in say the spirit school version of soul trap? Or is limitless just opening up the possibility of useless lines of inquiry? It seems like this should culminate in something but maybe it really would just be like "Congratulations! You learned basically the same spell 8 times. Have a cookie" - the universe

18. Andrew Lynas

87%
    xp:
    Zone:
    UK
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    Having Richter Learn Air, Dark and Water Soul Trap Spells would be useful in allowing him to Reach those Spells to his PoP Mages. Any others maybe just a Bonus.

Richter should look into Learning some of the Water Magic versions of Healing Spells, as well as any Dark & Air Healing Spells, then he can Teach them to his PoP Mages so they can assist in emergency Healing if needed. Plus it would offer Richter alternative Healing Spells when his Life Magic Healing is on Cool Down. Any other Magic type Healing Spells that he might Learn (Fire, Earth, Blood, ect) would just be a bonus.

Any Non-Life Magic Healing Spells are probably less powerful then Life Magic one's, and are likely to have some less pleasant side effects as well (for instance Fire Healing may well Hurt, a lot), and probably don't become available till much higher Level then with Life. Probably has a higher Mana Cost as well.

19. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I mean it removes the limitations on what he can learn, it doesn't create new spells from nothing.

Occasionally the universe awards really basic spells, but even that seems rare.

If Richter wants multi-element soul trap spells, its likely he will have to figure them out himself. I don't necesarily think such spells should be stronger than a pure one element spell though. Greater versatility would be the way to go in my opinion, with combo spells that cannot be cast by a one-power mage.

As Richter isn't a mage and barely qualifies as a spell-slinger, I think such experimentation is a long way off. He needs to master the basics first, get that mana manipulation to at least apprentice rank. I think its going to start cutting mana costs at higher ranks. on account of him having greater control over the mana going into spells, hence less waste.

ShoughtLoud likes this.
  20. Dragon

9%
    xp:
    LitCoin:
    Zorkmid:
    I'd like to see movement nullification and how deadly it would be.

Mister Bill likes this.